Longer Focal Length Recommendations for Ceremonies? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Longer Focal Length Recommendations for Ceremonies?

We're currently using a 2 camera setup with 2 5d Mark 3s. My partner uses a Canon 85mm and I use a 70-200 near the altar. Does anyone have any recommendations for focal lengths to use during the ceremony? I don't really like the look of the Canon 70-200 ii 2.8 and would prefer to replace it with one or two Zeiss primes.

My current kit consists of:
35 Rokinon
50 f2 Zeiss Makro
Canon 70-200 ii L Lens

I've been looking at the Zeiss 135mm or possibly the Canon 135mm but would they be usable at all without a tripod?

Thanks!
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Longer Focal Length Recommendations for Ceremonies?

Surely the 'best' focal length will depend on your position, which could change from ceremony to ceremony?

I love the Canon 135 f2, but found it to be too long in most cases at the front and too short for the back. Of course, we're i different countries with different church/ceremony layouts so YMMV.

However, I would have thought you could answer your own question by simply noting what focal lengths you are using the most on the 70-200 (if it's within that range).
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Trustee

You'd have to be pretty good with a stabilizer to not need a tripod for a 135mm shot.

We use 135mm (zoom) on a crop factor (216mm equivalent) for tight shots of B&G during vows. When we can, we shoot from the sides to get a straight shot at each face for when they face each other, with a camera in the rear doing the medium or wide shot.

When it's not the vows, we like the zoom to be able to pull back to 50 or 85mm equivalent for wider shots or faces of guests.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just out of curiosity, what did you not like about the 70-200? I just rented it to try it out at a wedding last weekend and was pretty impressed.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I am amazed that you don't like the 70-200mm F/2.8L USM IS II. It's the best lens I own & I would use it all the time if I could stand back far enough. The downside is it weighs a ton. I have just done a temporary swap with a colleague & used his F/4 version for a couple of weddings but it's just not the same. The sharpness contrast colour & just overall look of anything shot with this lens is just outstanding.

I occasionally use a 2X teleconverter with the 70-200mm if I have to stand too far away from the action.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Count me shocked as well that you don't like the look of the 70-200. I just rented it for two weddings last weekend for the first time and now I don't think I can ever shoot a wedding without it. The footage is just stunning.
Noah Ruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Trustee

Tried all primes 135 and 100mm and 85mm to know avail, no stabilizer and to much shake... The 70-200 with is should be great like others have said. On a crop I went with the 50-150 sigma 2.8 os and its amazing...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Major Player

Another lover of the 70-200 f2.8 IS here :- ) Even at 200mm sometimes its not long enough though. If you add the 1.4x converter you loose 1 stop whereas the 2x converter loses you two stops, taking it up to f5.6. The 1.4 gives slightly better performance but you'd have to really peep to notice.

I'm wondering if the OP has a faulty copy or can he be more specific?

They must live on a tripod except for clips of a few seconds.

I wouldn't bother with the version II if you can pick up the version I. Too expensive. I bought my version I for £1480 in May 2003, its now £1908 (at WEX UK). My 24mm tilt & shift was £769, now £1709. My 15mm f2.8 fisheye was £406, now £1119. Only my 50mm f1.2 hasn't changed much, I paid £1025 in December 2006, now £1169. Shocking overall though.

BTW the Thinktank Skin 75 Popdown is great for carrying lenses like the 70-200 on your belt, even a plain trouser belt. Its not bulky and can extend so that the lens hood can remain in place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or just put a couple of Op-Tech loop s on it and use it with a strap or attached to your bag.

OP/TECH Pro Loop System Connectors: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ok thanks. Yeah I'll try out another copy of the 70-200mm ii as I just rented it to test it out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques