Kinda different montage attempt.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 13th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Actually, the airplane pic is supposed to be backwards...sort of. Since the layers are in 2D 3D, when the camera spins it is looking at the "back" of the photo and therefore it appears backwards. I suppose I could turn that picture around though....

Good eyes...

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #17
Trustee

I also noticed the backwards photo, but I assumed it was intended, since the camera angle swung around. Good job overall, it was very entertaining to watch.

I've been looking for a reason to play with AE, maybe I'll try replicating some of your style and see if I can do it.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Caution. "Playing with AE" is likely to evaporate vast amounts of your life. But in a good way....

Mike
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Man, that was rad! I now have fully realized how non-creative I am. Arrgghh! I don't know whether to throw in the towel or lock myself away for months on end trying to figure out how to do something half that cool! Thanks! :)
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #20
Major Player

Just pickup a book on AE.. After Effects 6.0 Hands-on training will show you how to get started with basic 3D space.. Although the examples become lame with the monkey.. You learn how camera left becomes your friend.. :)
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I really am a fan of the Meyers books. I have all three and will probably buy the revised editions of at least two. They are easy to follow, written in a way I understand and have lots of pretty pictures. Can't say enough good things about those books.

--Pat, thanks for the heads up, I spoke with Pixel Pops and we are working it out. They are VERY nice guys....

Cheers

Mike
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #22
Regular Crew

WOW that is amazing!!!!!

Is there any possible chance you could do something like that in an NLE like vegas or do you need to specifically use AE?

Thanks for sharing this Mike - Really, really neat.
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I don't think an NLE will do it. You need something with cameras and 3D space. At least, as far as I know which is not too far....

Thanks for the comments!

Mike
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #24
Regular Crew

OK Mike.

So, in order to do what you accomplished in this piece what do I need to go buy?

After Effects 6.5 standard or premium?

Any add-ons?

If I use vegas as my NLE does that make any difference to any of this?

I am still in shock at how cool that was.

KIM
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Well Done, Im very impressed!
I done something similiar but not as good, and it took me ages. Do ppl realise how much work and effect go into it???

Did you charge then extra for that service?

I like the idea of using frame styles from photoshop too, it adds a more pro and thoughout through idea and feel!

good job!
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #26
Regular Crew

also just been looking at some of your other work!
im impressed, well done :)

wot camera do u use?
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Kim - I believe AE 6.5 standard will have everything you need. I think exponential keyframes is a Pro feature and I did use those but you can still do it with standard, you just have to fiddle around a bit more. I used Photoshop to prep the photos too. If you have not used AE before just go get Chris and Trish Meyers first book at the same time. You will not regret it.

The NLE won't matter. AE renders out in just about anything you want. You just render something that vegas will like (quicktime is a safe bet) and drop it on the timeline. Presto. Turn perfectly usable days into mere seconds of video.....

Antony - Thanks dude, nice words. I did not charge extra for this one. I had a client that has been very good to me and wanted to do something extra for her. As for cameras, three PD-150's.

Thanks again folks.

Mike
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #28
Plays didge when lubricated

Excellent work Mike, would you mind sharing what resolution you used for the images. Obviously with the zooming in and out it wasn't just 72 dpi.

Cheers...Paul.
Paul Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cook
I really am a fan of the Meyers books. I have all three and will probably buy the revised editions of at least two. They are easy to follow, written in a way I understand and have lots of pretty pictures. Can't say enough good things about those books.

--Pat, thanks for the heads up, I spoke with Pixel Pops and we are working it out. They are VERY nice guys....

Cheers

Mike
Mike if you don't mind sharing the final resolution with them, I would like to know.. I have been thinking of getting a template from them, so it help me in knowing how they work all this out..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #30
Regular Crew

A

First I cropped and sized the photos to just a bit bigger than a video frame, usually about 800 wide or 500 tall at 96ppi depending on the setup. Any photos I knew I was going to zoom into I kept up around 150 or 300 if I was planning on getting real close but kept the dimensions about the same as the others. Another way to do that is keep 96 dpi and just let the physical size increase then scale down in AE.

Most of the time I worked in 1/4 resolution in AE and that seems fine for photos. Ram preview goes pretty quick that way.

Hope that answers your question!
Mike Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques