What stabilizer do you use, or would like to be using. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 29th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: What stabilizer do you use, or would like to be using.

Hi Rob

I made mine using a monopod that actually did have 3 little feet but they were only good enough to leave the pod standing without a camera on it or maybe a bit of extra stability on the floor? I have since scrapped it and only use my big rig now..but it could be a useful addition!

Nigel is correct that the stedipod has a rotating grip that is roughly in the same place as a stedicam gimbal (bout 1/3rd up the shaft. You, of course only have directional control on one axis unlike a gimbal which has X, Y and Z movement.

For those interested here is a pretty comprehensive review

EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I got mine direct from Barber TVP BarberTVP.com: Makers of Multiple Emmy Award Winning Products for the Entertainment Industry
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #33
Major Player

I'm shocked by how many people rate this Stediepod or at least are interested.

They are incomparable surely?

Unless its the versatility that attracts you all?

I need the quality of my work to be better than that I'm afraid!

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #34
Major Player

Agreed. I've changed my mind about the Steddie. I watched the video linked to by Chris and the Glidecam looks far better to me. same in the clip you've linked to.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #35
Major Player

thanks for the info, I agree that the glidecam has the edge, but then it's a pain in the ass to balance and you cant use it as a monopod or a boom, but it's better than just hand-holding!

Last weekend i had four cameras running, the most awkward was the monopod, it wasn't bad but i can see how it might have been much improved!
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #36
Major Player

Last edited by Rob Cantwell; August 29th, 2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: double post
Rob Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #37
Major Player

I'm following Noa's lead and here is a selection of my stabilizer clips. This is shot on a Flycam Nano DSLR which cost me £120.

Its not bad at all, but no fine adjustment is a pain, and to many moving parts that could never lock down solid enough for my liking!

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #38
Inner Circle

I purely made mine for a set of tutorials I was making on video gear and never used it at a professional gig at all. Then again at that time I had my big Panasonics so an 8lb camera on a handheld monopod was a little tricky.

I know a vest and dual arm isn't practical indoors at receptions but I use my full rig at every wedding for the photoshoot video event with the bride and groom. Again it also depends on what cameras you have available! Even with a handheld Glidecam I would like to attempt a session with my Sony EA-50's (without doing 3 weeks of muscle building at the gym first) so on lighter cameras a small handheld rig would be a very useful addition.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #39
Major Player

Actually just made a real quick little comparison of stabilizers (including the new 3-axis defy g2) and posted it in the stabilizer section, but here you go.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty much a total novice with these tools and this video footage was single, first takes using them. I can land some good shots usually but I have to take a few takes.

Defy 3-Axis G2, Glidecam HD1000, Steadicam Flyer

The first clip is the flyer, the second is two takes of the G2, one holding the top middle grip only, and the other holding the outside bars. The third clip is the glidecam hd1000. The forth, 5th, 6h and so on clips are from earlier in the day with the Defy G2 at work.

My impressions:

Assuming you can get the Defy G2 working better/acceptably for yourself, here are some quick points about these tools.

Glidecam Hd1000 Pros
1. Quick Setup, Tear Down.
2. Super Cheap (400$?)
3. No Electronics
4. Works pretty darn good if you get practice with it
5. Arm fatigue. Though after all my use of it, I can hold it pretty much forever with a light GH2.

Flyer
1. Longest setup out of all three, requires some planning if you are trying to use at a live event.
2. Expensive - 4,000 or so by the time its all said and done.
3. Few Electronics (only used for monitoring) this thing is very rugged and well built, will last forever if taken care of.
4. Can produce stunningly smooth shots even when running, little fatique on arm thanks to vest, can hold static shots all day, can be inverted, low mode, etc.
5. Overall mass is larger so less effected by wind, easier to control (imo)

Defy G2
1. Pretty fast setup, once you learn how to use it, only took me about 5 minutes to get from box to going.
2. Expensive (2300)
3. Electronics - pretty much paying for technology here. The circuitry looks to be on the delicate side. This isn't something Id want to get rained on. Its not nearly as rugged as the other devices. Need to be delicate for sure.
4. Demo footage shows some pretty good shots but I was not able to replicate right out of the box.
5. Ease of use, you can literally just pick this thing up and go with it, zero practice.
6. Batteries to charge.

TLDR: The defy g2 isn't as "plug-in-and-amazing-footage-happens" as a lot of people believe, but I can see it having its place in the video market, though not as a total replacement for steadicams.
James Palanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Nice comparison! The defy g2 does seem to introduce vibration which is best visible when you where running with it at the end, it looks cool though being able to getting shots from eyelevel all the way till the ground in one move. I would prefer the cheap glidecam in run and gun situations, the defy looks quite fragile and maybe more suitable in controlled environments, not really at weddings. It did look when you made quicker turns that the defy didn't stay horizontal but swayed to the left or right, isn't the electonics supposed to keep the sled horizontal at all times?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #41
Major Player

Anyone know why I might have started getting vibrations in my shots on each footstep since upgrading to a 6D on my Flycam? Its perfectly balanced, never had this problem with the 550D. Really annoying me!
Old August 30th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #42
Major Player

One of these:

Photography and Cinema - Store Pistol Grip Camera Handle (1pc)

attached to one of these - with its built in stabilisation:

Panasonic X920 Full HD Camcorder - Black 3.5 inch LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

competes with a lot of what I'm seeing in the samples.

We may be missing a simple and obvious answer :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Yeah right... :) Do you really think you can get similar shots like I posted with my blackbird with just a handle attached to a handicam? My cx730 works wonders when it comes to image stabilisation but I can't get anywhere near the shots I do with my steadicam. Unless you are able to show it I can only assume you are joking :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #44
Trustee

Steadipod shoddy pod I say... Seen loads of crap recent footage on vimeo with the steadipod, absolutly garbage and in the wrongs hands even worse....
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Well what can I say? Almost all stabilizer equipment in the wrong hands will produce poor footage. Some are easier to use than others. Some are fast and easy to set up some require a lot more practice to master.

The above footage with the Steddiepod looks like the operator had the balance wrong or was inexperienced in using the device.

As with all stabilizers setting the balance is critical, after that its all about practice. So I will have to disagree with you Steve on this one.

I think the Steddiepod is a great device: quick to deploy, multi use, easy to handle, not to expensive, and robust enough to take a knock.

All in all a great tool to help tell the wedding day story.
Matt Brady is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques