Shock horror: Photographer and Videographers work together at wedding - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:15 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Shock horror: Photographer and Videographers work together at wedding

"I'm shocked you didn't give them a table to sit at inside the wedding ballroom!"

That would be the last place I'd want to take a break at a wedding. I prefer a back room well away where I can take my shoes off and relax for a while.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:40 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
"I'm shocked you didn't give them a table to sit at inside the wedding ballroom!"

That would be the last place I'd want to take a break at a wedding. I prefer a back room well away where I can take my shoes off and relax for a while.
That is very true. I'm just so use to things happening so quickly down here that if I'm away from the room I can end up missing some key moments with my clients. I retract my statement! :)
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:54 AM   #18
Major Player

Once the bride and groom have taken their place I keep well away from the room until just before the speeches. It is one of my stipulations that I don't film anyone eating. It gives them sometime out of the 'spotlight' and the guests don't have to worry that they'll be seen on the video stuffing food into their face.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:04 AM   #19
Major Player

I agree with that but I don't film weddings. I film Quinceanera's and once she starts greeting people it's back to work for me.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:20 AM   #20
Major Player

I had to google that. I learn something new every day.

I think a video of a girl's fifteenth birthday here would be a very different thing to the ones you do.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Just for interest George

At ethnic weddings (which I only did one and never again) you are expected to film the guests serving themselves and eating too..the couple need to know that their guests are enjoying their food!!

In fact they expect everything to be filmed non-stop ..the very reason I only ever did one!!!

I have done a Barmitzvah once when the usual Jewish videographer couldn't make it ..much like a wedding.

A Quinceanera's are a big deal in Spanish culture (as important as a Jewish Barmitzvah) so parent's are quite happy to have all the trimmings...don't see any in our part of the world though!!!

I have had the odd request for a 16th Birthday but the Mom just about choked on the cost..I guess she figured it would only be $100 or so?????

I must admit I like to have a "service table" in the corner away from guests so I can see what's going on and not miss anything..the photogs and I once were about to tuck into a nice steak when the MC called the FOB for his speech..luckily the venue kept it warm for me!!! I try to have a seat with an "overview" now so nothing is missed , despite having the reception running sheet which is often not adheared to!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM   #22
Major Player

I have had the privileged of filming a few Asian weddings and yes, at the first one I was almost manhandled around the tables to film what brothers, uncles or cousins thought I should be filming and at the most recent one, which I posted about recently, one of the complaints I had was that I didn't film the guests eating.

As for the Quinceanera, I'd never come across that term or event before today, but then there are not that many Spaniards where I live, though I have travelled quite widely in Spanish speaking countries.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
...I think a video of a girl's fifteenth birthday here would be a very different thing to the ones you do.
Most definitely. It's just cool to see or read how things are different from region to region. Good conversation George.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques