gopro 4 with 3 axis stabilisers - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 16th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: gopro 4 with 3 axis stabilisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Last two ever? Nigel, say it ain't so. What's the story?
I probably should contribute to Craig's post over on the member's forum but basically like Tariq have found it too tough to make a living from wedding videos. The basic problem is the 'making a living' bit as customers are not really prepared to what it's really worth to produce a decent wedding video plus the big killer that it's all but impossible to book more than one or two weddings per week. Wedding photography is better paid for the effort involved but competition from Weekend Warriors is driving the prices down. Both wedding video & photography suit part time work & can be a great supplementary income but as a full time occupation it's precarious.

I have actually amazed myself by returning to my old job after a career break of several decades. I now get a very decent salary & good job satisfaction. I miss the freedom of being in charge of my own time & it's much harder work than shooting weddings but a regular salary is very comforting.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
More of these handheld stabilisers start to appear, JOBO has the GYROpod MD-1 for camera's up to 750gr and a smaller version, the sp1 for smartphones, both are 2 axis stabilised, If you look on vimeo (by clicking on the title of the video) for the reactions you can see it is not positive, not sure it is a user error.
750grams??

The Sony A7S is 489grams. ARe there any sony fe lenses that will keep that under 750 I wonder?

It doesn't seem like it should handle a sony A7s though. I'm skeptical!

But just looking here - a Sony A6000 plus the Sony e-mount 16mm 2.8 pancake lens weighs in at 460grams at a cost of £920. The quality would blow the GoPro out of the water!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #33
Inner Circle

That's what the spec sheet says so I should think that is correct, with a panasonic gh4 paired with a 12mm f2.0 olympus glass I could stay under that weight.
That handheld stabiliser is not going to replace my blackbird, but it will have it's place fort certain steadicam like shots I have not been able to make because of the size and weight.
This is an area where the gopro blows any other camera out of the water :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #34
Major Player

Yea Noa, l'd probably stick with my steadicam and A7s for dancing because of low light ability, but an A6000 on one of these would be great for carrying along on the photo shoot!
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I'm still thinking the RX100, probably a M3 for the XAVCS.... small, light, good image quality in tight quarters/low light, paired with a 3 axis setup.... hmm, will have to put that on the Christmas wish list!

I've been trying to figure out a "replacement" for the PJ7xx series cams (with the internal lens gimbals), this might fit the bill - not something I'd use a lot, but probably handy to have! As more small 4K capable cameras become available, having an "external magic eyeball" arrangement seems like a great way to go.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #36
Major Player

Dave, I'm a little torn. The RX100 mk3 is £700. The a6000 is £550 with a 16mm f2.8 at £219 making it only marginally more expensive.

I know you lose some stops, and a lot of zoom range, but I'd be right in saying the quality would be superior? no?
Old October 17th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Both mentioned cameras produce excellent results, the rx100 is a all in one solution and the only one worthy to be called a pocketcam. Having build in nd's is also a major benefit in my opinion.
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #38
Major Player

Do those cameras stop shooting after a while due to heating up? Or are they reliable?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #39
Inner Circle

RX100M3's are still a tad expensive, being "new"... I'm waiting patiently, as my M2's do OK, and the RX10 w/2.0 firmware are fine and dandy.

The A6000 is an entirely different animal, with APS-C sensor vs. the 1" class of the RX's. I have Alpha mount APS-C cameras, but don't take them out much - the RX100 is a "pocket rocket", and the RX10 is just plain a good "all around" shooter - both meet my needs rather well, and mean less "kit" in lenses and such. Of course, your personal preferences/needs may vary...

@Andrew
So far (knock on wood), the RX's have never even hinted at overheating, although I somehow seem to recall there is a reference in the manual. They are generally built like little tanks, so with the most basic of care, they should serve a shooter for quite a while. I'm guessing not quite as hardened as a GoPro, but you can get a solid underwater shell for them pretty cheap, and that would probably make it even more durable for wet/dusty conditions.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #40
Major Player

Noa,

I know you say the GoPro will take a few weeks to arrive, buthas your 3-axis stabiliser arrived yet? Any first impressions or comments on build quality?
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #41
Inner Circle

I have took it out of it's packaging, looked at it and put it back in :) So not much to comment about it, once the gopro arrives (arrival date should be beginning November) I can tell more about it. From the first look the handle is very solid but the head looks fragile which I guess is normal as the construction to stabilise and hold the gopro is not something you could sit on as a test.
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Sounds good Noa

I have been seriously thinking about using an action cam on something like this for my bridal shoots after the ceremony so your comments will be great.

The idea is that, with me getting older, getting into a vest and arm and lugging it around for 20 minutes is getting rather tiring so if I can go single handed it will be a huge asset and save my aching body.

With my stedicam I usually do what Don Bloom calls "roundie roundies" ..I go around a couple 360 degrees while they kiss or gaze into each other's eyes ... it would be nice to know if this rig could achieve the same sort of move .... 25kg of rig is killing me!!

Do you need a 3 axis gimbal or will a 2 axis work as well ..which axis do they leave out ???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #43
Major Player

Also, as a thought - the LX100 shooting 4k might be an option. If there is still some minor obvious bobbing or movement, the 4k would be handy for adding extra stabilisation in post!

Although you lose your slow-mo capability as 4k is only 30p.
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Don't think that the Feiyu G3 is suitable for any other camera then the gopro, it has to be prealanced in the factory since you only need to slide the gopro in and it's ready after initialising.

The Feiyu G3 balances the roll, pitch and pan, the 2-axis stabilization does pitch and roll only according to the info on their website. That pan stabilisation or control is important as when you change direction the camera will slowly follow you. It should result in smoother movement.

Must say I"m getting more and more excited to give it a go, hope I won't be too disappointed, I have seen some user videos online but most where from people that probably never used a steadicam before, since I do have some experience that should help in getting better results, at least I hope so...
Old October 20th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #45
Major Player

Ah right - Noa I though you had ordered the Gyropod MD1.

Well, I'd still be interested to see what the GoPro can do.

I'd much rather fly an RX100m3 which can give you a certain amount of DOF though.

An RX100m3 plus Gyropod MD1 would come in at £1100. And portable enough to just grab and go, or strap onto you bag/belt for easy access.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques