What to do when Weddings are Scarce? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 24th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: What to do when Weddings are Scarce?

Hi Warren

My feelings exactly..weddings are happy occasions and I love doing them but I have turned down requests for funerals and don't think I will ever do one...I wouldn't have liked to have been in your position!!

Realty Shoots still keep me busy during the week and stop me from getting bored..I get around 4 a week and that keeps the wolf from the door..they are hardly creative (I do condition reports for rentals) but it's really easy work and keeps my cameras (and me) busy!! There is no budget issues either..every house/apartment my agents rent out gets a shoot at a fixed rate and they pay me at the end of the week...it only brings in around $36K a year BUT it keeps me active!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Major Player

I really try not get affected when shooting funerals. I don't listen to the speeches and try not to look at the emotions of the greiving family. The only time it really affected me was the time when the deceased has the same name as me, so when they were shouting " Noel" when the casket was being lowered, it made me think how fragile life is.

But in the end, it's a job that needs to be done =). No highlights, no glidecam, just pure straight documentary.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I've been contacted about funerals a couple of times but have never accepted, for the same reason that Chris mentioned. Weddings are fun and happy, funerals not so much. Some of the staples for weddings such as shots of guests arriving, reaction shots during speeches, etc., would not work for funerals as people don't want to watch themselves crying. Especially not in crystal clear sparkling high definition.

For those that have shot funerals, do you just focus entirely on the service - the priest talking, eulogy, readings and so on, and capture absolutely nothing else?
Bernie Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Johansen View Post
For those that have shot funerals, do you just focus entirely on the service - the priest talking, eulogy, readings and so on, and capture absolutely nothing else?
We cover all those plus tasteful shots of the coffin arriving in the hearse being unloaded & carried by the pallbearers. Nice establishing shots of the venue. It's not so different to shooting a very low
key wedding but with all the guests in long shot. Get some favourite photographs of the deceased & then you can do a slideshow or montage at the end of the DVD to end on a high note.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I guess it's very much like the start of a wedding reception..sorta the speeches part and as long as one avoids the weeping family, it's really just a video shoot..a record of an event.

I think my avoidance is mainly due to the fact that it's a sad occasion and I don't like sad occasions..then again at least everyone behaves at a funeral and you are highly unlikely to get a wild drunk best man crash into your camera. I would say that Nigel seems to film the event and keep the dignity and rather make it a celebration of life with the slideshow at the end.

Chris
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #21
Major Player

Chris.....you've never been to an Irish funeral then :-)

at least a rural one, i've been to some where a bottle of whiskey would be produced at the graveside!! that would be following a two or three day wake.
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #22
Major Player

It's also difficult to upsell yourself at funerals because you don't want to offend anyone. Sometimes selling copies, or creating highlights even feels like you're taking advantage of someones unexpected time of grief. I would be happy to do more if they would book 6 months in advance!
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
I Contacted schools offering to film their productions for free, just ask for exclusive sales of DVDs with a minimum number. I have 5 or 6 regulars.
The same with local dance and am/dram groups, again a few regulars and the odd one-offs.
I've contacted events organisers and I've picked-up quite a few seminars, company promotions and charity events. I either produced video inserts for presentations, provide live cameras for cctv room screens or records the event for them to send out to those that attended or for their use as a tool to attract new sponsors for future events.
I also have a nice connection with a health and safety compliance company producing individual induction videos for companies.
George I'm interested in what sort of license you obtain from PRS for such a production to cover the music
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Peter

George is currently enjoying himself in rural France but will be back in a week or so. I'm sure he will scan the forum when he returns. He did say that internet connection where he is is tricky at the best

Chris
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #25
Major Player

I love it when the last wedding of the year is done, pack the cameras away and get on with my first love. The wedding season is over, but the shooting season has begun, www.endsleeshoot.co.uk After spending 44 years behind cameras, and now in vey enjoyable,semi retirement, it is bliss to be out in our woodland, working the dogs, and making some money in the process, this to me is total bliss.
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
George I'm interested in what sort of license you obtain from PRS for such a production to cover the music
If it's recorded music I use the Limited Manufacture Licence. 100 copies of a 2hrs show will cost £128 and include it in the selling price. If they cannot confirm 100 or more I ask them to obtain the licence.

Limited Manufacture Licence (LM)

If it's live musical performances such as a commercial musical (i.e. Grease) where they will have bought the score and script with rights to stage a number of performances from the publisher they will have had the option to purchase a 'Grand Rights Licence' a the same time to record the performances. I advise them of this and leave that entirely to them but do ask to see that they have it.

http://www.prsformusic.com/SiteColle...ts%20Guide.pdf

Some schools write and score their own production with original music and lyrics, such as Nativities where copyright is not an issue.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kilroy View Post
If it's live musical performances such as a commercial musical (i.e. Grease) where they will have bought the score and script with rights to stage a number of performances from the publisher they will have had the option to purchase a 'Grand Rights Licence' a the same time to record the performances. I advise them of this and leave that entirely to them but do ask to see that they have it.
A Grand Rights Licence may either be prohibitively expensive or simply not be available for some popular works.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #28
Major Player

For schools and none commercial or charity productions there are special rates I believe. I know that a couple of schools I've worked for do obtain licences when they buy the script and score packages. It will be different for a theatre with paying public or companies wanting to make a DVD to sell to the public, rather than parents.
They are not as easily obtainable in the straightforward way that the PRS LM licences are.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Hi George

I did a dance recital that used very up to date commercial music and to save all the hassle they arranged the recording and performance licencing themselves. Then again these guys do this every year so they obviously are pretty familiar with the procedure and being an "educational organisation" they do get a lower rate. In the UK are you covered if the school obtains the necessary clearances and then employs you are the videographer?

Chris
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #30
Inner Circle

It's not a given that a Grand Rights Licence can be obtained for an amateur production. Andrew Lloyd-Webber for example is very protective of his revenue stream & keeps a tight control over productions of his musicals even by schools or youth groups. So a Grand Rights Licence is available for Joseph & His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat but not for any of the other works e.g. Jesus Christ Superstar, Phantom of the Opera etc Check out his licensing site http://www.stageamusical.com/
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques