gopro 4 with 3 axis stabilisers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 12th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #1
Inner Circle

gopro 4 with 3 axis stabilisers

I came across a few Chinese dealers that start to sell these things: Feiyu G3 Handheld Stabilizer for GoPro HERO 3 and 4 (3-Axis) - HeliPal.

From the looks of it you can get some pretty smooth glidecam shots in a pocket size. I was thinking of getting a gopro but since I don't skydive or snowboard I was having some doubts if it would be usefull at a wedding, but now I have seen these small stabilisers I might be able to use it during a photoshoot, it would easily fit in a backpack and the 4K shooting option of the gopro blackversion seems plenty detailled to mix with my other camera's. (like Mark has demonstrated: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-po...4k-videos.html)

One reason I only start using my steadicam at the venue is that it is too cumbersome to drag along before that and when used outside, even the smallest breeze trows it off balance. These 3 axis stabilisers however seem to have no problem with wind so it could be a usefull tool?

Price is not to steep either and it could be a powerfull combo, anyone has one or considering getting one?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: gopro 4 with 3 axis stabilisers

Very interesting indeed.... though I wonder if we'd still suffer the usual 'bob' as we walked along without a vest.

Last edited by Dave Partington; October 12th, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
Dave Partington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I can get "bob" free movement without a vest and that's a simple technique of slightly bending your knees, making short steps and holding your arm in the way the arm of a steadicam is positioned (with your elbow pointing sideways) so you have 2 points that take away the "bobs".

all steadicam shots in below trailer are done without a stabiliser with my blackbird, so it should be possible to get a smooth motion with that 3 axis handheld stabiliser. This can never replace a real steadicam but for stabilised shots on the go in circumstances that where otherwise impossible (for me then as a solo shooter) this might prove to be very useful, especially because of it's size as it will be easy to transport. I would never use it in in situations where I only get one shot to get it right but I certainly see a use for this during the photoshoot or even during brideprep, both moments I"m not using my blackbird now.

Old October 12th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I've been using a 2 axis gimbal with my GoPro on my quadcopter for about a year and was looking at maybe gettign a 3 axis gimbal to make a hand held support. Looks like they have beaten me to it.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Major Player

thinking about getting this combination, the Hero4 Black and that gimbal, perfect for those moments that you can cover a lot of stuff where theres lots of movement where ordinarily you wouldn't be set up for!

Good safety cam too, easy to set up!

Also thinking of swapping out the camera on the Phantom and upgrading at some point when they have a compatible gimbal.
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I ordered the Feiyu G3 today, the gopro4 black is on backorder, takes 1 to 2 weeks before it will hit the stores, now the wedding season comes to an end I"ll have plenty of time to test it and maybe take it with me for the last wedding this year end November.

Last edited by Noa Put; October 13th, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old October 13th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Is the GoPro 4 REALLY up to the standard though? Or are we only tempted by the cheap price and the easy portability?

I know I bought a GoPro once (maybe version 2?) and sold it after one wedding - anything less that full daylight and it was unusable.

Also, does it have focal length options? I'm not keen on SUPER wide. I'd like something around 18-24mm equivalent on a full frame.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I ordered the Feiyu G3 today, the gopro4 black is on backorder, takes 1 to 2 weeks before it will hit the stores, now the wedding season comes to and end I"ll have plenty of time to test it and maybe take it with me for the last wedding this year end November.
Keep us posted Noa....
Old October 13th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Is the GoPro 4 REALLY up to the standard though? Or are we only tempted by the cheap price and the easy portability?
I don't intent to use it indoor when it's too dark, that's when my blackbird and gh3 and a 12mm f20 are used, but for the first part of the day when there is sufficient light (the part I have almost never used a steadicam before because there is often no time to use it or to difficult to take along) I definitely see a use for it, just grab from my bag, do some quick steadicam shots with it whenever there is little time, since you don't have to stabilise it, just turn on the power and go, it should be easy and quick to use.

About image quality, I just saw the gopro also does 2.7K at 50frames sec, that's what I would choose, still some cropping room and possibility to slow down. From the samples that are available online at 4K downsampled to 1080p you have to admit the image looks very impressive coming from such a tiny box.

How it will work in real life, that's another thing as this is all theory :) Shooting all auto with the gopro would be one issue but I"m sure you quickly will see how to work around it's shortcomings.

Maybe if I"ll post my first try out here you all will be clicking the order button. :D and if you don't hear from me you will now it's a piece of crap. :)
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

For my last two weddings (last two ever but that's another story:-) I travelled really light & used 2 x OM-D E-M5s plus a GoPro HD Hero 3+ Black Edition for the locked off wide safety shot. The video quality in reasonable light was fine & the simplicity of Start/Stop without worrying about aperture/focus/WB etc or anything except framing makes them incredibly easy & worry free to use. I had a Hero 2 & didn't regard quality as good enough for any more than the odd cut away to an unusual POV but the Hero 3+ BE is usable & I assume that the Hero 4 will be even more usable. Remotely controlling the GoPro over WiFi with an iPhone is fantastic.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Trustee

Last two ever? Nigel, say it ain't so. What's the story?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Really interested to hear how that mini steady rig works... wonder if it could be adapted to a RX100M3... hmmm.... that would be rather sweet.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Over the past few years everything has been getting smaller and smaller and our concept that wedding cameras have to be 3' long on your shoulder and weigh 25lbs is fast going out the window!

If a GoPro works for a wedding then perfect ...we are past judging a wedding videographer now by the size of his camera. I have always envied the photog who gets out his car, grabs a camera and shoots.

The idea of picking up a rig with a GoPro on it ...remember NO tripod is needed in theory so you have nothing to carry and nothing to set up .... What we really need is total portability on cameras but with built in audio devices where we can clip something the size of a pea on the groom and even the bride in seconds and have brilliant audio too.

It won't be long either until you WILL have a cam the size of an action camera that will also "see in the dark" for receptions .... My little $100 action cams already totally out perform my older GoPro Hero 2's and the footage is getting pretty close to good enough for weddings. It's just the audio side that needs to be sorted out so we have minimum setup time with that side

Won't it be bliss when you don't need to unpack the car at a wedding anymore?? Just grab and work.

I'm looking at my big Sony's here, my stedicam sled and vest and rubbing my chin and thinking, maybe Noa has got something here and maybe my next set of cameras will actually fit in a small bag?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Already close to there, last shoot was AX100 on a tripod and two RX10's on monopods (ones with the feet). Had a couple "assistants" as it was a family deal, so my young sons could man cameras, such an easy shoot!

Couple small bags, a case of grip stuff "just in case", left that in the car only needed one thing because I forgot my custom shoe mount for the AX (dang allergies, brain fog!!), and the tripod/monopods. Actually was able to "fly" the AX on the bigger Sirui monopod pretty nicely!

I gave up on big heavy gear a while ago... something like that GoPro and handheld stabilizer seems like another great "toy" that would fit in with a "one man band" to allow additional production quality alongside some locked down cams
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Intersting to see if it's possible to mount my smallHD monitor - I can see that there's a phone mount but I don't like the lag when previewing from my android phone - plus it can take an age for my phone to 'see' the gopro. I also have issues with the battery going down quicker when wifi is enabled (GoPro3) so using a monitor is a must - I've heard the LCD backpac is pretty poor, especially in sunlight although for basic framing it might be good enough.

The case for small cameras is a good one but for my main runaround camera it boils down to one thing - full manual control - this is the one thing that is difficult with small cameras as there is simply not the space for separate focus/Iris/gain/shutter speed/WB etc. I use my CX730 for emergency 'grab a camera and film it' situations as the picture is cracking and auto mode is good but If I want to use any manual override then it's into a touch screen menu system - PITA

Pete

Last edited by Peter Rush; October 15th, 2014 at 02:39 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques