dvd cover paper at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 16th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

dvd cover paper

Hi,

I usually print on to a4 paper and have to use a guillotine to chop the edges off so it fits into the dvd case.
This takes some time when I have to print 50 copies etc.
Is there a better way to do this?
Like is there a size of paper that is dvd cover size and tehn I could print the cover with no margins or somethiong?

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: dvd cover paper

Hi Brian

I use A4 paper too ..Normally Epson High Quality Inkjet paper.

What I did originally was draw a template around 900 pixels by 600 pixels in a square and then put a "spine" down the middle so I had a box with a skinny box in the centre. I then printed onto normal plain paper in draft mode and then cut it out and tested for a "fit" Once I had the dimensions right, I saved the template and now all I need to do is drop in the two images and text and print it and cutting with a rotary trimmer around the lines is fast and simple!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I just buy from Glossy DVD case inserts for inkjet or lasers . Just pull off from the perforations. There are several sources in NA.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Major Player

i make my own, but then i'd be only doing two or so, this was talked about last year see;

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...eve-paper.html

Brian, maybe something like this might suit?

Avery J8437-25 DVD Case Inserts Inkjet Card 273x183mm Pack 25 - Huntoffice.ie
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a template permanently set up into which I drop pics like Chris does. I have cutting marks on the template and just line them up to quickly cut them in the guillotine. I use 120gsm paper for volume runs like school performances and just cut 5 or 6 at a time to speed things up. 50 would only take a few minutes while I'm printing the dvds.

I also have a permanent template for on body dvd printing, which just needs the text and picture changing each time. It takes about 5 minutes to lay out new dvd face artwork and about the same for the sleeve.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm in the US so using Letter size photo paper. What I did is to move the design to the top left of the edge. Then using the Epson printer borderless printing feature, I only need to trim the bottom and right of the page. Works well.

Take a look here and you can download my DVD and BluRay Template too.

DVD and BluRay Design Template | L.A. Color Pros Blog
Attached Thumbnails
dvd cover paper-ee-dvdset.jpg  
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Just a little point here for those who don't want to have to trim the paper at all. Surely if you bought 100 or 200 sheet pack of your favourite paper and took it down to your local print shop they would have a fancy machine that can slice thru 100 or 200 sheets is one cut?

That way you have perfectly sized DVD inserts professionally cut! However Taky's idea is also good and saves you two cuts..I must try that ..At the moment my paper comes out with a white border all the way around so I need to cut all 4 edges ...offsetting the template means on two cuts...very clever!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I also stacked the photopaper and trim them with xacto knife on cutting matt. Cut 10 to 20 sheets at a time. save a lot of effort too :)

These are the three items needed

Staedtler Cutting Mat Clear by Office Depot

Stanley Snap Off Knife 9mm by Office Depot

Also a metal ruler with bevel edge to save you from cutting yourself :) Coudln't find a link now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques