instant replay solution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Tourist

instant replay solution?

Have a new client that is requesting instant replay of video footage. We are producing cheer competition DVDs that are marketed to participants and capturing from two SONY AX2000. We also need to provide video feed to a panel of judges that desire instant replay capabilities. We can dedicate a third camera to provide this replay feed but are not sure how to enable instant replay. The judges do not want to interface with a computer and video editing software (FCP) or wait the few minutes to produce an on-the-spot DVD. Any suggestions welcome! Are there methods to record to a DVR from a camera that would allow instant replay? Thanks.
Bob Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: instant replay solution?

Ok, these are probably dumb suggestions, because I'm untechnical, but anyway...

1. Capture to an external recorder that has playback. I've never personally used an Atomos Samurai or Ninja, but would that cut it? Presumably could also get an HDMI or HD-SDI loop through from this to TV or similar.

http://www.atomos.com/samurai/

2. There are some TV sets that can record and pause live TV, aren't there?

LG's new TVs can record and pause live TV | News | TechRadar

So, if you could send a signal from your camera to such a TV, presumably the judges could record and playback from the TV set...? If they forget to press record, that could cause problems though.

3. Recording to hard drive. Depending on what camera you have, it's possible to record a file directly to hard drive and view it in something other than an editing program. For instance, recording P2 to hard drive with Adobe OnLocation or something, and then using a P2 viewer to watch it back...?

4. Couldn't you just record to a camera, connect camera to a TV, then operate playback from the camera? For instance: get an HDMI out from a DSLR?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ive done a load of Cheer comps and all you need is a DVD player/recorder with chase play or timeshift function. Record everything you shoot and when the judges want to review a routine, hit the rewind button and play from any point you want.

Steve
Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Major Player

What about something like this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/830423-REG/EverFocus_ECOR264_4F2_500_ECOR264_4F2_4_channel_H_264_DVR.htmlThe security DVR recorders should be good enough quality for IR. I have also heard of people buying a Replay TV used system off of Ebay and using that to do IR.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Major Player

This may/may not meet your specific needs.
I often shoot events with similar needs, i.e. ability to quickly show footage that was recorded just minutes earlier.

I use a Panasonic HMC-150 w/Class 6 SD cards, so I'm recording in AVCHD.

I have 8 cards @ 8 GB each. When it's time to show footage, I simply remove the card from the camera, copy it to a hard drive, and play it in Windows Media Player under Windows 7 Pro. It suits my needs, but may not suit yours.

I basically remain behind the camera once I've removed the card, because I actually hand it off to someone else who does the actual copy and backup, and plays it when requested. This takes me less than 30 seconds to change cards, and the time for copying depends on how much is on the card. Perhaps Class 10 cards might speed-up the copy process, but I'm may not be as hard-pressed for time as you may be.

I have 2 laptops (1 with a quad-core i7 & 16GB RAM, and 1 dual-core Centrino with 16 GB RAM), both running Win 7 Professional, and both with at least 1 SSD rather than a hard drive.
The AVCHD footage plays back at normal speed with no problem. (For some reason I haven't yet figured out, I cannot play the footage in slow-mo using Windows Media Player, but I suspect that's because the AVCHD footage is so highly compressed).

Hope this helps shed light on some method that might help you.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Major Player

This may/may not meet your specific needs.
I often shoot events with similar needs, i.e. ability to quickly show footage that was recorded just minutes earlier.

I use a Panasonic HMC-150 w/Class 6 SD cards, so I'm recording in AVCHD.

I have 8 cards @ 8 GB each. When it's time to show footage, I simply remove the card from the camera, copy it to a hard drive, and play it in Windows Media Player under Windows 7 Pro. It suits my needs, but may not suit yours.

I basically remain behind the camera once I've removed the card, because I actually hand it off to someone else who does the actual copy and backup, and plays it when requested. This takes me less than 30 seconds to change cards, and the time for copying depends on how much is on the card. Perhaps Class 10 cards might speed-up the copy process, but I'm may not be as hard-pressed for time as you may be.

I have 2 laptops (1 with a quad-core i7 & 16GB RAM, and 1 dual-core Centrino with 16 GB RAM), both running Win 7 Professional, and both with at least 1 SSD rather than a hard drive.
The AVCHD footage plays back at normal speed with no problem. (For some reason I haven't yet figured out, I cannot play the footage in slow-mo using Windows Media Player, but I suspect that's because the AVCHD footage is so highly compressed).

Hope this helps shed light on some method that might help you.

Addendum:
I do this for specific equestrian events, which are run in groups of 5, and each individual "run" may only be 30 secs long. Once I have 15 "runs" on a card, I normally switch-out the card, hand it off to someone for copy and backup, while I get ready for the next group of 5. Once I have the next 15, I repeat the process. With 8 cards, I can shoot 120 "runs" without having to worry about copy/backup time, but that's been so short, it hasn't been a problem fr me. The main requirement is having someone to copy, backup, and play when requested.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Trustee

What about getting an old SVHS deck, like a JVC BR822? Simply connect from camera to deck, and add a monitor. Record event, and when needed, judges can stop and rewind tape themselves. Cheap and easy, and everyone knows how to operate a deck.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques