Zoom Q3HD - Two Birds - One Stone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Zoom Q3HD - Two Birds - One Stone

Ok guys so I'm looking for audio recording options currently and came across the Zoom Q3HD recorder which also shoots HD video.

First instinct was that this could be useful! Thinking more practically, I imagined mounting it on a light stand, at about elbow height, and plonking it at the front of the aisle looking at the b&g who would be facing each other for their vows. Would mean an audio recording from about a meter and half away and also another camera angle to jump to quickly in edit.

Tell me why this isn't a good idea. I know video quality probably isn't fantastic, but I find for DVD quality, we sometimes get too hung up on these things, especially for just the odd clip.

Anyone have any advice? Good idea/bad idea?

As it stands I work with two cameras in the corners which is fine if you don't mind seeing only one face at a time during the vows.

Also, don't diss the audio quality, because I've really only been considering Zoom H1 / Tascam DR-05 with my budget anyway.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Zoom Q3HD - Two Birds - One Stone

I can't see its field of view in the specs. but I suspect it will not be sufficiently wide to get worthwhile shots that close, the more so because it would be in locked-down unattended mode and the slightest error in placement = no usable footage. Plus the couple would not be in shot once they sit down etc.

The low light performance may not be good either.

And a device on a lightstand so close is going to intrude on lots of your other shots.

You would probably be better served using a GoPro. Also small cams like the Panasonic X900 / TM900 can be stealth cams and are very affordable plus good in low light. I use them attached to pews using friction arms and all sorts :- )

p.s. the Zoom H1's are excellent for wedding work.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques