Wedding nightmare at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Trustee

Wedding nightmare

We have all had this happen to us, and no doubt will be repeated this year.

Enjoy! and cringe
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Wedding nightmare

Yes, this happens to us too. But a true professional covers the angles with at least another camera(s). Through creative editing, a professional makes the final product look good, no matter what kind of crap is thrown at us. As a professional, there is no excuse for bad audio, bad lighting, or bad white balance. We always cover ourselves and constantly move forward.

From this experience, you can either
1. Sit back, do nothing
2. Complain when it happens again the next time (Trust me, it will)
3. Be ready the next time, have a plan in place when (not if) it happens
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Major Player

That was pretty awesome.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Yes, this happens to us too. But a true professional covers the angles with at least another camera(s). Through creative editing, a professional makes the final product look good, no matter what kind of crap is thrown at us. As a professional, there is no excuse for bad audio, bad lighting, or bad white balance. We always cover ourselves and constantly move forward.

From this experience, you can either
1. Sit back, do nothing
2. Complain when it happens again the next time (Trust me, it will)
3. Be ready the next time, have a plan in place when (not if) it happens
I agree with everything but your first statement about a "true professional" having "at least another camera(s)." Professionalism has nothing to do with how many cameras you use. A "true professional" will work with the photographer(s), and address the issue promptly. If the photographer won't cooperate, a "true professional" gets more creative -- which is not difficult with one camera.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

This never stops being funny and continues to be relevant. Much existing discussion on this and many other existing threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ographers.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
Professionalism has nothing to do with how many cameras you use.
Well, sometimes it does. A professional plans for every eventuality and leaves himself options, and sometimes this requires backup hardware.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You should be smart enough to work this out before hand with the client and photographer their hiring. I've done both video and photography. When your taking pictures you can't be shy about getting in someone's way you need to get the shots and if you don't the client will be very mad. Often the priority goes to the photographer and if the client understands the result of that then there shouldn't be a problem. Like someone said you should have another angle to go to. My view of wedding videography is its a documentation of the days event and like it or not the photographer is part of it. I often video the formals photo session.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; April 11th, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
This never stops being funny and continues to be relevant. Much existing discussion on this and many other existing threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ographers.html

Well, sometimes it does. A professional plans for every eventuality and leaves himself options, and sometimes this requires backup hardware.
You're absolutely right -- I was referring to simultaneous cameras. I'm still a "true professional" even if I'm using only one camera for the shoot.
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

wow. they were everywhere. your music definitely lightens the mood.
Do you think if they see this they would be more considerate next time?
Serge Petchenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Well at least I found out who buys those silly toilet-seat-like light modifiers that Gary Fong sells.
Thanks for sharing
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

This is FUNNY! Thanks for sharing!
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
I was referring to simultaneous cameras. I'm still a "true professional" even if I'm using only one camera for the shoot.
We're talking weddings here, an event that cannot be recreated. If you're in the business long enough, you'll discover that something will go wrong with your shoot when you least expect it. It's not a matter of "if," it's "when." Over the years, I've had 2 cameras break down right before the ceremony started, but since I was prepared for it, everything went along as if nothing happened. If you're shooting with one camera without backup, it's just a matter of time....trust me.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Inner Circle

When I was still accepting Asian weddings, I did notice that they always seem to have at least two, often young, over-enthusiastic photographers who seem to feel that the "use a wide angle lens and get in really close" is the golden rule for wedding photography.

I did a video shoot of a Vietnamese wedding last year and the photogs were virtually like ants around the couple...in fact at one stage with the lens hood virtually touching the brides ring, he was reprimanded by the officiant. These guys seemed to work on the concept of more is better!! They must have about 3000 exposures each just during a ceremony.

I always explain nicely to my photogs where the fixed camera is and they seldom get in the shot although they might cross my field of view now and again. Most Western photogs here will respect the fact that the ceremony is a special event and shoot a little further back so everyone and work and the guests too, can see!!! I actually work quite often with a Chinese photog here who is a absolute joy to work with and stays out of sight but still gets great pics!!! He amused me when he said that he too, refuses to do any Asian weddings because of the chaos involved and the extra photogs they ask for!!

I guess the culture expects the photogs to take a huge amount of exposures and employ at least two cameramen because that's what the bride wants and expects....I certainly didn't see any signs of annoyance from the couple despite the photogs being "in their face" constantly!! In fact if you watch the video carefully you can see a few times where the one photog looked back at the videographer and then almost defiantly continued shooting.

You certainly have to give them 10/10 for their never-ending effort and enthusiasm!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
I was referring to simultaneous cameras..
Yes. So was I.
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Yes. So was I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
We're talking weddings here, an event that cannot be recreated. If you're in the business long enough, you'll discover that something will go wrong with your shoot when you least expect it. It's not a matter of "if," it's "when." Over the years, I've had 2 cameras break down right before the ceremony started, but since I was prepared for it, everything went along as if nothing happened. If you're shooting with one camera without backup, it's just a matter of time....trust me.
I'm really not looking for an argument here, guys. I've shot scores of weddings, and have had much success with one camera -- even though I often shoot with two. I actually enjoy the challenge of 1-camera shoots, because every shot counts. So, if in your minds, that disqualifies me as a professional, so be it.
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Corey

My weddings are 2 camera shoots BUT only for the ceremony so I can shoot some cutaways and angles and during the speeches to get some guest reactions so I don't end up with talking heads.

1, 2 or 5 is regardless if you can produce a great memory for the bride!!! I find that apart from the above, anything more than a single cam is really pointless...do the first dance with two cameras and two operators and you are then trying to keep the other camera out of shot!!

In fact I saw a "so called" professional video from a huge company here where most of the main footage had the bride and groom nicely framed with the bridal party and the 2nd cameraman was included in all the footage too!!! ... funny they also charge an absolute fortune for their packages too!!!

Whatever tools you need to do a great job makes you a professional...quality and creativity beats quantity any day!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques