School Plays - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 24th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: School Plays

Dave - you are indeed fortunate if you have space between the audience and the stage and might be a good place for the Zooms if it is a 'safe' area. Boundary layer mics can give a better overall sound when reflective waves are a problem

The are several makers of boundary layer/pressure zone mics, with the most popular probably being Audio Technica or the more expensive Crown models. I think Maplin usually carry a couple of budget ones aswell. They work on the loose principle of the sound waves stimulating a electrostatically charged area or boundary layer around the pickup head. This cuts out much of the direct sound, reflecting the nearer source onto the pressure zone, reducing the delay that occurs on a conventional mic between the much earlier direct and later reflected waves. Edited to add that they need to be mounted on a flat surface to work at their best.

I think that is about right, but Paul can probably give you a better explanation.

Roger

Last edited by Roger Gunkel; November 24th, 2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Additional information
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Major Player

Fascinating discussion, valuable for those of us who really ought to know more about boundary mics.

I found this article useful on the B&H site:

Exploring the Boundaries – A Close Look at an Invisible Microphone | B&H Photo Video Audio

Looks like a couple of boundary mics plugged into the sennheiser radio transmitters and positioned at the front of the stage would be a good route to go for many shoots of the size of school plays. You could use heavy duty blutak to keep the senns upright for best reception and in place without presenting a health and safety hazzard as they would be able to move if tripped on. I think I'd be far more comfortable being able to monitor the audio rather than relying on simple standalone H1's in the school play scenario. Perhaps also one standalone recorder hidden away for use only in dire emergencies :- ) I wonder how many parents would actually comply with a request to switch their phones off rather than just put them on silent - increasing the risk of interference.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
I think I'd be far more comfortable being able to monitor the audio rather than relying on simple standalone H1's in the school play scenario.
Yeah, me too. Still thinking about this one, and still trying to figure out if there's actually anywhere suitable to position the boundary mics, assuming I splash the cash and buy one to test. Looks like they're a couple of hundred quid.
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Trustee

I'm shooting 2 plays this season using the Bartlett microphones. I've used them for theater recording in the past and have been very happy with the results. There is a dealer in the UK too!
Floor Mics Solve Challenge Facing School Music Director - Bartlett Audio
FAQ - Bartlett stage floor mics - Bartlett Audio

Here are samples of recordings
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/024...mples.mp3?1503
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Warren, they were great links. I will be looking at these mics for my kit. I just shot an ordination service with only a shotgun at the side of the stage due to incompatibility with the sound desk at the venue. The results were quite acceptable, but I think these mics would have been better.

I was actually very surprised how well my Rode Videomic did. The sound was clear and very usable, but I may have been saved by the small size of the venue. The sound desk was an antique from the mid 70's and only had RCA outputs, the only cable I seemed not to bring!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques