Wedding Videographer Poll at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 6th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Videographer Poll

Well, it's been a while since my last wedding videographer poll (see link below), so I thought it'd be interesting to check in with everyone and compare different techniques.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...pher-poll.html

1) For DSLR users, do you only film with DSLR cameras during the ceremony, or do you use anything else (HDV cams, etc.)?
2) How many cameras do you film the ceremony with?
3) What editing suite do you use primarily?
4) For a typical wedding, do you have one camera operator or multiple? If one operator, do you roam or stay in one location?
5) What is your most utilized lens?
6) How many trailers do you put together for the finished package? In other words, do you do one trailer for the pre-ceremony, one for the ceremony, etc., or do you do one trailer for the entire thing?
7) Do you offer Blu-Ray discs, and if so, is it standard or an add-on?
8) Do you post footage online (trailers, ceremony, whatever) as a standard offering for every package, or only certain footage for your portfolio?
9) Do you limit the number of hours you cover (additional cost for extra time), or do you just leave it open ended?
10) Do you post pricing and/or availability online?

Last edited by Michael Clark; March 6th, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Michael Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wedding Videographer Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
1) For DSLR users, do you only film with DSLR cameras during the ceremony, or do you use anything else (HDV cams, etc.)?
DSLR with an HDV wide angle back up.
Quote:
Four. 3 x T2i, 1 x HDV
Quote:
Final Cut Studio
Quote:
4) For a typical wedding, do you have one camera operator or multiple? If one operator, do you roam or stay in one location?
Work alone - roam.
Quote:
Candids: Pentax 50/1.2
Quote:
6) How many trailers do you put together for the finished package? In other words, do you do one trailer for the pre-ceremony, one for the ceremony, etc., or do you do one trailer for the entire thing?
One.
Quote:
Offered as add-on. Not much interest.
Quote:
8) Do you post footage online (trailers, ceremony, whatever) as a standard offering for every package, or only certain footage for your portfolio?
Highlight online with every service.
Quote:
9) Do you limit the number of hours you come out, with anything over that an additional cost, or do you just leave it open ended?
Unlimited event day coverage unless stated in the contract (as a cost-saving measure).
Quote:
Pricing yes, availability no. (I like having control over the referrals.)
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Major Player

2 x DSLR, 1-2 HDV for wide shot and XLR inputs.

3 to 4

Avid Media Composer

Typically, it's my wife and I. I will roam, she is stationary.

17-70mm f/2.8-5.6 Sigma for me
50mm 1.4 for my wife

1 trailer

It's an add-on, seldomly used :-\

trailers are standard. I'll sometimes post small changes or other clips if I want to.

9) Do you limit the number of hours you cover (additional cost for extra time), or do you just leave it open ended?

They must book us for 8, and then we charge extra at no limit
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

(1) No DSLR at this stage but quite possible later for photoshoots
(2) 2 cameras (HMC82's)
(3) Edits are done on Vegas 9 but authoring on DVDLab
(4) Single Operator and I do roam with the 2nd camera
(5) N/A at the moment
(6) I make clips of each event which go on the DVD then a shortened ceremony for online.
(7) I offer BD for extra but no-one has ever requested BluRay....!!
(8) All couples have an online video of their ceremony in the package (shortened to around 10 minutes)
(9) The website gives a max hours but I'm flexible.
(10) All prices are online and yes I have a booking calendar to 2012 showing provisional and booked dates

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Trustee

We used to have HMC151s but the last couple of weddings were shot entirely on DSLR (inc the ceremony). We are going to be 100% DSLR from here on, though of course nothing is forever, so in another year things could change again!

Between 3 and 6 depending on the venue.

Historically Final Cut Pro but we're transitioning to Premiere Pro CS5 (because of the time saving when editing natively). The next wedding will be exclusively PPro. We'll see what Apple has to offer 'when it happens'.

Minimum 2, sometimes more depending on the venue. We do not roam, that's why we have more cameras (some unattended). Roaming is generally not allowed and we'd only get in the other camera's way! Signing of the register is one exception.

Hard to say. We use them all as appropriate.

1 trailer, though not all packages include a trailer (i.e. the cheaper ones).

Yes. It's an add-on for all except the top package.

Only trailers go online. If some one wanted more I would be as accommodating as I could.

We quote 9pm, but we often stay later without charging if things are running late (e.g. first dance).

10) Do you post pricing and/or availability online?[/QUOTE]

Pricing yes, availability no, but we have thought about the pros and cons of both.

So Michael, what would your answers be?
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
1. 2 Canon 60D's and a Canon Vixia videocam
2. Three cams
3. Premiere Pro CS4 then authored in Adobe Encore CS4
4. All manned from Ceremony to Reception
5. Vintage Nikkor 50mm/ 1.4 and Canon 85mm /1.8
6. All chapters from Prep to Reception are edited as highlight videos, except for the vows, ring exchange and speeches...
7. Yes as an add on, however out of the 30+ weddings we've done we've only had 1 request for BluRay
8. Highlight videos online are a part of all our packages.
9. Open ended, all day coverage means morning prep to after the last major event at the reception
10. We post the starting price to build a package but no availability schedule.

Cheers!

Kren
Vertical Video Works* Winnipeg Videography
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks to everyone for your responses! After a few more days of responses, I'll compile them into a final tally. Here's my answers:

- 2 DSLRs and 1 HDV (Hope to move to all DSLR soon)

- 3 cameras. 2 T2i and 1 Canon HV40.

- Just made the switch from FCP to Adobe CS5, for native support. What a time saver! Good riddance ProRes.

- Two static cameras, 1 manned. I do not roam in the sense of taking a camera around, but I will try to adjust the static cameras at least once for diversity.

- Canon 50mm 1.4

- Used to do one for each, although switching to one total seems very appealing...

- Standard.

Trailer and ceremony (just started posting ceremony, since Vimeo increased their file size max to 5gb)

- I have not in the past, although I may start looking into it.

- Pricing yes, availability no.
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Major Player

DSLR only

3 to 4, although I think it's an overkill!

FCP

Multiple operator, two atleast, one will roam between 2 cams.

135mm f2.0L!! Woohhooo

One trailer. The rest are documentary style with 'cinematic' opening/ending.

No.. Not enough demands

Only the wedding highlight.

I do.. but in the last few weddings I've been too generous..

Only minimum price..
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm still a newcomer with only 3 weddings booked so far, but this survey looked fun to I took a shot at it. Here's what I'm working with for now...

only DSLR's

a 60D and a t2i

Final Cut Studio along with After Effects

One operator roaming with a monopod, while the other camera chills on a tripod

Sigma 30mm

Just one highlights video from the entire day.

No

I plan to put highlights from every wedding I shoot online, with permission, so that people will recognize my work.

I don't have set packages, for now I cater to the couples wants/needs.

No, I discuss pricing face to face with the couple.
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Regular Crew

1) I only use DSLR's.
2) I shoot with 4 cameras (3 7D's and 1 60D)
3) I edit with FCP.
4) Usually one operator. 3 cameras on tripods. 1 roaming.
5) My most used lens is probably the Canon 50mm 1.4 or the Tamron 17-50 2.8 but my favorite is the Canon 135 2.0.
6) One trailer
7) Yes, I offer BluRay
8) Yes, I post footage online for every client.
9) Some packages offer limited hours, some are unlimited.
10 Yes, I post pricing online. I do not post availability.
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #11
Trustee

Pana GH1's

Edius

always 2 operators

14-140

I 1-2 minute sample for facebook done within a week

no interest

yes - great advertising

each package has an hour limit

yes - I like to be up front
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #12
Regular Crew

1. two Canon XH-A1S and 1 flip for wide shots
2. 3, see above
3. Premiere CS5
4. 2 operators
5. none really
6. depends on package
7. Blu rays are standard on all our packages
8. yes
9. Hours vary per package
10. Pricing yes. Must call for availability
Doug Puckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques