doing your OWN pre-wedding video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Major Player

doing your OWN pre-wedding video?

Okay, this is slightly off topic, but I'm interested to hear some stories or maybe even tips :)

I know Santo from PaperCranes made his own pre-wedding video, which was awesome! After seeing that, I'm thinking of doing the same thing, except that I haven't even proposed yet! I was bored yesterday, so I wrote out my own prewedding film script, including the proposal scenes. It's kinda interesting because I get to construct and plan on how I'm going to propose to her.

With that, I'm planning to shoot parts of the film on the actual day that I'm proposing.. this really gets me excited and is probably one of my most exciting project at the moment! haha.. except that I have to wait a few months before when I actually proposed.. and about a year before I can actually show the film on our wedding day.

As a note, we have been planning on getting married next year anyway. So in my case, I am 100% sure that when I pop the questions, she will say yes. :P

Anyway, I just wanna know if anyone have ever done this before? :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #2
New Boot

I have nothing really to add other than GOOD LUCK MAN! Even if you're 100% sure, it must be a little nerve wracking no?
Dan Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
After seeing that, I'm thinking of doing the same thing, except that I haven't even proposed yet! I was bored yesterday, so I wrote out my own prewedding film script, including the proposal scenes. It's kinda interesting because I get to construct and plan on how I'm going to propose to her.
Hi Johannes,
That is a great idea!
Are you planning to stage the actual proposal? Or after you have actually proposed? If it is the first, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of surprise and the actual emotions and reactions of your fiance?
Unless you put a hidden camera, then ignore my question.

But either way, it is a great idea!
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund Reboquio View Post
Hi Johannes,
That is a great idea!
Are you planning to stage the actual proposal? Or after you have actually proposed? If it is the first, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of surprise and the actual emotions and reactions of your fiance?
Unless you put a hidden camera, then ignore my question.

But either way, it is a great idea!
It is still to be planned. But several shots will be of me by myself prior to proposing.. probably I'll be shaking........... During the actual proposal, I'll try to get a hidden camera. Otherwise, if not possible, I'll just hook up a digital recorder on me and just get the real audio from it.
It won't be like a staged cinematic multi angle shots for on the day clips.. but just real enough as I will be proposing overseas.. so its not somewhere I can come and shot anytime I want heheh..
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I recently proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes. We are in the works of planning our wedding and I have dabbled with the thought of if and how I would film our pre wedding and wedding day. I know I want to have a camera there to capture the day, but I just can't imagine editing my own wedding video. I would much rather be surprised with a polished video that someone else slaves over, but alas my shoestring film maker budget does not call for any elaborate expenses at our wedding, heck I am already bargaining with video services with our photographer and DJ. Good luck Johannes and I hope it all comes out as planned.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

First of all, congratulations to those of you getting married. I have been married for 13 years, since before I got started in serious video. I have a video of my wedding from the stationary church video system, but I now wish that I had been able to video some pre-wedding stuff, as well as create some kind of highlight reel, etc. When my wife sees my video work, she says she would like to have had something like that for us. I envy those of you in a position to do it now.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey congrats Johannes.. but wat if she is reading this forum???? Ha i tink its great that u have written the script already. Get a buddy that can help you document it with a nice tele lens? U can always hook up a wireless discretely for audio or use a H1?

Of cse the easiest way out is to give Santo a ring =p
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Major Player

i just checked my mobile phone, there is no missed call.
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Haha, seriously I would LOVE to have Santo made the video for me!! But sadly budget is tight.. you won't believe how many diamonds & gifts I have to afford in traditional Chinese marriage! Told my gf, if her family wants to give me a gift for wedding, I wouldn't mind some L series lenses :P

Sean, she's not a geek type, so I'm sure she would never touch DVinfo haha. On the day, I might have my brother tele from afar. Hope it turns out well.... and most importantly, hope she'll say yes :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques