Final Wedding Disc Packaging - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 7th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Final Wedding Disc Packaging

The client really watch so low quality ?

DVDs are 4:3 and they look so bad, when you try to show a 16:9 1080p video on a DVD, which downgrades it to almost 360p or 480p at 4:3 :(
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:32 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumendra Jena View Post
The client really watch so low quality ?

DVDs are 4:3 and they look so bad, when you try to show a 16:9 1080p video on a DVD, which downgrades it to almost 360p or 480p at 4:3 :(
We only ever ship 16:9 DVDs and they are full screen, not downgraded. You need to be exporting 16:9 DVDs with the correct pixel aspect ratio, otherwise yes, they will be letter boxed (bad idea).

If all your DVDs are playing in 4:3 (including hollywood DVDs) then you have your player/TV set incorrectly.

Does the content of your films trump the resolution or is the resolution what makes them watch? How soon will you move to 4K and leave all those old Blu-ray players behind?

While most people who are used to Blu-ray on huge TVs will cringe at a DVD for the first minute or two, if your content is engaging enough then the quality aspect soon disappears and they are watching the film not the pixels.

Would we all prefer to ship Blu-ray? Absolutely! But in the end, you have to sell what the customer wants to buy. You can only educate so far, but if Granny doesn't want a Blu-ray player and she's quite happy with DVD then who are we to argue?
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Like David, 100% of my customers request DVD, with the occasional additional bluray or usb. I edit in Magix Movie Edit Pro 6 in HD, then output the dvd directly from the timeline. The same edit and timeline is used for bluray and mp4 on usb.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
We only ever ship 16:9 DVDs and they are full screen, not downgraded. You need to be exporting 16:9 DVDs with the correct pixel aspect ratio, otherwise yes, they will be letter boxed (bad idea).

If all your DVDs are playing in 4:3 (including hollywood DVDs) then you have your player/TV set incorrectly.

Does the content of your films trump the resolution or is the resolution what makes them watch? How soon will you move to 4K and leave all those old Blu-ray players behind?

While most people who are used to Blu-ray on huge TVs will cringe at a DVD for the first minute or two, if your content is engaging enough then the quality aspect soon disappears and they are watching the film not the pixels.

Would we all prefer to ship Blu-ray? Absolutely! But in the end, you have to sell what the customer wants to buy. You can only educate so far, but if Granny doesn't want a Blu-ray player and she's quite happy with DVD then who are we to argue?

Whats your workflow ?
Lets say, I finish my project on Premiere Pro, then whats next ?
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
How do you manage to write the DVD while your footages are widescreen 1080p ?

What I do is,
Finish my premiere pro editing, export as h264 YouTube FullHD 1080p or else Custom 1080p.

Then I get the mp4 file.

I take it to encore and burn the DVD.

But the video looks horrible on the DVD. Totally distorted.

While the same on Blu-Ray looks stunning.
No wonder your DVDs look like crap. h264 YouTube FullHD 1080p is only about 5-7Mbps if you are then converting to DVD it will be awful.

My workflow is to export from Premiere Pro at the proper Blu-ray bit rate of 25-30Mbps H.264 then import into Encore to author the Blu-ray & then switch the project to DVD & let Encore convert to DVD 7-8Mbps MPEG2. Encore does a decent enough job of downscaling to DVD.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Whats your workflow ?
Lets say, I finish my project on Premiere Pro, then whats next ?
Export to a proper DVD MPEG2 setting at (say) 7-8mbit - wide screen setting. Also, don't forget to add a crop (in media encoder) top and bottom equalling 26 pixels total (12 top 14 bottom etc) to correct for the marginal difference in aspect ratio between HD and DVD.

Once you have your TWO files (one is video the other is audio) then import these to Encore as an asset and go from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Final Wedding Disc Packaging-screen-shot-2014-04-07-12.34.54.png  
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #37
Major Player

Sorry to be a pain guys, but this is slightly off topic

... and my lovely pictures are now in the distant past of page 2!

Such is life on internet forums!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #38
Trustee

Sorry Clive.... it's easy to get off topic when someone asks a question. Almost all forums need a 'fork to new subject' button.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #39
Major Player

I previously posted a 3d render of our boxes and now they are here. And they are glorious.

And before anyone asks, I will not tell you where we got them made. We give away a lot already and some things we just need to keep back ;)
Attached Thumbnails
Final Wedding Disc Packaging-image.jpg  
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #40
Major Player

Show off! ha, na they look brilliant Danny!

Feel though that you probably charge more than me (although I'm getting more pricey these days).

I have bookings this year who booked at a time when my price was £550 - and some who booked last minute when my prices were up to £1000. It doesn't feel right giving them all the same standard of product.

I work on all the edits the same regardless of the agreed price, but I feel my physical product may not be up to the mark for my clients who agreed on my current price of £1000.
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
... current price of £1000.
A bit off topic again :) I wish I could charge Clive!
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #42
Major Player

Hi Anthony! Nice to see a fellow countryman on here! Where are you based?

With regards to prices, since I started three years ago, fellow videographers and photographers kept telling me to put my prices up. Reluctantly I kept raising my prices, and there was no reduction in enquiries. I guess that's the test.

Luckily I still work another job (which I recently reduced to a four day week). This kinda gave me a safety net to test the waters with higher prices.

Thing is, you don't really decide your own price, the client does. The client currently seems happy enough that I'm a £1000 kind of videographer! lol
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Hi Anthony! Nice to see a fellow countryman on here! Where are you based?
Hello Clive, Magherafelt direction, other end of the M2. I don't have a second job, so I kina need what I can get.
£1000 is what we need but getting it is a different story, as you say.
£660ish is the most I can get in these parts but that dosen't stop the tog from charging!
He can nearly charge what ever he wants :)

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; April 12th, 2014 at 05:04 AM.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques