how do you shoot ceremonies with your DSLR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM   #1
New Boot

how do you shoot ceremonies with your DSLR?

What sort of support do you use for ceremonies? We all know it's important to be unobtrusive. Do you use a shoulder support rig, tripod, monopod, etc? If so, which one?

What lens or lenses do you find helpful for shooting a ceremony?
Brian Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: how do you shoot ceremonies with your DSLR?

70-200 f2.8 on a tripod for me. Covered by a traditional camera wider (usually manned). 3rd camera(unmanned) in case of emergencies to cover another angle.

Although on saturday, a bridesmaid moved and stood in front of the 3rd camera during the entire ceremony(so its now known as the @ss-cam). Actually the photog stood in front of my #2 camera most of the ceremony - so that is my back up @ss-cam. I may end up using the DSLR footage for most of the (thankfully short) 8 minute ceremony.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Major Player

It really depends on the circumstances, but the front camera shoots closeups with a 70-210. The other DSLR at the back may use a 28-105 or may also use a 70-210 if it's a really long church and then a regular video cam set wide. All three of those cams are on tripods. If we have a roaming creative cam it's usually on a glidecam and slider with a range of lenses from a Tokina 11-16, or a 20 or 24mm.

The only time I will use a shoulder support (DVTec MultiRig) is if I'm shooting an outdoor ceremony and have the freedom to move around a little at the front during the processional. Then once the FOB hands off the Bride I go to a tripod.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Trustee

I use a monopod, my offsider prefers tripod and we have a 3rd dslr on a lightstand down the back

Lenses - both front cameras use 14-140 stock lens (Panasonic - so I can shoot a WHOLE ceremony)
back camera 45-200
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Brian,
Do a search for stillmotion on vimeo and watch their canon caravan series. Really worth watching and has answers to most of these questions.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Trustee

All tripod mounted. We have a monopos with feet but prefer the tripods for static positions.

I've also built a small device to turn the camera off after 11:30 (i.e. well within the 12 min limit) and auto restart it. Yes, there's a 1 second break in the record time but that's what other cameras angles cover nicely. This means I can now have unattended DSLRs as well, and can drop the use of video cameras if needed. I hate spending the time in post to match them up.

Now I just need to add my wireless trigger so I control when it recycles (so I can recycle earlier of the vows are coming up) and I'll be a happy guy.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Major Player

What is this small device you've built and how?
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Zhong, magic lantern will do the same thing.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Fiske View Post
Zhong, magic lantern will do the same thing.
It does - if you don't mind running hacked firmware. Personally I've not had much luck with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
What is this small device you've built and how?
It's a device that emulates the IR remote controller and mounts right in front of the IR receiver on the camera. It stops/restarts the camera at preset intervals, losing 1 second of record time each time it cycles. It keeps the camera running while ever there is card space and battery capacity.
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
It's a device that emulates the IR remote controller and mounts right in front of the IR receiver on the camera. It stops/restarts the camera at preset intervals, losing 1 second of record time each time it cycles. It keeps the camera running while ever there is card space and battery capacity.
I shoot with 7D's so Magic Lantern isn't an option. I would love to know more about this little device you've created. Any chance you can post a tutorial on how to build one?
Lance Watts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques