So what do you drink... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 28th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Inner Circle

So what do you drink...

On a lighter subject. During wedding days, I drink water before, coke/pepsi during the reception and pump milk and orange juice when I get home.
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: So what do you drink...

Green tea in the morning and a high protein breakfast.

Any meal served on the day of the wedding is a bonus and I usually eat light so I can move around without feeling bloated etc.

Once I get home I usually order a take away as a sort of 'celebration' job well done for myself !
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I am always sure to take along plenty of bottled water. At least 6-8 500ml bottles. It's amazing how much fluid you can lose especially running around on a hot day.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Trustee

I always drink water now, no coke, pepsi, juice, or anything that has sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it. Snacks are high protein bars and complex carbohydrates.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Trustee

Sparkling Water. Done.
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Trustee

water, maybe milk once. If the day is very long, I may do a coffee around 4pm for the caffeine, and last night I broke and had coke around 9pm since we went until midnight. I really needed the sugar.

I will often have some chocolate on hand, in case my mood is bad - like, say, yesterday, when the photographers were pretty awful to us. The third time it happened, and taking a deep breath wasn't cutting it, we had the chocolate.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
water, maybe milk once. If the day is very long, I may do a coffee around 4pm for the caffeine, and last night I broke and had coke around 9pm since we went until midnight. I really needed the sugar.

I will often have some chocolate on hand, in case my mood is bad - like, say, yesterday, when the photographers were pretty awful to us. The third time it happened, and taking a deep breath wasn't cutting it, we had the chocolate.
I understand. I had a photographer yesterday that bounced back and forth in front of the B&G like a pendulum. I felt I needed something pretty strong to drink at that point.
Old September 29th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Major Player

I bottle my own water. I have a well that produces pure, Rocky Mountain spring water from 185' below my property, which is at 8,000' elevation. It is nicely chilled right from the ground and I don't treat it with any filters or chemicals. I have yet to taste a bottled water that comes close to the quality of my well water. I'm a lucky dude and I know it.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes a good breakfast is important to keep you going throughout the day! I'd also have a few bottles of water.
I have in my contract that the if the shooting is over five hours the client will provide a meal for us, usually we would get a meal voucher but sometimes we've been put at a table with the guests, not the best thing though! On Friday last, they insisted that we join them!
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

Being with the guests is a real pain for me too but it rarely happens. Venues here normally supply a special table away from the guests for the photog/dj/video and that works great as there is space for our gear plus it allows you an overview of the whole wedding in case something starts to happen so you can jump up and spring into action.

Here the normal for meals is mains only plus soft drinks but some venues do give us the whole shooting match as well. I did an Italian wedding where we sat at our table at 7pm and the food just kept coming and coming and it was only after 10pm when the events restarted.

Yep, a decent breakfast (usually late anyway on a Saturday!) and then lots of water during the hard work period combined with some snack bars usually keeps me going. I do interviews during pre-dinner drinks so I also get soft drinks during that period plus a few canapés!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #11
Major Player

Why is everyone on here so health conscious? I now feel guilty for going through 3-4 energy drinks on a standard wedding!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #12
Trustee

Clive, for me it's simply about the caffeine. It only takes two weeks for your body to adapt to a new level of caffeine, so if you usually drink two cups of coffee, or two Monster energy drinks, then after 14 days, it no longer provides a benefit.

Once I found that out, I cut my caffeine a lot precisely so that IF I need a boost, I can have a cup of coffee or an energy drink and actually get a benefit from the caffeine.

Throw in the fact that most energy drinks are just soda with guarine, but cost three times as much, and I had no reason to pick up that habit. I get a better boost from chocolate milk, with vitamins and minerals (including B12), sugar for quick energy, protein for helping keep blood sugar level, and chocolate as a mood booster.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Major Player

Just coffee...and my Marlboro's :) 95% of the time i don't eat until the dinner reception.
Not really a breakfast guy so in the rare times that there is a bit of a lull after the ceremony, i just grab a beef jerky, banana and Coke. If there is a Starbucks nearby, a peppermint mocha latte for sure.
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Sparkling Water. Done.
Agreed. If I am going to pay for water then at least I want it with bubbles.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Why is everyone on here so health conscious? I now feel guilty for going through 3-4 energy drinks on a standard wedding!
Health conscious when i'm working ... eating like a pig when i'm not.

Don't worry!
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques