T2i (or T3i) shooting weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

T2i (or T3i) shooting weddings

anyone here use these models for shooting their wedding events? if yes, can you please share your experience (or show samples shot with it) on what you used it for. i shoot primarily with a 7D and was thinking of getting two T2i on tripod and slider. thanks
Erwin Layaoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: T2i (or T3i) shooting weddings

Hi Erwin, a lot of the wedding clip samples in the forum uses T2i as it is highly recommended camera that I reckon would perform almost as well as 7D but would perform even better with the Magic Lantern. I haven't seen T3i in action but i'm sure it's about the same deal.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Erwin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin Layaoen View Post
anyone here use these models for shooting their wedding events? if yes, can you please share your experience (or show samples shot with it) on what you used it for. i shoot primarily with a 7D and was thinking of getting two T2i on tripod and slider. thanks
All events in 2010 were with three T2i - very positive experience. The links in my signature lead to samples.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Major Player

As mentioned before, the t2i with magic lantern should be the same experience you have had with the 7d, except now you have usable audio. I use them for the ceremony for extra reach.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Trustee

With all the benefits of Magic Lantern, the t2i could very well be a better (and cheaper) option than the newer model.

If you're willing to try the hack, not only do you save a few bucks on each camera body comapred to the t3i, you also get proper audio levels during recording, (not just in standby), headphone monitoring through the AV jack, zebras, histogram, peaking and other exposure/focus aids, and an automatic restart function that will start recording agian after the 4bg clip limit is reached. There is also an option to switch off the LCD screen to save power and help minimise overheating. These last two features mean that it can now be used as an unmanned b-camera as well - so you can have perfectly matching footage from multiple t2i's to work with in post, all for the cost of one HMC150.

The only real benefit of the t3i would be the rotating screen.

Despit the fact that I love the footage they produce, for the last year I have been strongly opposed to using DSLR's for weddings. Now it looks like Magic Lantern, and the t2i's recent price drop, have made this camera one of the best wedding cameras out there, even for single shooters.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Major Player

AFAIK video on the T2i/T3i is identical to the 7D. The only difference is the lack of color temperature control of white balance. So use a custom white balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
The only real benefit of the t3i would be the rotating screen.
The major benefit is the 3X-10X zoom function. Which is huge for weddings and events. So with 1.6 crop and the zoom function a 70-200 becomes a 112-3200mm. (Though apparently over 5X the image gets soft, but still up to 1600mm.) I can finally stop thinking about the massive zoom range I've missed since retiring my XH-A1.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Andersen View Post
AFAIK video on the T2i/T3i is identical to the 7D. The only difference is the lack of color temperature control of white balance. So use a custom white balance.

The major benefit is the 3X-10X zoom function. Which is huge for weddings and events. So with 1.6 crop and the zoom function a 70-200 becomes a 112-3200mm. (Though apparently over 5X the image gets soft, but still up to 1600mm.) I can finally stop thinking about the massive zoom range I've missed since retiring my XH-A1.
The rotating viewfinder is a huge improvement. The viewfinder is the main reason I use my 60D over the T2i and 7D.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #8
New Boot

I don't mean to thread jack.. but im looking at renting another camera for my next wedding. Would u rather rent the t2i or 7d.. then use the money u saved on renting the t2i for a lens? Idk.. i just feel whenever i watch something thats filmed with a 7d the whole feel just seems better than the t2i. Maybe thats just me.
Andrew Klokow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

That's just you :)
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
The rotating viewfinder is a huge improvement. The viewfinder is the main reason I use my 60D over the T2i and 7D.
Yep but the zoom is a game changer. If it's already in the 60D then it's not even new.
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Major Player

I don't do wedding much, but last year I did one and I used the T2i with the 24-70 lens and It was great, I had the A1 and H1 with it, but I ended up using the T2i most the time here is the highlights.
Eric & Margaret Wedding Highlights
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klokow View Post
I don't mean to thread jack.. but im looking at renting another camera for my next wedding. Would u rather rent the t2i or 7d.. then use the money u saved on renting the t2i for a lens? Idk.. i just feel whenever i watch something thats filmed with a 7d the whole feel just seems better than the t2i. Maybe thats just me.
That could be because so many more videos online shot with the t2i are from amatuers as opposed to professionals who are more likely to own the 7d.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
That could be because so many more videos online shot with the t2i are from amatuers as opposed to professionals who are more likely to own the 7d.
Ah yes that is a very good point!
Andrew Klokow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I shot this with a t2i.

On a side note: does anybody used magic lantern? I'm scarred to use it...
Jeremy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #15
Major Player

Jeremy, I just start using magic lantern, it's not scary at all, it has a lot of great functions that you could use I only use one function and that is focus assist, another great one is the zebra function,
so you can pick and choose which functions that works for you and save the configuration and that will stay all the time and you do not have to do anything else after that.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques