Serious rendering issues... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Serious rendering issues...

I'm needing some help quick. I've had every bit of any work needed done since Monday, all I had to do was render out the actual wedding videos. I have seriously been trying (unsuccessfully) to render out all week long, almost 24/7. I now have everything but the ceremony (about 51 minutes) rendered out and attached to the DVD but I'm STILL having problems with the ceremony. It'll go for about 5 hours (out of the ever increasing 8 hour estimated time) and then just freeze up.

Specs of my comp:
iMac, 2.66ghz core 2 duo, 8gb, 640gb hard drive (with only 20 gb left...I cleared stuff out to 40 gb left but it filled it back up).

The specs of the video:
NTSC widescreen that I'm trying to format out to mpeg 2-DVD.

Here's what I have tried:
1. Exporting straight from premiere to mpeg 2-dvd. (Set it and left it expecting it to work normal. Made it halfway through then went to a crawl)
2. Tried it again. (Same thing)
3. Exporting to h.264 and letting encore transcode. (Halfway through and just went to a crawl)
4. Moving it into an after effects composition and rendering it (some videos in premiere were linked to after effects so there was somewhat of an issue finding the dynamically link material)
5. Chopping the ceremony up into two parts. (Froze halfway through)
6. Chopping the ceremony up into 4 parts. (Froze halfway through)
7. Tried to render just the camera that was dynamically linked which I had edited in after effects. Last night it said it would be like 7 hours. This morning it says it has been running 8 hours and had 15 left.

Help!!!

1. Rending out the wedding video to a .m2v t
Ryan ONeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
New Boot

I'm a PC myself but, in my experience (I've worked on many hundreds of computers in peoples homes), any computer with only 3% hard drive space available is going to have trouble doing anything at all.

If you are running your operating system, programs and video data off of that same 640 gig drive you are bound to run into problems. It's best to keep your programs and data on separate drives. You need to leave a nice big chunk of open space on your drives to avoid fragmentation when handling large files.

I would think that this would apply to Macs as well.
Jim Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Jim. Although the problem may lies elsewhere, the few GBs available are a serious contender for the problem. Try to release some more space, or connect an external drive, transfer all project files there and retry. It may be slower (due to the USB transfer) but if it is an issue of space, it will most likely be solved.
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Major Player

I had the same issue recently.

I changed the location of where the files were going to be rendered, an external drive in the computer- a PC, and freed up some space on the main drive, for Temp files, and voila a finished DVD.
Old September 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Trustee

Ryan, lack of space for the programmes to render to must surely be the problem. Your descriptions sound exactly like that problem. Given how cheap 1Tb disks are I'd put one in first thing tomorrow. There's really no excuse pal.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input. I did clear out some space several times. I will definitely try to adjust where I put my info or export it.

It finally finished up for me after I prerendered the effects in after effects and then exported from ppro for about 18 hours without touching it. Haha...lesson learned. I
Ryan ONeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I've had problems like this in Final Cut Pro when I'm running 1080p. I'll just render very small portions (2 - 5 minutes or so) in the timeline. FCP renders these to a render scratch folder that it uses to render the final video. I'm not sure if Premiere will do anything like that, it's been years since I used it.

But yeah, anything over 80% on a hard drive and things can get sketchy.

T
Tim Gilbertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques