Finding wedding filming boring? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 6th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Finding wedding filming boring?

Very well said Roger! I've been reading this whole thread and just not relating to the downbeat tone from some at all. I love weddings - I love people watching, I love filming, I love technology, I love going to places new, I love that I occasionally get to go abroad to film a wedding (it's like a paid holiday doing what I love). I love all the pre-planning (like a military operation sometimes) and seeing how my plans work out. I love pushing myself with every wedding to make my work better and learning on every occasion. I also love how much it means to the couple when they see the film I've produced for them - all of it down to me! I could go on and on but I think you get the picture! I work as a cameraman on commercials, drama, corporates, concerts... but I genuinely get the most enjoyment from filming weddings - it's real, and I thrive off it!

I was trying to put it into words, and I think you summed it up very well Roger :)

Matt
Mathew Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #47
Trustee

What's there not to like ...

Yes it may not feel like a 9-5 job where you'll be going to a familiar place that you're used to. But surely that's the excitement of weddings/events ?

From personal experience i'm always a bit nervous when going to a place that i've never filmed before, but thanks to Google maps life has become easier. I do some background research prior to arriving at these places, see what it looks like via Streetview. And once i'm there and the camera is switched on. Bye bye nerves.

Can't ever go back to a 9-5 now that i'm used to filming events.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #48
Trustee

Very good topic, with good points! i started it so i will finish it.
I probably had a bad day like some of us do occasionally starting the topic BUT I think i need to train everyone on the wedding day not to do it like this?
Last two weeks i did three weddings, all the same internet speeches, all the same decor, roughly the same dresses, the same bad music from DGs that do not give a monkeys and who constantly ruin my glide-cam shots by insisting on the smallest circle around the first dance after prepping him, the same drunken idiots, the same chocolate fountain and warm champagne fountain that breaks down, the same people in the isle shot with their phones blocking everything in site, the same christian clergy who insist on disrupting everything you try to do, the same photographer who needs to retire.
The same kid who tried to knock my expensive camera over in church and during speeches, the same drunken girl who fell into my assistant ruining a speech second angle shot.
I can carry on but yes i get on with it because i love weddings......
Its not that its boring i will rephrase it to same old same old same old, so this week i am going into action, i am going to re-educate all my brides for next year. Yeeee....
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques