Next-Day-Edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Next-Day-Edit

I've seen quite a few people adding a NDE tag to their highlights videos and always got me wondering if this is actually something that's worth mentioning.

Specifying that a video is a Same-Day-Edit adds real value and recognition to the work as we all know how big a challenge it is to accomplish a high quality SDE in such a short period of time, and how big an impact it is to the client's experience.

To me, a Next-Day-Edit simply sounds like a failed SDE and therefore, I wouldn't see why it needs to be mentioned

Your thoughts?
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Next-Day-Edit

I couldn't disagree with you more. As far as I'm concerned it is exactly what it says it is. I have done one and it was just that. After the wedding was over, we went home and offloaded all the cards. The next morning we started the highlights video around 10am and finished around 6pm. It was not a failed attempt at anything. We actually did it for free, just because we were interested in how fast we could do a highlights video. Yes, we are trying to move to offering same day edits but I think there may be a market for next day edits too. Some brides are really excited to see their videos after the wedding, because they miss alot of the day. I think it has some value, but definitely not the same as a same day edit. The bottomline is people will pay for impatience. Whether thats the same day or the next day. As a matter of fact every time I order from BH Photo, I overnight it because I'm so impatient. The last thing is, I think its impressive to do a same day edit or a next day edit, because most people take much longer.
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Bear in mind that a lot of brides go on honeymoon the day after the wedding so they are more concerned with packing luggage and getting excited!! I just stick to delivery within 7 days for non-honeymoon brides and "as soon as you get back" for the others and they always comment how awesome it is to get their wedding so quickly!!

I really don't think that an SDE or even a NDE would increase business and I certainly haven't had a request for it at any time. I really can't see the point in killing yourself with a fast edit unless the bride expects it!! One photog had his photoshoot up during the reception and the guests were so busy eating and drinking that virtually no-one looked at it.

If you feel it will bring more sales (and that's why we do weddings) then I really don't think offering a SDE or a NDE will make any difference

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Major Player

It depends on your delivery time. My usual highlight edit comes out 1 month after the wedding. Not because it takes that long, just because I'm busy with something else. I think if I put NDE on my package, some may want it.

But I'd rather push for SDE. It's definitely a lot of pressure but its also more rewarding, a great marketing tool, plus you go home without any obligation to edit the highlight again.

Chris, the last two weeks I've had shown 3 SDEs in total. A lot of them are so amazed at how quick I can edit and still produce a quality video. It seems that a lot of Perth population aren't aware that SDE exist or even possible.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

This year, I've done sneak peeks the day after and put them up, and without fail the buzz created is amazing. The bride calls and writes everyone telling them about it. The reactions is quite interesting and builds tremendous goodwill with the customer.

I do not mention in advance that I might do it. I spring it on them as a surprise, and that is 90% of what makes them so excited and grateful. I have received cash tips for my efforts that were totally unexpected.
Old October 13th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I do understand the value of a NDE in terms of delivery time just like how Keith compared it to an overnight shipping from UPS.

Therefore, it absolutely makes sense to offer the NDE as a "delivery option" to let the clients know that they could receive their highlights faster if they wanted to.

However, my question was more about the need to add the "NDE" tag in the title of a video and whether or not it would make it more interesting for the viewers to know that a certain video is the result of a Next-Day-Edit.

From a client's point of view, I can imagine that watching a sample of a SDE will give them a fair idea of the kind of entertainment and experience they will get on the day of their wedding. I normally also film the reaction of the crowd during my SDE presentations to show my future couples what kind of buzz it creates and how much fun people have at the reception when they watch a SDE.

From a professional point of view, I would normally pay more attention when I watch a SDE because I'm aware of the challenges so I'm always curious to see what people are able to achieve in that short period of time. Since the level of difficulty is higher, there is a lot to analyze and learn from watching someone else's SDE.

But I fail to see any difference between a NDE and a regular highlights video other than knowing that the clients received their highlights earlier than usual. For that reason, I'm wondering whether or not it's even necessary at all to mention it in the title of a video.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #7
Trustee

The problem with SDE labels is that a lot of people cheat. They claim it's an SDE, but they fixed problems and tightened things up the next day, before posting it online. So a lot (if not most) of the SDE's you see online are really NDE's. We do true SDEs. We burn a dvd and give it to the couple during the wedding reception.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Whether people cheat or lie about the SDE label is something we're not able to control or verify. But I would just take their words for it.

My question was really about the value of the NDE label (not the value of the NDE service)
Long Truong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques