Wedding Editing - which specs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Editing - which specs?

I am upgrading my computer, but am unsure which component is more important for HD video editing. For the same price, one computer has 9GB memory and a 1.8GB video card, while the other has 12GB memory and a 1GB video card. All other specs (and make/model) remain equal. Which would be of greater value from an wedding-editing standpoint?
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Michael, may I suggest you check with the maker of your editing software as well as checking with other users here. In my experience the spec is much likely to be driven by the software designer than a users experience. They may even publish ideal/minimum specs.

Only then should the way you work and the need for specific features eg a render farm come into play.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Both systems you're considering far exceed the recommended specs for Adobe Premiere/AE and Sony Vegas.

Which video card you get depends more on the chipset than the RAM. For example, Adobe supports eight NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration. If it's not one of those cards, it wouldn't matter if you have 1GB of VRAM or 64GB.

Tell us what software you're running and the make/model of the video card choices and you'll get better advice.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm actually considering switching from Mac to PC, so I'd be using Adobe. One is a 1.8GB nVidia GeForce GTX 260, and the other 1GB GeForce GT220. Doesn't look like either are GPU accelerated.
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Go with gtx260. Adobe CS5 will be able to use the graphic card to accelerate the live previews.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques