advantages of cropping 4K - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 20th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: advantages of cropping 4K

and finally for those that want to play with a 4K framegrab in a 1080p project: here is a 4K frame exported from the ax100
Attached Thumbnails
advantages of cropping 4K-4k.jpg  
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Very interesting Noa and very welcome Jpegs. Claire, my wife has driven into the nearest big town today to see if she can locate a Lumix FZ1000 with a view to taking some footage on an sd card and trying things like smooth zoom, zoom speed etc. If she finds one and we get the results we want, then we won't be far off buying.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #18
Major Player

Noa, do you have any issues with multicam editing on your system. Assuming you have one 4k and 3x1080 streams.

For stage productions with variable lighting, how active are you in exposure adjustment?
Does the AX100 have a spotlight mode with manual exposure shift?
Old November 27th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #19
Trustee

Hi Noa,

Which camera model is this?

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
Noa, do you have any issues with multicam editing on your system. Assuming you have one 4k and 3x1080 streams.

For stage productions with variable lighting, how active are you in exposure adjustment?
Does the AX100 have a spotlight mode with manual exposure shift?
The camera has ae shift but I couldn't find spotlight mode back in the camera menu, I only shoot a few of these stageperformances every year and some others are dance performances with changing light colours and intensity, for those I have always used my sony cx730's and then set one camera wide as safety, lock focus but let the camera handle the exposure as I can't handle 2 camera's simultaneously, I do set the ae-shift to -1.
The second camera I use to follow the action more closer and there I manually adjust the exposure with the small wheel.

I have a i7 3770 processor with 8gb of memory, a quadro k420 card for 2 pc screens and a spark card for a direct feed towards a tv from what's on the timeline and edit from a single 2tb wd black disc to give you an idea of my system setup. I can edit 1 stream of XAVC S 4K 25p and 2 streams of 1080p avchd 50p in real time though I do get a occasional stutter while Edius is building a buffer. If I add a 3rd 1080p stream it starts to stutter more but I could still do a edit if I wanted.

Currently I"m editing a wedding where I have one 50mbs 4K file from the ax100, one 100mbs 4K file from a gh4, two 28mbs 1080p files from 2 cx730'x and one 50mbs 1080p file from a rx10 all in a multicam edit (it is a ceremony where I used 5 camera's)
I"m maybe getting a bit over half realtime playback speed and it stutters constantly but I"m halfway through that part to edit so it can be done, but it's no fun. Only when the edit is done edus allows to compress the entire multicam edit to one track so it's back to realtime performance after that.

Quote:
Which camera model is this?
The sony ax100

Last edited by Noa Put; November 28th, 2014 at 02:37 AM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #21
Trustee

AH, thanks Noa
Images look great from that camera.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Noa

Thanks for putting those images up. Is there any gain being used by the camera on the stage shot?

Cheers

Jon
Jon Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #23
Inner Circle

There was gain used but I don't know anymore how much.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques