What shotgut mic should I buy? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 18th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: What shotgut mic should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi James

Both my cams have the good ole Rode Videomic on them and at weddings during pre-dinner drinks I also do interviews and having tried a whole bunch of mics, these, for me are still the best..they have the ability to punch thru a lot of background noise (sorta 50+ people chatting) and I still get clean audio on the interviews. I'm normally less than 10' from couples/persons saying something nice for the bride and groom so it's becomes a "video guestbook" My Rode's are pretty good at ignoring side noise so the audio is certainly very clear despite often loud background ambience.

If you are doing the same thing then it's a tough call for a mic anyway and I think ideally a tiny lave would work better but I normally have less that 30 minutes to go thru maybe 10 - 15 couples so having to clip on a lav would be a serious time waster.

One thing I should mention is that I use shoulder-mount cameras so the mics do have an advantage as they are already almost 6 ' in the air and tilted slightly downwards so it's a sorta semi-boom situation. If you do use shotguns they are amazingly sensitive to noise miles away if it's line of sight with the mic..often a simple slight to the right or left can elminate the guy making a noise next door as long as the mic isn't pointed directly at the source with your interviewees in between.

Chris
Chris, You have the rode NTG2? And because you have it it must be better than the sony shotgun?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hey Tom

Nope I just used the standard Rode Videomic not the NTG2 ... it has a good output for run 'n gun ! Not sure about the cheaper Rode Go Mic though? I have never owned one, The Rode Videomic was definitely a lot better unit than the Sony shotguns that came with the EA-50 cameras from an output point of view.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #18
Inner Circle

The Sony shotguns that come with many Sony cams are crap, that is well known. The Videomics are amazing values and work well for me at weddings. I set up a cam in an area such as the lobby, etc., and the Rode produces fine results. I position people four to five feet away and the sound quality is very good.
Old February 25th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #19
Major Player

CHris, Jeff,

I did some research and I'm going for the audio-technica AT875R. It must be even or better then the rode NTG1/2 and even cheaper.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques