What stabilizer do you use, or would like to be using. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 28th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: What stabilizer do you use, or would like to be using.

Chris, you are right about the Steadicam Curve for the GOPro being interesting. If, like you say, its for outdoor, it would be as good as anything in terms of quality and nicely wide. It also has no variables or moving parts so needs no adjustment and will always be balanced.

I just don't think something so lightweight would be very good and probably very prone to wind.

It sounds to me that if I were to upgrade, Glidecam is the way to go.

Any chance of anyone showing me Glidecam footage that compares with Noa's Blackbird footage?

Noa, why don'y you repost yours for others to drool over!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #17
Major Player

@ Nigel: are those SteddiePod systems available in the UK? Seems like a good combo system.

I was using an ordinary monopod over the weekend and wished that i could set it down at times to check other items during the day.
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

Be aware that it has no gimbal so it's really just a monopod with weighted feet. I made one a few years back using a standard monopod and then fixed the base of a mic stand to the bottom with big washers as weights.

It does help BUT it's not a stedicam by a long shot! We also talked about it in this thread and I posted a pic

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...steadicam.html

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I use the Steddiepod, you have to purchase it direct from the USA if your trying to get hold of one in the UK.

Its a great device, stable enough for use on weddings. It deploys real fast and has more than one use, ideal on weddings when you want to carry less kit.

I used to use a Pilot, but found the vest and balance set up to cumbersome for fast deployment on a wedding shoot.

Its Steddiepod all the way for me. Fast deployment, easy operating learning curve, cheap, multi use...... ideal wedding kit.

Last edited by Matt Brady; August 28th, 2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Any chance of anyone showing me Glidecam footage that compares with Noa's Blackbird footage?
Noa, why don'y you repost yours for others to drool over!
Each time I use a steadicam I suck a little less, that's an expression I read in one of the posts on this forum and I think it much applies to what I do, not only with my blackbird steadicam but with video in general :) A steadicam is a tool that needs time, lots of time to master and I feel I"m not even halfway there but like many others here, no matter what brand steadicam you have, I am sure that any higher end steadicam can give you great results if you got the skill and experience to fly the thing.

Below a collection of some steadicam moves over the past 2 years I did with my blackbird, I randomly took some shots from several wedding trailers I have on my pc. It would be great if other users could post some footage from their steadicam moves as well, I rather see it being used then being told that it works fine, especially since I noticed that some people have a different idea about fluid movement compared to what I would associate with a steadicam. If you plan to buy a steadicam, no matter what brand, I"d only do that based on live action footage.

If I could buy a small steadicam, half the size of my blackbird, which would fit in a backpack and which has the same build and operation quality as my blackbird and which is fast to set up or break down, I would get it immediately as a second travel steadicam, that's why the xcam mini steadicam looked interesting, but I"m not so convinced about the quality of the gimbal and other parts in general if you use it for a longer period. those have to be of high quality and precision engineered and not like has been suggested in a other thread that home depot material would suffice as well.

Maybe if Mr Greb from CMR reads this he could develop one? :) Also, the music in this video is horrible but it's license free :D, better turn it off just to see the movement.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #21
Major Player

That's very nice stuff, Noa. SInce there doesn't seem to be any DOF issues in the footage, I assume you're using a camcorder and not a DSLR. What I'm really curious about is if you're using a vest/arm, or just the Blackbird. I can't seem to get as good with mine as you are with yours.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Just the blackbird stabiliser, no vest or arm and it was a dslr, a Canon 550d with a 14mm f2.8 lens :)
Old August 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Just the blackbird stabiliser, no vest or arm and it was a dslr, a Canon 550d with a 14mm f2.8 lens :)
Awesome. Thanks.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Noa, that is nice stuff! Impressive. I would hire you based off that one collect of clips.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Lovely shots Noa. I know that the skill of the operator is important too but the Blackbird looks like a great stabiliser. My suspicion is that the extra mass & the antlers aid the stability.

A 14mm lens on an APS-C camera (21mm FF equivalent) is a good focal length for the 'amateur' operator as it's wide enough that any unwanted movement is not too evident plus the DoF ensures that everything is in focus but it's not so wide that objects near to the camera (especially people) don't get distorted.

The Xcam Mini looks ingenious but my worry would be that it's simply too small & light. I have flown a variety of Steadicams and the heavier the rig the more stable & smoother it is which is really just a simple matter of physics.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Rob

Be aware that it has no gimbal so it's really just a monopod with weighted feet. I made one a few years back using a standard monopod and then fixed the base of a mic stand to the bottom with big washers as weights.

It does help BUT it's not a stedicam by a long shot! We also talked about it in this thread and I posted a pic

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...steadicam.html

Chris
The Steddiepod doesn't have a gimbal but the hand grip runs on ball bearings so can spin freely in the horizontal plane.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Jones View Post
I would hire you based off that one collect of clips.
I"m available for pre-order :) The only thing a blackbird can't do is fly upside down like you can do with steadicam pilot, so flying shots just above floor level are not possible, not that I miss this but could look great in certain situations.
Old August 29th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #28
Major Player

Cheers Noa,
You do a great job selling the Blackbird with that sample!

I'll try and throw together some of my Flycam Nano DSLR clips in the next day or so.

Do you find it to me bulky? I know for me, no matter how hard I try I can't fully eliminate the chances of something touching my Flycam, or somebody walking into me on the dancefloor. I imagine the chances of this would be increased with the Blackbird which is significantly better.

I also have been working on 50mm on flycam to date, but have just ordered a cheap 19-35mm just for the wide ability whilst flying. It really does massively improve the look and feel.

I'd love to see sample footage of the Xcam in action from someone trustworthy. Like I've said before, you just don't know when you are looking at a bad product, or bad operation of the product.

This is the most decent review I've seen, and even still, Its not quite stable enough for my standards.

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #29
Major Player

hi Chris, thanks for that, I wouldn't be great at fabricating something like that, but i can see the benefit of having a monopod that can be left down and flown too.

I really like the design of the Steddiepod, are there any other manufacturers producing anything similar, I know Manfrotto produce one with very small feet but i dont think you could leave it unattended.
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Nigel, the Solo should be around $799 last I read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
@ Nigel: are those SteddiePod systems available in the UK? Seems like a good combo system.
AFAIK there is no UK distributor. They can be found on eBay. I'll ask my pal where he bought his.

Matt, where did you buy your Steddiepod?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques