Mounting 2 cameras on one tripod - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 19th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Mounting 2 cameras on one tripod

Thanks for that Adrian, a very clear demo of how it works. It looks very professional and as you say pretty quick to set up if you leave the heads in place. I noticed you are panning the cameras by holding the camera itself rather than using a panhandle. Is there provision on the heads for a pan handle?

Yours looks like a better solution than mine for stage shows and shoots where there is more of a fixed filming position. I think mine probably gives more flexibility for weddings, as I can use the normal tripod handle for main panning, which gives less chance of vibration as it is central. Yesterday, I had the second video camera clamped to the central column for the ceremony, and when I went to the bottom of the aisle to get them coming down, I just quickly unclamped it and re clamped it to a nearby upright for a different angle.

Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages depending on the type of shoot.

Thanks for the video, very interesting, hope you managed to get some sleep!

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #17
Trustee

In terms of setup time, I spend some time adjusting the distance of the heads at the start of the video, but this isn't necessary -- you could just leave them fixed in whatever position is preferred. So, setup would then just be a case of attaching it to your tripod, and then attaching cameras.

Re the pan arms, I guess the main reason I don't normally use them is because when they're attached it's trickier to pack. But definitely they'd make for easier and better operation.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #18
Trustee

Adrian, thanks for this. It shows what I feared, that playing with one camera always affects the other. It's just the way it's going to be when they are connected :(
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I use the Haig Twin Tripod bracket shown here
Hague THM75 Twin Head Tripod Mount 75mm - Cameragrip
Works well for me!
Barry Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Mine is made by Hague and is about as simple as you can get. I have used it for about 5 years for both 3d and multicam work. Just a simple plate with a cork non slip top face and two slots with sliding mounting screws. Also extra threaded holes at either end. I use it to fix cameras to directly or with a remote pan and tilt. Also great for flash/lights/mics and very cheap! Hague TCM Twin Camera Mount - Cameragrip

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 07:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Remember folks you may not even need to buy anything new at all to achieve two cams on one tripod.

This config uses an old boom arm pole together with a couple of superclamps:

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/images/dvi/dualcam1.jpg

And an old unloved dSLR cage:

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/images/dvi/dualcam2.jpg

BTW Adrian I find the 701 heads difficult to achieve a smooth pan with. I guess you might well get the smoothest pan by moving the camera body itself. I tend to have mine on lightstands and I loosen one joint in the stands pillar and rotate from there :- )

Pete

p.s. those old dying sweet peas are coming out this afternoon!
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques