DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   A turning point in video/photo packages? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/526592-turning-point-video-photo-packages.html)

Roger Gunkel February 9th, 2015 06:05 AM

Re: A turning point in video/photo packages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1876200)
Roger I'd like to quote that statistic to prospective couples - do you have a link to the survey? I've googled but can't find it

Hi Peter, I spent an hour trying to track down that particular quote, but there are hundreds of wedding surveys and hundreds of Daily Mail wedding orientated posts that quote many different surveys, although finding complete survey results is almost impossible, they must be subscription based. Several here saw the original figures and it is a shame that I can't now find them.

The figures for US weddings are considerably different, with video seeming to have a higher priority than in the UK at about 30%+. The whole approach to weddings seems more entertainment and media based in the US with much bigger budgets and social importance.

Roger

Steve Burkett February 9th, 2015 06:15 AM

I'm not sure even if you did track the Daily Mail article, it would act as proof of the validity of the figures. I can just imagine the look on a prospective couples face as I explain this survey and say, 'well it must be true, it was published in the Daily Mail'.

Roger Gunkel February 9th, 2015 07:14 AM

LOL Yes I normally say a national bridal magazine in conjunction with the Daily Mail!! Mind you there are so many 'wedding surveys' out there that you can probably pick the one that suits you best. They seem to be run by venues, photographers, dress suppliers, care hire companies and probably the local chip shop.

I thought of conducting a survey of all my past brides to see what percentage had a video :-)

' A UK wedding company conducted a survey of 2000 brides and found that after looking at the options, 100% had chosen to have a video of their wedding day'

Roger

Peter Rush February 9th, 2015 07:36 AM

A survey recently published shows UK brides spend on average £659 on a video - It doesn't state what sort of coverage they get for that and it's quite a bit less than I charge for my most popular package - having said that there is a husband/wife team in my town that advertise a full day for that price!

You & Your Wedding survey reveals the average cost of a wedding is over £20,500 | Immediate Media Co ? The Special Interest Content and Platform Company

Roger Gunkel February 9th, 2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1876234)
A survey recently published shows UK brides spend on average £659 on a video - It doesn't state what sort of coverage they get for that and it's quite a bit less than I charge for my most popular package - having said that there is a husband/wife team in my town that advertise a full day for that price!

You & Your Wedding survey reveals the average cost of a wedding is over £20,500 | Immediate Media Co ? The Special Interest Content and Platform Company

I wouldn't worry too much Pete as I saw another one today that says the average price paid for photography is £500. I think the word average is key here, because that will include those that used family members who charged nothing or minimal costs. When it comes to prices, averages can be very misleading.

The couple that advertise that price in your town may actually have various add ons that take the price up as the definition of 'all day' can be interpreted in many different ways. I visited a potential client this week who had won a voucher for a 'Free Family Portrait Photo Shoot'. The shoot didn't include any of the photos which they had to pay for. They had one small canvas and a 9x6 in a cheap frame that cost them just over £200! Things aren't always what they seem.

Roger

Chris Harding February 9th, 2015 08:43 AM

Hey Pete

Surveys are getting to the stage where the public don't believe them any more ... I can survey 50 people and ask them "would you have had a video if the budget allowed" - if 40 say "Sure" then I can truthfully say ...90% of the people surveyed said they regretted not having a wedding video" Far too easily manipulated!

How about finding a willing couple to do a short video about regretting not having a wedding video ... it would probably strike a few heart strings via your website and make them positive prospects

Steve Burkett February 9th, 2015 12:32 PM

Whenever I see a survey, I'm reminded of one I had to do as part of my Geography GCSE. I had to come up with a questionnaire and approach shoppers to a local supermarket to answer them. Anyway being a bit cheeky, I added a last question - 'Do you ever lie on surveys?' I got an almost 100% response - 'yes'. Whilst my teacher didn't like it and I had to sit in the naughty chair for a class, it shows how much we should take surveys seriously.

Kyle Root February 9th, 2015 12:52 PM

All I know is, I met with a photographer I like working with yesterday and we have defined 3 base packages that offer photo and video.

1 - 1/2 day photo and video
2 - full day photo 1/2 day video
3 - full day photo and video

I plan to send out this info to the 200 brides on my mailing list from the bridal show I did and we'll see if anyone bites. lol