DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Indian Wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/495847-indian-wedding.html)

Geoffrey Chandler May 13th, 2011 06:34 AM

Indian Wedding

For a regular "American wedding" I deliver a 20-30 minute "feature film" along with lightly edited raw footage. I sell a 3-5 min highlight reel as an extra add on.

I am meeting a couple this afternoon to discuss hiring me to produce a film for their traditional Indian wedding. I understand there are two full days of events starting with an engagement ceremony Friday and an engagement party/dance that night along with the actual wedding and reception on Saturday. I'm wondering what product I should deliver?? Should I make a separate film for Friday and Saturday?

Thanks for anyone with experience with this!

Geoff

Chris Harding May 13th, 2011 07:04 AM

Re: Indian Wedding

Hi Geoff

I shy clear of ethnic weddings totally!! I have been burnt once too often!!! We have lots of Indian couples here and if they share the same culture they truly expect you to film everything non-stop. Doing it on your own would be an exhausting venture... they are seldom interested in anything creative (however most here love the 80's style "floating hearts across the screen" and lots of fancy transitions) Unless the USA immigrants are different you will suck in a good 8 -10 hours of footage on your camera and they want every minute of it too!!! My local service station attendant had his wedding shot back in India and he has a pile of DVD's of the event...even at receptions you are expected to cover things like food serving and even guests eating and when they dance or have their rituals (and there are plenty of them!!) they must be captured faithfully without skipping a beat.

If you do it, be prepared for a long haul and certainly don't attempt it on your own!! I would consider it only with at least two other camera persons!!

Actually we have a local photographer who is Chinese and refuses to do his own people ... they expect everything and want to pay nothing so he only does Western weddings

Chris

George Kilroy May 13th, 2011 08:10 AM

I did a similar one a few months ago, having vowed not to do one again after experiences I've had in the past. When they engaged me I told them how I work, what I look for and how I put it together and showed them samples of the work that I do. They were very happy and the bride said that the reason she wanted me was because she had been bridesmaid at an English wedding I had done and I was unobtrusive and every key part of the day was on the DVD yet it didn't go on and on (i.e. run for 6 hours). On that basis I took the booking. They were having a traditional Indian ceremony on the Saturday morning lasting about an hour followed by a civil official ceremony at a nearby hotel with traditional British reception/speeches and evening party. I priced and booked for that.

As the date approached the first "additional" request was for me to go along the evening before for about an hour to record a small pre-wedding ritual. I agreed to that and said I'd add a nominal charge to cover the time.

The day before the wedding she sent me the agenda which went like this.
Friday 5pm attend local hall to film families arriving and greeting bride's parents.
Then arrival of Indian musicians.
Then bride's Indian preparation ritual
Then presentation of wedding gifts to the bride's family
Then a meal
Then parading of the bride around the hall with Indian musicians
Finale everyone dancing to Musicians.
End at 11pm.

Saturday.
Be at the temple for 9am to film families arriving.
Arrival of groom and Indian ritual.
Travel with bride's brother to collect bride.
Film bride's final preparation at home and leaving the house.
Travel back to temple ahead of the bride to film her arriving.
11am Film the full Indian ceremony
Film families as they congratulate the couple and present them with prashad (gift of money).

2pm Arrival of groom at the hotel
Arrival of guests and bride
3pm civil ceremony
Photos at the hotel including a walk around the lake which is wanted on film.
5pm speeches followed by a meal which is to be filmed.
7.30 first dance followed by general dancing and interviews with guests.
10pm Bride and groom leaving with Indian ritual.
(they actually left at 12.30am)

She then had the cheek to call me and ask if I could revise my price as it seemed higher than expected, her mother (who had devised the agenda) said she had to ask me to reduce the price. This
was on the day before the wedding.

I did do the wedding (but not reduce the price) but that, and the 'snagging list' of requests afterwards, is another story.

I don't wish to put a damper on anyones enthusiasm nor subdue their appetite for a challenge, but as Chris said, Asian families do have very particular requirements for wedding coverage, much of which you'll only be told about on the day. If you are unfamiliar with the reality of an Indian wedding get yourself up to speed and prepared for what will be expected. You will be there to work hard. If you are seen standing someone - bride's brother or uncle - will find you something to film.

Having said that you'll get some beautiful images to work with.

Just to give you an idea of the final offering.
I usually provide a 60-75 min edited douc style which includes the main part of the ceremony and full speeches plus a 5 minute highlights.
For the one above they had two DL discs of over 5 hours and still were picky about things that weren't on there such as an aunt talking to her on the Friday (she was sure she saw me filming) not enough shots of people eating at the temple after the wedding, her brother doing a particular dance at night, her favourite aunt saying goodbye at the end out of about 50 people milling around the car (in a dark car park at 12.30am). That's just part of the list.

Chris Harding May 13th, 2011 08:35 AM

Hi George

Glad it's not only me!! Asian and Middle-Eastern cultures are brought up with a completely different approach to a business transaction. In the Western world we transact on a "win-win" transaction where one party pays for services from the other party and both win.

Other cultures are brought up with a win-lose approach where the buyer needs to appear the winner in the deal and services procured are done so eventually at a greatly lower price so the service provider is the loser. Just bear this in mind when negotiating your price and make provision to be beaten down a fair bit or provide lots of extras at no cost. It's a natural way of life for them and I would suspect they the service provider begins with a grossly inflated price to allow for the bartering/haggling and also covering the provision of freebies and extras at no cost.

I think the other major issue is that in India videographers tend to work for almost nothing so brides expect the same sort of deal elsewhere. One would-be client was "outraged" at my prices when he contacted me. In India the ceremonies and rituals done over a 3 day period had cost him less than $300.00 and he expected me to do just a 6 hour reception for the same sort of figure. Luckily I told him I was booked on that day!!

My website now actually states that I only do Western Style weddings ... once bitten twice shy!!!

Geoff unless you seriously need the work I would think hard before accepting it ...it's a lot more in it than you think... !!

Chris

Jeff Harper May 13th, 2011 08:53 AM

I usually refer Indian customers to a friend of mine who does most of them around Cincinnati.

I've done one. If you know how to horse trade, and want to see a spectacle unlike any other, do it. They are stunningly beautiful affairs, your video will look amazing, as the affairs are usually brightly lit, and the colors of the clothing everyone wears is fantastic.

The young people all appear to be beautiful or handsome, as the case may be, and Indian weddings are unforgettable events.

On the other hand, most Americans are unfamiliar with the Indian way of doing business, and therein lies the problem, exactly as Chris has said.

I have consulted with a few Indian couples, and it often gets ugly before the contract is signed. If you do not know what you are doing and are not a master of negotiation, avoid it. When the parents get involved, it gets worse, and the parents are always involved.

I personally am not equipped with the negotiating or dimplomatic skills necessary to work with Indain families, but I truly wish I did. They are amazing affairs.

Google "Pacific Pictures" to see what they look first hand if you haven't already.

Geoffrey Chandler May 13th, 2011 08:56 AM

Thanks for the personal experiences. That info will make me a little more savvy as I meet the couple. When talking on the phone, they are interested in a "wedding film" that they understand will be 20-30 minutes in length - that's what I do. When we meet in person, I will ask them to tell me what they want to make sure we are on the same page. I will quote them a price that will take into account 2 full days. I'm thinking it would be like doing two weddings in one weekend, so I will price it that way. BTW- I will be using two camera people and one awesome assistant.

Jeff Harper May 13th, 2011 08:58 AM

You sound like a lamb being led to the slaughter, good luck. Let us know how it turns out!

Noel Lising May 13th, 2011 09:04 AM

I have done Indian weddings and I usually deliver 2 disc, marked day 1 and day 2. I have to agree though that some (but its is a minority) tend to haggle. Rather than give in I just tell them I'll give them extra DVD copies of their weddings.

George Kilroy May 13th, 2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1648791)
When the parents get involved, it gets worse, and the parents are always involved.

I think that has always been the difficulty in my experience in the past. The couple seem fine with agreeing to my style and what their friend have and that's why I've gone ahead with it, but as soon as it's booked the parents (bride's mother) take over.

But as you said Jeff they are an amazing visual spectacle which will provide hours of colourful images, and very few shy people.

Dave Blackhurst May 13th, 2011 12:20 PM

I know sometime I'd be tempted to do one, just for the visuals...

That said, I learned long ago in business that there are to put it politely, "cultural differences", which were well outlined above.

In the US we go to the store, look at the price on the shelf, and if acceptable we buy... bing, bang, boom... buyer happy, seller happy.

In other cultures, the "bargaining" is a major part of the transaction - think a open air bazzar, where the wares are displayed without prices, and the "art" is in the bargaining of the deal - eventually the "fair value" is determined based upon the skills of each party, and may not be the same for the next transaction.

I learned in another business that when "certain" customers with such backgrounds came in, I immediately quoted about double my usual rates, then took pleasure in the ensuing banter about many things, including the price, which was eventually agreed to be about my "normal" rate... I highly suggest that this strategy be considered...

If you quoted a outrageously high rate to a "westerner", they will usually just walk away and go elsewhere... to the "eastern" (there are LOTS of cultures with this mindset, not just the ones mentioned) buyer, this is an invitation to a spirited detbate and discourse over how you can charge such an outrageous fee, and this is part of "getting to know you", after which they expect a "friendly" price.

The parents are more likely to have been raised completely in such a culture, the offspring will probably be more westernized, so you have to take this into account - I'd fully expect the "deal" won't be "final" until the parents come in and "negotiate"...

Just a few observations from the "walk of life". Personally I find myself fascinated by other cultures, and don't mind learning the differences and how to work within them, if that's not your mindset, you might find it rather frustrating! I worked in an electronics chain store that was situated on the "borders" of multiple immigrant communities, most struggling to speak English and transact business - the other sales people wouldn't touch these customers, as they couldn't "speak the lingo", so I always took the challenge and learned to transact in a combination of gestures, language learning, and patience... I took home lots of "bonuses" for making sales to good buyers, when we could barely communicate. There are rewards in addition to challenges!

Philip Howells May 13th, 2011 08:55 PM

Geoffrey

I'd be tempted to recommend the most annoying "artistic" DLSR shooter I know.

Just kidding boys, just kidding.

D.J. Ammons May 13th, 2011 09:23 PM

I have enjoyed this thread a lot. Both amusing and educational. I will NOT be booking Asian weddings. I can appreciate the cultural differences but I am not into the haggling and as part of our contract we retain creative control over the edited / delivered discs.

The spectacle does sound amazing but I will be content with viewing some other videographers work!

I can't wait for Geoffrey to report back on this thread how everything goes if they hire him.

Jeff Harper May 13th, 2011 09:38 PM

Anyone that hasn't seen City of Lakes (Indian wedding film) do yourself a favor and check it out. At about 6:30 there is a music video. Pretty amazing stuff. Go ahead and turn HD off for faster loading. You don't need HD, the video is pristine, all shot with 7Ds, I believe.

Philip Howells May 13th, 2011 09:59 PM

DJ makes good points and represents the view of many who participate here. I certainly concur with the no haggling about the money part - we have a clear legal and binding contract and if clients fail to make the final payment they don't get the delivery.

But, and it's a big but.

Unless we see ourselves as Wedding Steven Spielbergs don't we risk the accusation of arrogance if we stick rigidly to the line that we are the creatives and you chose us as you'd choose a portrait artist on the basis of his previous work? In other words, take it or leave it. Of course, we are generally the experts in the relationship but I subscribe to the more modest view that whilst our expertise is undeniable, the clients are paying the bill.

I've recently gone through a lengthy approval, drawn out by the clients moving from the district and working overseas for a period. The bride sent me a lengthy 10 point message regarding the changes she and her husband wanted. Our first reaction was concern that so much was not right, especially as our processing means we get pretty tight specs from our clients.

However, when we examined the list more carefully, the requests were based really on a lack of understanding of the production techniques/limitations etc. It's one of the drawbacks of being accepted as the expert. The client wants shots of an ad hoc, unplanned event which happened in virtual darkness. Instead of taking offence at the "unreasonable demand", we needed to explain why it wasn't possible to record the sequence.

OK so the explanation required a longish message but the outcome was that the client understood why they couldn't have what hadn't been recorded, they understood why we chose to include the sequences we did and could choose whether to accept an alternative which was technically inferior but, because of the people in the sequence, their preference. For our part we could easily accommodate the other, smaller and less demanding changes.

The result is a programme which the clients regard as perfect, not necessarily in my technical or creative eyes but in theirs. In the balance involved in satisfying the client, I'm content to lose a little creative control without taking offence.

Chris Harding May 13th, 2011 10:00 PM

Hi Philip

I expected you to chip in with a comment, of course!!
Actually the rituals are quite fascinating and extremely colourful but they do go on for ages so it is painful to shoot!! When I still did ethnic weddings I expected the henna ritual to last a few minutes at most so I went handheld...bad choice!!! The rituals are highly detailed and precise and take absolute ages so you will have tons of footage.
I think it's absolutely essential to have some sort of understand of what will happen during each "process" otherwise it's easy to miss sections that you might think are un-important but are a critical part of the ceremonial procedure.

I found also that the "young 'uns" become quite "westernised" and are easy to deal with but as already said you need to satisfy the parents otherwise you will get into all sorts of arguments of why you didn't cover this and that!! With ethnic cultures the parents are still the bosses!!!

Chris

Steve Bleasdale May 14th, 2011 02:07 AM

Got a call to film an indian wedding in stoke england they wanted three days filming, explained to them i will only do a 40 min edit cinematic style, all agreed, got me down to £2,500 from £3000,
It was the worst experience i have ever had, planning goes out of the window, they wanted me here there everywhere, filming in aunties miles away filming various parts of the country because such and somebody cant come so.
Then when they get the dvd they want this changing that changing, a complete nightmare, personally will not do another indian/or pakistany wedding again, never never never

Chris Harding May 14th, 2011 08:20 AM

Geoff

I think that the general opinion should be pretty clear to you by now so it's really up to you to decide whether to attempt this shoot or not.

If it were me, I think I would echo Steve's sentiments of "never, never, never" !!! Mine was an interesting encounter but I don't think I would ever repeat it again either!!!

Chris

Kyle Root May 14th, 2011 11:35 AM

I shot one about 3 or 4 years ago...just me with 2 cameras... yeah never again.

The wedding events occurred over 3 days, in 2 different cities 30 miles apart... and it amounted to at least 24 hours of actual on-location shooting time (with the actual wedding day starting around 7:00AM and ending closer to 10:00PM - stuff was still going on, but that is when I left), with I'd say maybe 10-12 hours of actual footage on miniDV that had to be captured later.

For something that big and involved, it a fair price would be in the order approaching I'd say at least $6,000 and probably more along the lines of $8K or $9K... maybe even $10K!

I of course didn't charge but a fraction of that because it was more of a favor in my case for a friend.

But, ever since then, I only accept regular American/Christian type weddings. In and out in normally 3 or 4 hours. Much better!

Dave Blackhurst May 14th, 2011 12:27 PM

Take a look at the scale of Kevin and Patrick's work in that "feature presentation". I have to ask how much a production like that would cost? While it's beautiful, it has a huge "cast", a substantial "crew", , location filming, and although it WAS shot with DSLR's, the support gear was extensive... and in my mind should have a high 5 to low 6 figure "budget"... even if one considered it to be and "indie production" for a limited audience, there still have to be realistic production costs... I mean, really, ELEPHANTS?

OK, it's a cultural thing, and superbly beautiful, but I'd be afraid to even pick up a camera without a full storyboard! I love Kevin's work, though it does make one tempted to put down the camera forever... you have to substantially adjust your scope and expectations to even try to capture a "large" event with multiple locations and long hours on "the set"...

If the "general expectation" is for an extravaganza, there is an entirely different price structure at work, it's not a 15-30 minute ceremony/3-4 hour reception/edit to 60 minutes of gripping content proposition...

Thinking about it more, I'd suspect one would have to budget for a couple extra camera ops, at a minimum and multiply a "normal rate" by a factor of 4-6, plus the aforementioned double to allow for haggling - that'd probably be a more realistic "starting point" if one wanted to attempt one of these?

Danny O'Neill May 15th, 2011 11:41 AM

Hahaha Steve, that tends to be how those days go. You can see why the guys who specialise in Indian weddings charge so much. The couples will haggle, need a number of days and have change after change.

Weve done a couple of indian weddings but they were looking for a more western style of edit and way of working.

Some couples know that they can get a western videographer whos never done one before to do it on the cheap as they just dont know whats involved.

If you can handle it then it could be a very lucrative market to get into. As long as you charge enough going forwards of course.

Steve Bleasdale May 15th, 2011 05:36 PM

Maybe Danny but i think i will leave that one well alone, hope your ok!! steve

Sophie Bucks May 24th, 2011 06:55 PM

I think you are all crazy. We do tons of Asian weddings, Hindu, Sikh and Muslim, modern and traditional and they are great. We have had none of the experience mentioned above. The footage always looks fantastic as everything is interesting in the frame. The costumes and dress really look good even in average lighting. We have shot with 1, 2 and 3 camera operators all in differing locations, we are even doing one this weekend while currently editing an Hindu extravagansa with what must have been near to 1000 guests over the 2 days. Plus the food is fantastic.

Chris Bryan May 24th, 2011 07:14 PM

I've shot 3 full on Hindu weddings and have never had an issue. They have always been extremely pleasant to work with, were happy with the final product and referred new clients to me. Also, all three Indian couples tipped my nicely! That's not to say that you shouldn't have a well though out plan in advance. And I never let couples talk me down on price so I'm not angry after the fact at the amount of work I had to do at a reduced rate.

Raji Ahmed May 25th, 2011 12:39 PM

If I might chime in here, being that I'm Indian and actually got married recently and now am trying to get into videography in the Indian market, I would love to do this wedding.

First, In no way did I take offense to any comments or experiences anyone shared. I'll defend the wedding because I myself think its an event to remember. At my wedding, my husband had a lot of American friends who had never seen anything like our 3 day event. Its colorful, vibrant, music is always playing, food and drinks and dancing every single day...that being said, to film that event is not an easy task.

You have to know what you're getting into. Most Indians I know do have 2-3 days of festivities, but they don't usually hire professionals to cover all the events. The wedding ceremony and the pre-ceremony (from the same day) are important, and then the reception as any reception would be. But since the ceremony is long, what I would recommend, and a lot of people here do it that way, I would deliver 2 DVDs. One surrounding the Wedding ceremony, and the actual ceremony lasts around an hour or so and brides and their families really want that captured. They don't care fo anything fancy with the editing there, as long as the ceremony is covered. And than a few minutes of people congratulating the bride and groom and giving hugs and kisses and all. Then I'd do a second DVD for the reception. Thats where you'd cover the same things you'd cover at any wedding reception. Yes, the Indian couples usually want Everything filmed, but you can let them know that you'll capture all the events but on your final DVD you'll have the special moments, like cake cutting, first dance, speeches, a little mingling from the guests, and then about 10-15 minutes of dancing. That's usually enough for them. Usually.

Another thing to keep in mind, unless it's a modern Indian couple, yes, then they do like a lot of 80's style on their DVDs, like fireworks, Big Ugly Fonts and a lot of flash. Basically the cheesy stuff. If I were you, I'd recommend them to get one of their friends/cousins to capture the other events and tell them you'd do the most important day. And it depends on their budget, or your interest-level in how much you're willing to do. Just know that it'll be a FULL day of work.

Kiflom Bahta May 25th, 2011 06:00 PM

Even though i am not Indian, i find some of the comments very shocking. I do multi cultural wedding all the time my average shoot is about 16hrs in two days but i charge accordingly. You have to have a contract and stick to it. if you are new to the game be honest and show them your sample and tell how you are going to shoot their wedding. i capture everything i could and present to them in documentary style. About the cheese factor you can always say no to that and most of them understand.

Kyle Root May 25th, 2011 06:16 PM

I think as some of the other posts have mentioned... it's all about knowing exactly what you as the videographer signing up for, and when you're not totally familiar with the culture and what all goes on... you may set your price low... waaaaay to low, to make it worthwhile.

Similarly, it's hard to do set a price when you and the couple agree, and then the parents come in and start modifying stuff last minute and then asking you to film a bunch of other ceremonies and events that weren't part of the original deal.

Granted the wedding I filmed was a favor for a friend, but the fact that I had on location time of like 24 hours over 3 days in different cities etc... Minimum price on a production like that is easily $6,000-$10,000.

I swore I'd never do one, but I imagine if the couple wanted to pay the $10,000 cost I -might- do it.

Kiflom Bahta May 25th, 2011 06:31 PM

Great point kyle. Blame the player not the game.

Raji Ahmed May 26th, 2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta (Post 1652902)
Great point kyle. Blame the player not the game.

Nicely put :-)

Dave Blackhurst May 26th, 2011 01:23 PM

To sum it up... know what you're getting into (this forum has been enormously helpful should any of us have a ceremony we're not familiar with come our way!), price and quote according to the job, and if possible understand and be respectful of cultural differences.

Granted, someone used to a 15-30 minute ceremony and a 3 hour reception might go into "culture shock" when faced with a multi day celebration... heck, I get tired at a 2 hour kids B-day party... but somehow I'd still like to be a part of one of these extravaganzas some time... if the compensation is right (I think Kyle's $ figures are probably a good starting point, and significantly higher that "usual" wedding rates).

I also could understand how one would NOT want to be the videographer either... it looks like a lot of work, and not everyone is cut out for "getting outside the box" culturally... I watched Guy Fierri (Diners, Drive ins and Dives) eating a "pigs ear" sandwich, and even he was a bit squeamish, but I gather it's a delicacy! Dunno if I could do it... cultural thing I guess...

Terry Wall June 26th, 2013 10:13 AM

I just booked my first Sikh wedding, that came from a Photographer friend. I've already taken the time to browse a number of videos that were quite easy to find, so I have a good sense of what will be going on during the day (and evening!). And I knew I'd find some commentary on this forum!! I do want to thank Raji for her comments as they were sincere, and brought a nice perspective to the thread. As a (former) Marine, hard work doesn't bother me, and I'm sure the mantra of "improvise, overcome & adapt" will be put to the test. But it's all good...will report later!

Adrian Tan June 26th, 2013 06:18 PM

I've only done one Sikh wedding before, but I found it a lot more interesting and easier than Hindu weddings. I think you'll be fine as long as you have someone to guide you as to what's happening, like your photographer friend.

I'd recommend: zoom lenses, not prime, so you're ready for whatever; and being prepared to mic up three priests and a groom at the ceremony.

Terry Wall June 27th, 2013 03:02 PM

Thanks, matey!

Adrian Tan July 1st, 2013 10:09 PM

Random thought on Indian and Arabic weddings -- I get the feeling that many couples from these cultures put themselves into debt. There might be cultural pressures/expectations to: (a) invite everyone, hundreds of guests; (b) do a bunch of rituals -- have to have the horse carrying you to the ceremony; have to have days of festivities; and (c) put on a big show/outdo your friends.

For instance, I can recall one Indian groom who was a taxi driver, and another Indian groom who was an airline luggage handler. These guys must have been on low incomes. But the receptions -- amazing.

I suppose this shouldn't matter to vendors; you've still got to make the business viable. But I do think the debt they're putting themselves into is part of the motivation for such couples in looking for bargains, quite apart from the general expectation in these cultures that every price is negotiable anyway.

James Manford July 2nd, 2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Tan (Post 1802858)
Random thought on Indian and Arabic weddings -- I get the feeling that many couples from these cultures put themselves into debt. There might be cultural pressures/expectations to: (a) invite everyone, hundreds of guests; (b) do a bunch of rituals -- have to have the horse carrying you to the ceremony; have to have days of festivities; and (c) put on a big show/outdo your friends.

For instance, I can recall one Indian groom who was a taxi driver, and another Indian groom who was an airline luggage handler. These guys must have been on low incomes. But the receptions -- amazing.

I suppose this shouldn't matter to vendors; you've still got to make the business viable. But I do think the debt they're putting themselves into is part of the motivation for such couples in looking for bargains, quite apart from the general expectation in these cultures that every price is negotiable anyway.

I have close friends that are Asian (pakistani/indian), having met and known them since my days at College and then University.

The way I see it and have actually been told by one of them is that the parent start saving up for a wedding way before it's even their childrens time. It's like a seperate mortgage for a home. The money goes in to a seperate pot just for the wedding, jewellery etc.

Yes some families may get in to debt, but the majority apparently pay for everything with money they actually have. The 500+ guests they invite all gift pretty well too (because what ever they give is generally returned at THEIR childrens wedding - value wise). The money raised in gifts may even pay upto 50% of the bills of the total cost of the wedding who knows?

And when's the last time you saw an Asian down your local pub every friday & saturday night? they don't really spend their money like we do. We'll go out and drink every weekend, there is a lot of money to be saved when you cut out things that are a necessity to most of us.

It's all a cultural thing. We would all be so boring and bland if we were all the same ...

If you look at India, Pakistan, Bangladesh ... every tom dick and harry is a entrepreneur in every street corner selling and bargaining to put food on their table! Haggling is just part of their culture. I mean Bengalis in the UK are known for the Indian restraunt trade. Then you have pakistanis well known for owning Chip shops and being taxi drivers. And again, Indians are known for having corner shops, clothes shops, jewellers etc. It's all changed now though with the new generation being bought up and educated here. But the parents who initially came here, were known to go in to those sectors of work and trade.

Chris Harding July 2nd, 2013 06:06 AM

The Quinceanera on the other side of the pond I believe is even more costly with families saving up to have this massive 15th birthday party for their daughters and spending a fortune! Maybe even two mortgage's worth at least with a huge amount of money spent and multiple live bands.

We don't have 'em here and I don't think the UK has a big enough South American population for them but they must be quite a thing to film! They supposedly spend more on these than a wedding so that must involve a fair bit of scrimping and saving to host.

Some events are more important to some cultures than others and that's what makes it so interesting.

I'm shooting a Somalian wedding reception on Saturday ... anyone ever done one of these before.

According to the couple they have about 160 guests ONLY the women (yes, you heard me right!) and the bride and bridemaids arrive and make their entrance about an hour after the festivities begin (yes, ONLY the bride and bridesmaids..no groom!) Towards the end about an hour before it ends, the poor Groom and Best Man make an entrance and the couple cake the cake, do a first dance and leave together

Chris

James Manford July 2nd, 2013 06:12 AM

Sounds interesting.

I've heard of segragated weddings although i've never filmed one. But a female colleague has been asked to film just the women only at a muslim wedding (not all muslim weddings are like this though ...) even though at the end the bride and groom get together to cut the cake and everyone starts to mix!? makes no sense to me.

I got a feeling as time goes by, weddings will get more and more modified with traditions being thrown out the window.

Noa Put July 2nd, 2013 08:20 AM

I have filmed many different cultures but no 2-3 day Indian wedding yet, but to be honest, I don't like doing them. If I take on a typical Belgian catholic wedding I never have a issue, I stick to my basic way of working, the client gets informed about that, they like what they get, pay and never complain again but I can say that at least 50% of non Belgian weddings there are discussions afterwards.

I have done a Indian wedding a few years back which only lasted one day and after I delivered the dvd I received a list of edit changes they wanted me to do for free, even though I told them when we first met that I don't do that, at least not for free. It was also mentioned in my contract but they didn't read that either. So then the parents got involved and it became a long unpleasant discussion. I told them what the extra cost would be, they refused to accept, eventually I lowered the price and they accepted. It's not the way I like to do business but it was draining too much energy and time and I just wanted it to stop.

I still do other cultures but I"m very careful when we first meet, I very clearly say what they can get for the price I charge and what they don't get. I also tell them that exceptions are possible but at a cost and I tell them what that cost is and then I mention this in the contract as well in the comments on the first page what is optional and at what price. If it comes to a discussion now I point to the contract which they signed, no negotiation anymore but clear agreements and prizes.

John Knight July 2nd, 2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1802939)
So then the parents got involved and it became a long unpleasant discussion. I told them what the extra cost would be, they refused to accept, eventually I lowered the price and they accepted.

Same experiences as Noa. I've worked out over the years that in cultural weddings the extended families (especially on the brides side) have a lot of financial and therefore creative input into decisions that get made, causing blurred communication lines when dealing with western vendors - who are used to the 'what the bride wants' rule.

Most noticeably are the young Malaysian and Singaporean couples. Multiple receptions are often planned to cater for extended relatives, and things like flowers, colors, family photo lists, speech orders are consistently being changed right up until the day because they hold far more significance than what we are used to.

Give me a white trash wedding any day! :)

D.J. Ammons July 9th, 2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1802939)

I have done a Indian wedding a few years back which only lasted one day and after I delivered the dvd I received a list of edit changes they wanted me to do for free, even though I told them when we first met that I don't do that, at least not for free. It was also mentioned in my contract but they didn't read that either. So then the parents got involved and it became a long unpleasant discussion. I told them what the extra cost would be, they refused to accept, eventually I lowered the price and they accepted. It's not the way I like to do business but it was draining too much energy and time and I just wanted it to stop.

Posts like yours that I read around four years ago when I started out doing Wedding Videography are the reason we have made the decision not to do "cultural" weddings.

Life is too short and days too long to go through the kind of pain I have read associated with the expectations never seeming to be met and negotiated pricing and contracts seeming to mean nothing after the fact.

If a culture has as part of it this kind of mentality I will leave their wedding videogrphy to someone who shares those same values. Someone on this forum pretty much summed it up when they said that in Western culture business is done on a win-win basis where you negotiate what both parties feel is a fair and good agreement. Many Eastern cultures operate on a win-lose basis where they feel only one side can win in a transaction and it has to be them. One person on here had a good solution in that he starts with his stated price very high so that it can be negotiated down to the point the customer feels they won but he is really about where he wanted to be anyway. Of course that does not address all of the other issues involved like the customer being very hard to please with a final product.

We do traditional and redneck weddings here in Tennessee and out of probably two dozen weddings have never had a single customer ever ask for the finished product to be re-edited. Of course we make it clear in our contract that we have complete creative control and we point that out to them. They can see what we have done for other couples in their highlight reels and have confidence we know what we are doing and will deliver what they want. We also consult with them before the wedding about any special requests such as extra footage of an aging grandparent or great grandparent, etc.

Chris Harding July 9th, 2013 10:52 PM

Hey DJ

I think one of those posters was me! I most definitely do a backwards pedal when it comes to ethnic weddings BUT I have done a couple that are "westernised" I did do a Somalian one last weekend as work is very quiet in July and I figured I might as well do it as the guys was very nice and very Westernised again. I did post some comments in Members Only on this but essentially no parents were involved and it wasn't really a wedding ceremony as such but just a bridal photoshoot followed by a girls night out for the women with a tiny bit of the couple at the end ..they prohibit guest photos and video so there was little to get into trouble with (from 2pm to midnight I amassed a mere 29 minutes of video!! Easy money but REALLY boring!

It probably makes sense to avoid (very nicely of course) ethnic full weddings unless it's part of your culture and you know what you are doing ... I don't blatantly refuse them on my site but I do state that all our packages are designed for Western weddings so talk to us first. If it looks like it's going to be a non-advisable venture I simply tell them sorry I'm not equipped to handle it.

Chris