Highlight Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 19th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #16
Major Player

AJ.

Your colors were gorgeous. All MB?

I like the idea of using the song intro as bed for the vows.

Some shots were shaky but nothing practice won't remedy. Is the dissolve from the winery to the dance intentional? The fast pan seemed distracting and off from the overall pace of the video.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua
AJ.

Your colors were gorgeous. All MB?

I like the idea of using the song intro as bed for the vows.

Some shots were shaky but nothing practice won't remedy. Is the dissolve from the winery to the dance intentional? The fast pan seemed distracting and off from the overall pace of the video.
hi jason! thanks for the comments!

the colors were done using fcp's color corrector filter, an mb custom filter, and mb's misfire vignette filter. it's a bit drastic, but i was feeling crazy.

yes, some of the shots are shaky! this was our first shoot using a varizoom shoulder harness (one of our many experiments to get smoother shots) and it worked better than handheld, but still didn't do the job. we are now using wide-angle lenses and monopods to minimize the shake on our moving shots, and it's been the way to go. but for some shoots, i shoot shaky intentionally (see the beach footage at http://www.infinite-studios.com/movies/BehindMenu.mov for example).

the fast pan was deliberately included. i guess not everyone likes it. ;-P

thanks so much for taking the time out to comment.

p.s. i'm filipino and i notice you shoot in the p.i.... i'm curious, how is the videography market down there?
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:19 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hello A.J. ...another filipino here :) that was a nice clip you got there, three camera set up for the ceremony? that's very nice and expensive (here in manila)

I think the fast pan was a bit nice for me, it sets the mood for the fast dancing...i don't know if that is right, that's just me :)

how do you do the slow motion of the clips you have? I tried slowing down the speed but seems like it's stroby for me. but yours...way years ahead in terms of smoothness in slowing down, can you share how you have done it? thank you in advance. about the shakiness, I also shoot like i'm riding a horse hehehe but I really need to improve on that :)
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:56 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
Hello A.J. ...another filipino here :) that was a nice clip you got there, three camera set up for the ceremony? that's very nice and expensive (here in manila)

I think the fast pan was a bit nice for me, it sets the mood for the fast dancing...i don't know if that is right, that's just me :)

how do you do the slow motion of the clips you have? I tried slowing down the speed but seems like it's stroby for me. but yours...way years ahead in terms of smoothness in slowing down, can you share how you have done it? thank you in advance. about the shakiness, I also shoot like i'm riding a horse hehehe but I really need to improve on that :)
hi leonardo! the slow motion initially has a strobe effect in fcp (i've taken footage as slow as 5%), but it goes away when i add mb. magic bullet interpolates so well that it takes the strobe look away. even when i don't want to use it as a look filter, i'll use it for better slow motion interpolation.

re: smooth moving shots, i've progressed from handheld to glidecam to varizoom shoulder harness (used in this clip) to wide angle lenses to monopods... all in search of a smoother shot. the wide angle lens, imo, is necessary to stabilize the shot (after a lot of practice, i'm pretty smooth shooting handheld these days), and monopods make for pretty smooth cranes, tracks and dollies. these days, i've dumped the glidecam (too hard to get balanced and not ideal for a live event, imo) and only use the shoulder harness about 10% of the time.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 05:10 PM   #20
Major Player

Hey AJ.

The videography market here is much like the internatinal market.

A handful of videographers who charge accordingly (and can make aliving out of doing this full time. But mostly comprised of people who charge next to nothing.

The key distinction is that photographers here (90% of them) offer video services as well.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Briones
- i am using the stock video card that came with the powermac plus a second video card (radeon 64mb)
A.J. Personally I liked the cutting you did between the B&G as well as the colour correction. Do you mind a slightly unrelated question or two? I'm also considering a second video card in my G5. How do you find the colour balance between the monitors on different cards? Dose it perform just as well as two monitors on one card? Finaly :-) does Motion use your main AGP card for playback?
TIA
Nate
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Schmidt
A.J. Personally I liked the cutting you did between the B&G as well as the colour correction. Do you mind a slightly unrelated question or two? I'm also considering a second video card in my G5. How do you find the colour balance between the monitors on different cards? Dose it perform just as well as two monitors on one card? Finaly :-) does Motion use your main AGP card for playback?
TIA
Nate
hi nate. thanks for the kind words.

i'm using a video card pulled from my good old powermac g4 933. scrubbing video on the second monitor with my shuttle pro is a bit sluggish compared to the stock card on my g5 (note that this happened when i upgraded to fcp 5 studio, i did not have this problem with fcp4)... i'm actually thinking of upgrading it for a beefier card.

the color balance is pretty close, but it's more a matter of difference between my adc driven apple studio display and my nec monitor, i think. my third monitor (off brand) is even more off (slightly darker, slightly redder), but it's no matter since i only use it for menus and other apps (terminal shell, itunes, email, etc.). in fact, lately i've been driving both canvas and viewer windows in monitor 1 and using monitor 2 for the timeline and other windows. it's quickly becoming my favorite way to work.

interesting question about motion... haven't had time to use it lately (behind on editing). i would suspect that it would only run video on the agp card because of the system requirements, but i'm not sure. i'll let you know when i find out.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques