good hybrid bags to carry all gear - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 27th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: good hybrid bags to carry all gear

Hi Pete,

It's amazing how different people find the same thing. I have a Classified 250AW and find it a pig to carry about, I didn't use it for long and haven't used it in months.

I now use a Lowepro Pro Runner 300AW backpack, which has the mesh type of back panel to aid ventilation. I find it much less of a strain on my already bad back and, with a tripod strapped in the holder, I can get around much easier. Yes, it is close to impossible to get stuff out with it on the back, so I take it off, set up, then put it back on where it is out of the way. Then again, I'm not doing wedding work I'm retired, so I just strap it on and walk to wherever I plan to shoot.

My wife has sling type bag which has one diagonal strap. It has an opening on one side near the bottom, so she can swing it around and gain access without taking it off. Neat, but it's only made in relatively small sizes.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Major Player

I liked the 250AW so much I bought a second one :- ) A black one for video gear and a sepia one for photo gear - so I don't get them mixed up. Yes I can imagine it would be too big and cumbersome to carry as a hobbyist and for that I have a couple of much smaller Lowepro Nova 200AW's. These are just big enough to drop my Panasonic AC90 into fully tricked out with shotgun mic and G3 receiver without having to break down anything, plus a few bits and pieces. The 200AW will also hold a quite extensive dSLR photo kit - I've had in mine 2 x 5DII's, 2 x flashguns, 1 x battery pack, 1x 24-105 f4L. 1 x 15mm f2.8L, 1 x 70-200 f2.8L IS, 1 x 50mm f1.2, 1 x Z96 video light with external battery and pistol grip, plus bits and pieces in its pockets.

What I particularly value about the 250AW is that its walls are semi-rigid so it maintains its shape when the kit comes out; my predecessor to it - a Lowepro Magnum - would just flop over. I also like the sewn on straps on the sides through which you can attach extra pouches. Plus the slip through layer on the back through which you can slide the handles of a two wheel trolley / suitcase trolley instead of having to attach the bag with luggage straps. The Nova 200AW has that as well but no straps for pouches.

But for trekking out comes my trusty old Lowepro petite backpack. For airshow type events I tend to use a Think Tank belt kit complete with a yoke; the TT kit is much lower profile than the Lowepro equivalent and my Lowepro belt stuff doesn't get used any more.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I finally used my new bag yesterday, I got a Lowepro Pro Runner 450AW. I managed to fully load that thing, it's quite heavy but my panasonic camera's and lumix lenses make it a lot lighter then if I had canon camera's/lenses. I do use a small trolley that I got last year that came with a petrol bag so if needed I can roll it.

I first wanted to get the Lowepro Pro Runner x450AW, the one with the trolley wheels build in until I noticed that empty it was double the weight so that would add up significantly if I had to carry it on my back with all my gear.

So far I"m happy with it, really wanted a bag that has one big compartment so I have easy and quick access to all my gear and now I just have one bag with me instead of two. Build quality is also a level up from my previous bag.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques