Shooting Reds at Dance Recitals - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Shooting Reds at Dance Recitals

Dialing back saturation in PPro CS5 was something I tried on the linked clip. .Also fiddled with levels Helped some but did not get rid of the banding.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #17
Major Player

This was what I uploaded after getting the heads up on the Colorista Saturation fix. As you can see, even at -60, the blue doesn't go away much.

I have shot a ton of footage where performers were under hot lights but never encountered this "swimming in color" affect LEDs seem to have. I agree that saturation isn't going to help the rest of the issues, but the poor cam was probably "internally hemmoraging" trying to figure out what to do with all that red.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #18
Major Player

I appreciate all the replies. (I deleted the youtube clip in case anyone else was going to look at it.)

His lights were a mixture of LEDs, so who knows for sure what was happening.

As for gain ... my best guess at this time is that it was on auto, but I wouldn't swear to it. If it was on auto then the top side is set for 15. I've never used hyper. Would I be better off to just set it for something around 9 to 12 knowing they from a lighting aspect that it's going to be a black light effect on one end and all lights up on the other?

When I spoke to their adviser after the show, I told her about the solid reds and solid blues. She said they have spoken to their students before about the use of those colors simply because they are being judged on their performance and when they go red or blue the audience cannot see faces. Apparently they don't really care ... they just like the wild effects.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #19
Major Player

Well then, wild effects is what they get, isn't it? If your audience is pleased, leave it alone. No accounting for personal taste.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques