Logistics and security of cameras and equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Logistics and security of cameras and equipment

G'day

I have been asked to shoot a wedding that is being held 550 kilometres from where I live. That in itself isn't a big problem. The problem is that to cover the travel time, accommodation and meal costs of a second shooter puts my price beyond what the happy couple can afford.

Without a second shooter the logistics of the exercise become way more difficult. Some background....the wedding service is to be shot on a beach and the reception will be held a few hundred metres away in a resort. I can only get vehicular access to within about 100 metres of the beach location and 30 metres of the reception rooms.

Back to the issue.....This means lots of lugging of equipment and lots of equipment being left unattended for the time it takes to carry a load to or from my vehicle. My question is this...is it kosher to have one or two of the guests (perhaps nominated by the bride and/or groom) assist to pack equipment away and help carry it from location to location? Have any of you ever had to recruit guests to assist you and if so, how did it go?

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Logistics and security of cameras and equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Heaton View Post

Have any of you ever had to recruit guests .....
Russ IMO the keyword here is GUESTS.

You don't invite someone to a party and then make them do the dishes afterwards, do you ???

What you might want to seriously look into is a local laborer for the day, to assist in hauling, set up, tear down and security. If you can shoot it solo, all you need is a strong warm body then to help you get your stuff from one point to the others.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

G'day Chip

Good thoughts. The town is very small, but there should be someone looking for a couple of hour's work. I only need hands and feet and would not expect them to do any of the technical stuff. Thanks for the idea.

Cheers

Russ
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Russell

Where on earth is Cossack????? Just interested!
I often do shoots at Margaret River/Yallingup which isn't as far (about 260kms) and what I do is treat those shoots as a little "holiday" and take the wife ( also as a security guard/labourer) The bride pays for my travel costs and I basically cover the Sunday costs and we go and spend the day enjoying the sites.... if we were to go from Perth on a "weekend away" it would cost me fuel and accommodation plus meals but by slotting it in as business/pleasure ...it's actually a cheap weekend away...the bride will give you a meal at the reception and I'm sure she would also be happy to feed your wife/girlfriend as well.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

G'day Chris

Cossack is on the Pilbara coast between Roebourne and Point Samson. It's about a half hour drive from Karratha. The population of Cossack is two....I'm half the population. The shoot is at Exmouth. I don't really have the opportunity to turn it into a weekend away, unfortunately. I'm actually planning to drive down on the day of the shoot and return at sparrow's the next morning. This one is pure business.

Cheers

Russ
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I usually take my wife as an assistant for those rare occasions when we are far from home. But, I also have my two eldest sons (teenagers both) who are in training with me. But as mentioned, take your wife as an extra help and a mini vacation at the same time.
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Russell

Wow!! that's quite a drive!!! So what you are saying is that 50% of the entire town are wedding videographers??? I looked on Google and yeah it does look somewhat sparsely populated!!!

Your only real option then is to hopefully befriend a guest and get them to look after gear for you!
I had the same situation when doing receptions in the city here. I used to have to make 3 trips to and from the parking garage and venue to get all my stuff together, which, of course, means leaving stuff at the venue where it can easily go missing!! I found the hotel staff will often assist and watch gear for you too.

I solved the problem with a custom built aluminium trolley which takes two cameras, tripods, cases and all the lighting gear in one trip!! That way you can load it up at the car and wheel it into the venue without any issues or worries about things going missing!! It's actually just 1" square aluminium tube made into a multi-level trolley by using some very clever Australian plastic DIY coffee table joiners called "Connect-It"

Check them out when you are in a town that has a Bunnings (in the aluminium stock section)

Maybe it will be worth you while to find someone there who is willing to be your security guard for $50???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques