Toast - Media capacity issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 27th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Toast - Media capacity issues

Sorry for the cross post, but Im on this forum the most and i know it gets a lot more
traffic,and im at a loss on this one. We've been using Toast forever to burn our DVDs and Blurays. (We have the latest version)

We have burned several this wedding season with no problems, some .iso files upwards of 4.2gb ....we are well aware that even though DVDs have a 4.7gb capacity, it's really less than that...which is fine, and not the issue.

The issue is that suddenly out of no where, Toast is now underestimating the capacity of every type of media. It's saying available space on DVDs is only 3.14gb. It is underestimating all media types...CD, Bluray, all Dual Layers too...I can't remember the exact numbers for those, but the DVD I am certain of because that is what we were trying to burn.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a fix for it? Checked for updates and there are none, and as far as I know, we haven't done one recently. I did try deleting the preferences from our library and restarting, as that was suggested on another forum, but that didn't help. I have not tried re-installing the program yet, I guess that would be the next step but thought I would check if anyone here has experienced this.

Thanks!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Toast - Media capacity issues

It sounds almost as if there's a ghost file lurking somewhere that may have been intended for use in another project. I don't know how you'd check for that, however.

Problems like yours make me nuts. I hope you find the solution.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Trustee

Don't use Toast.

Use ImgBurn ... best program EVER. And it's free.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Major Player

We did find the problem...kind of...after much searching through forums and suggestions, we deleted something called the "P-List" ?? hidden preferences somewhere...and that did the trick. These types of things do drive me nuts too, just out of no where...my feeling is that something from another program, encore, compressor, whatever else we use hid something in that P-List folder somehow. Not exactly sure, but deleting it did the trick.

I'll look into ImgBurn...good to know. Thanks!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I had the opposite problem the other day where Encore produced a Blu-ray disk image that was just a tad too big for a disk & Toast not unreasonably refused to burn it.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques