Music during bridal preprations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Music during bridal preprations

Just wander how others dealing with this situation.
When ever covering footage from the bridal preparation I always try to get some talking and emotional comments to the bride. As well ambient sounds, like drawer opening and so on.
The problem I am facing is music in the background and sometimes loud music.
I do advice to the bride that it will better without music or low volume music but not all of theme like the idea.
Like to hear others comments about this one.
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Music during bridal preprations

Dror, we ask for all music to be turned off so we can hear and record the chatter and explain that we'll mix it with their choice of music in post when the music can be contiguous which is can't be if we edit between shots. We've never had a refusal. Probably the key is that it'll be their choice of music we'll be using.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dror Levi View Post
Just wander how others dealing with this situation.
When ever covering footage from the bridal preparation I always try to get some talking and emotional comments to the bride. As well ambient sounds, like drawer opening and so on.
The problem I am facing is music in the background and sometimes loud music.
I do advice to the bride that it will better without music or low volume music but not all of theme like the idea.
Like to hear others comments about this one.
Hey there, Good Question, we always record what ever is playing, this way they (your customers) bride and all feel at home. When i ask them to turn off music, etc... i do not get the true moment that is needed. I Always let the customer play music as they please however loud they want. Then when the editing comes i mix the footage with a nice getting ready or a song from their list. You will find doing this will also get great results and you will be able to show the moments you need.
Dipesh Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I also either ask for the music to be turned down or off and then remix with their favorite song... Unless you are filming non-stop (which really shouldn't happen at a bridal prep) editing snippets of video together will also give a very disjointed audio track unless you make your clips very long!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Major Player

I generally try not to alter any of the ambience that the bride has created. If the music was exceptionally loud though, I might request to turn it down a bit when we were filming so we could pick up the sound bites. I did a shoot last week where the bride received a card sent from the groom. She agreed to read it out loud. We knew it was going to be an emotional moment so we asked to turn off the music completely while we filmed the scene. How about hairdryers?

Art
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Major Player

I think I will adopt Philip way and advice the bride prior to the wedding of not playing music during filming.
I think it's all about education.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques