Benefits of membership? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 13th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Benefits of membership?

Was just curious who on here are paid up members of any video organizations?

I know there are a few organisations in the US, and one or two here in the UK.

If your a member, what organisations are you with?

What business benefits if any are there being a member?

Is there a down side to being a member? Am I missing out not signing up?

Thanks
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Benefits of membership?

I am a member of the Institute of Videography. I get benefit out of networking both on the private forum & in person with the area meetings held every month or so. There is also a good magazine. There were internal political wrangles last year with the old regime & money problems caused by outsourcing the administration but there is a new executive who are doing the right things. Hopefully they will revive the annual convention & trade show that members enjoyed so much. There is a system of qualifications by presenting your work although frankly this is more for your own satisfaction as they mean zilch to potential clients.

The IoV has its pros & cons but frankly there is no other organisation for small time videographers so unlike photographers who can pick & choose from about ten different bodies it's either the IoV or nothing.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Benefits of membership?

Nigel, I was a qualified member of IOV up to two years ago. Really, has anything changed since then? The magazine was getting thinner with old news I'd already read on the web (as is the case with all magazines now). The forums seemed fairly quiet and I was paying the subs for what? Hmmm....

Oh, and BTW - if you happen to take credit cards and used the IOV 'discount' with your card provider you are probably being screwed. When I went to cancel our agreement they asked if I was still with the IOV. I was reluctant to say no, thinking they would want some extra money for past months, but they said, oh if you're not with the IOV then we can give you CHEAPER rates.

Apparently, if you're with an organisation that has agreements with CC companies for discounts from their headline rates then that is the lowest they are ever going to give you, but by 'not' being a member you can get even cheaper!

I found the same with insurance too.

As you said, the customers don't care. The meetings near me were pretty boring and a long drive too. So, remind me, why would I want to be a member? I don't mean that sarcastically. I'd like to be a member if there were actually some tangible benefits, but I'm struggling to remember any.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques