Anyone using 3axis brushless gimbal rigs for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using 3axis brushless gimbal rigs for weddings?

I know the Movi etc are probably toe expensive for our market but I see quite a few cheaper competitors about.

The CAME 7000 is less that $1000

Anyone use one or tempted?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Anyone using 3axis brushless gimbal rigs for weddings?

I have seen some wedding videographers pulling some impressive controlled moves with it but I do have to say it looks too bulky to drag along, great if you have are a 2 or 3 man team but when you shoot solo it looks to cumbersome to use. You also need to place it aside safely which is not always easy in a venue and it looks like it can be easily damaged if someone would trip over it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Major Player

They look great! I would love to have one for weddings. They are somewhat bulky, but they shots you can get with them definitely reflect high end work.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Major Player

They also seem less tricky to setup. You say bulky - but whilst being wide, its actually shorter that a regular stabilizer, and I'm always accidentally bumping the bottom of my Laing P04 off things. I image it would be a lot better ergonomically with two hands either side.
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I would like to try one at a wedding, that's for sure. With bulky I mean that my blackbird I can attach to my backpack if needed but I don't see that happening with such a 3 axis stabiliser.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Can you actually see what you are filming? I guess a cam like the GH4 that has a swivel LCD would allow you to get an image of what the camera sees but it will still be pretty tiny?

I have a 7" LCD on my stedicam with a sunshield on it too and without that I would have no idea whether I'm framing correctly or not.

One assumes that a wide lens is used with just zone focus and you cannot move and play with focussing at the same time??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #7
Major Player

You can attach a monitor (and sunshield) to a gimbal, so it could be a similar setup as your steadicam. You would have to get a remote focus (and possibly a focus puller) to be able to focus during the shot, so pretty unlikely at a wedding. Are you able to change focus while you're flying your steadicam alone?
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #8
Major Player

Daniel, your comments about the focus also applies to regular steadicam type stabilizers and loads of us on here use them at weddings. You just keep a fixed distance from the subject.
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Major Player

Clive, I agree and do that with a blackbird stabilizer now. I was responding to Chris's question about focusing. I would love to have a gimbal. The dji ronin looks fantastic since the dropped the price.
Old September 30th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #10
Major Player

Just reviving this thread since it's taken my interest again.

CAME have now released the 7500 which is basically just the 7000 except pre-assembled rather than what was basically a DIY kit.

Its considerably cheaper (half the price of a Ronin) - but it seems theres a reason. Youtube is full of videos of customers having difficulties with it. Put me right off.

There doesn't seem to be much in between these price ranges.

Have to say I'm quite keen now on the Varavon Birdycam 2.

Here are prices of the main ones:

Freefly Movi M5 $3995
Letus Helix $3975
DJI Ronin $2999
The Ghost V2 $2995
Defy G2 $2600
Besteady One $2779
Brirdycam $2375
CAME 7500 $1200
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I think you get what you pay for with these kind of devices, what I also would consider is warranty if something would malfunction, there is quite some electronics involved and at such a price I would expect good customerservice if the thing would stop working.
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Right on Noa

For weddings you certainly don't want to have something go crazy with the electronics at a on off event like a wedding. Also is $4000 a justifiable price to pay for a unit that just gives footage that rather impresses you instead of the bride. It will need a little bit of room in a crowded wedding reception much the same as a stedicam so honestly how much footage will you use it for at a wedding to make it pay for itself and will the bride really and truly notice your fancy footage ...whether you get the first dance on one of these rigs or just handheld I doubt whether a bride would care.

We tend to go over the top on the technical side at weddings with 6 cameras, 4 shooters, sliders, stedicams and now a gimbal rig or two at a huge capital investment and more than likely the only people all the gear will really impress are members of DVInfo and your mates ...yet the bride is paying you for her wedding which you could have done to her delight on a two camera shoot and a LOT less money out of your pocket!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #13
Trustee

Chris you said mouthful there - just who are we trying to impress?

having said that I'd still like one - I was going to grab the came 7500 and take the risk but I haven't decided yet
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #14
Major Player

For me, its a case of, once you have one of these setup, then thats it.

The motors mean it isn't so temperamental in terms of going off balance.

My steadicam, no matter how tight all the knobs are can still be moved by the slightest knock. Theres about 5 different parts that can be moved, throwing balance completely off.

These things do all the work for you.

The follow feature is also nice - the camera will tilt up if you turn the frame that way, and same on the pan.

No more gently coaxing your steadicam with delicate fingertips.

I consider myself an experienced steadicam operator, but even I have messed up shots since my fingertip coaxing wasn't as gentle or accurate as intended leading to abrupt movements etc...!

I'm also tempted by the CAME 7500...
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I have read somewhere that you have to rebalance that Came quite often when used throughout the day, not sure where I picked that up. Some things to consider when using that thing; my blackbird for instance I can place wherever I want with the included kickstand, the came looks like something you don't want to be leaving behind on the floor so it has to be placed back on a stand which is on a fixed position which would make it a bit impractical to use, especially if you shoot solo. It would be a great to use outdoor during the photoshoot though, no more worrying about too much wind.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques