My Venue Speeches Recorder Solution - Non Wireless at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 10th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

My Venue Speeches Recorder Solution - Non Wireless

More just for those who may find it by google or whatever - perhaps won't be much of a discussion starter, but I'm happy with both the quality, aesthetics, and simplicity of this solution.

The recorder is a Sony ICDUX533B UX - £55

Sony ICDUX533B UX Series 4GB Voice Recorder - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

The recorder comes with a slip on pouch. It's fairly secure. I then had my mum sew some black fabric elastic onto it, for sliding securely onto the venue's mic.

The little tiny mic on it is the EDUTIGE ETM-001 - £24

EDUTIGE Dual Microphone ETM-001: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Here is an audio sample from a made of honor:

Recorder on Venue Mic Uploaded by clive.mclaughlin_105_gp at Your Listen
Attached Thumbnails
My Venue Speeches Recorder Solution - Non Wireless-untitled-3-recovered.gif   My Venue Speeches Recorder Solution - Non Wireless-untitled-2-recovered.gif  

My Venue Speeches Recorder Solution - Non Wireless-untitled-1-recovered.gif   My Venue Speeches Recorder Solution - Non Wireless-image7.jpg  

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: My Venue Speeches Recorder Solution - Non Wireless

Thanks very much for posting that, Clive. That's a brilliant solution. I think it's better than anything suggested in the long thread we had on the subject (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...icrophone.html).

I've been Googling around and haven't found a more suitable recorder and microphone than the ones you've selected, and the holder looks easier to apply and stronger than any of the other means I've tried (hair elastics, gaffer tape, Velcro). It's also a better solution aesthetically, as you say.

One idea that comes to mind -- if anyone wants to use your method but wants to save on buying a new microphone, a less elegant alternative is to use any lav mic, coil it around the recorder, and secure it so that it points upwards. Ray Roman does this when he's micing up brides, for instance (hides an Olympus Recorder WS812 in their bosom). External microphones definitely will give cleaner sound than the inbuilt microphones.

Another thought -- use of thick fabric elastic potentially hinders access to the on/off button and to the display screen. But I guess you can push through the fabric to turn the thing on/off, if that's where the button is, and most of the time the user won't need to see the LCD display.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Yea Adrian - I previously used a lav mic coiled up when I did this method with tape, but this little mic means less bulk and hassle. I have to say though, my audio tests showed my lav mic performed better than this mic - but darn it, it's cute and very simple!

You are right - the elastic does cover mic buttons and switches, but as I've told venue managers, the fabric can be push pack to gain access. On one occasion I just explain to the manager that he could slide the whole pouch down the mic shaft, make his adjustments and then slide it back up. He felt this was no big deal at all and was very obliging.
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have 2 of these - nice little recorders - like the idea of the elastic - need to learn to sew now!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Clive and Peter - I'm also interested in the Sony ICDUX533B recorder. Was wondering what audio format are you using to record wedding vows/speeches? WAV or MP3? The Sony looks like an economical little recorder but was concerned that it doesn't record WAV 48kHz but LPCM 44.1kHz. I've had trouble in the past with syncing up Olympus voice recorders that record only mp3. Currently using a Yamaha CX audio recorder but want to pick up a few more recorders, but to keep it all to one brand/model to simplify things when it comes to quickly setting them up.

Thanks in advanced.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #6
Major Player

This year I've been providing a mic stand for all of the speeches which has worked really well. It allows me to ensure that the speaker stays in one spot, it ensures that they won't bring the mic down too low, and it also allows me to mount my G3 transmitter and lav to the stand very easily. It would be just as easy to hook a portable recorder and wired lav to the mic stand but I prefer being able to control the levels on my camera with the G3.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #7
Trustee

Of the topic sorry, what do you do when you have all your recorders and audio set up then the venue bloody microphone is noisy, rasps and general poor condition. More work in the edit room or do you buy your own microphone, any out there cheap to plug into the venue that gives sweet audio from the hand held mic. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kirinovic View Post
Clive and Peter - I'm also interested in the Sony ICDUX533B recorder. Was wondering what audio format are you using to record wedding vows/speeches? WAV or MP3? The Sony looks like an economical little recorder but was concerned that it doesn't record WAV 48kHz but LPCM 44.1kHz. I've had trouble in the past with syncing up Olympus voice recorders that record only mp3. Currently using a Yamaha CX audio recorder but want to pick up a few more recorders, but to keep it all to one brand/model to simplify things when it comes to quickly setting them up.

Thanks in advanced.
It does record 44.1Khz WAV format but I've had no issues with drift. My Olympus recorders only recorded MP3/WMA and I had to always compensate for drift which was a pain.
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Of the topic sorry, what do you do when you have all your recorders and audio set up then the venue bloody microphone is noisy, rasps and general poor condition. More work in the edit room or do you buy your own microphone, any out there cheap to plug into the venue that gives sweet audio from the hand held mic. steve
Steve a regular venue I use has a dire PA/mic combo - lots of booming and breath pops, - I used to lav up all the speakers but that's time consuming and a little stressful so now I do what Clive does - fasten a little recorder to the mic - it adds bulk but the result is worth it.
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:20 AM   #10
Trustee

Cheers Pete is that still OK if the hand held is crap?
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #11
Inner Circle

It's about the same as putting a lav mic on them but less hassle Steve. This sample is from lst weekend's wedding.
Attached Files
File Type: wma sample.wma (465.2 KB, 173 views)
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #12
Major Player

Your recorder in this technique is completely separate from the venue PA. So far from being affected by it, it's actually immune to it!

I've had venues where guests could barely hear the PA speakers - my recording was perfect, venues where there was a buzz/hum - my recording was perfect.

Even in instances where speakers hold teh mic far too close that it touches there lips, or too far away that they are barely heard - my attached recorder seems to handle these extremes better than the venue mic and PA does.

It's a no brainer for me. Laving each speaker is the only other workaround but takes far too much time and effort.

I've had one venue manager complain that it looked stupid, but i strongly disagree - I still believe most regular Joe guests don't give a toss what that extra bulk is on the microphone. But I've come up with my method to at least cover a lit up screen, and perhaps rough looking tape work.

I saw a video the other day where the guy had simply attached his Zoom H1 with a beige colour rubber band. I think perhaps we owe it to clients to put a little bit of effort into making it presentable looking.
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:47 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I did an Asian wedding a few years back where the Imam was holding 3 SM58 type mics - now that looked stupid!
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:37 AM   #14
Trustee

sounds good and sorted it with my oldish oly w320, had a spare pouch from oly dm670, cheers guys and Clive...
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Just bought some elastic to sew onto the pouch - 70p! I also ordered that microphone, no cable to mess with, in the past I've used this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BTAH6...pus+microphone

Which sounds good but sticks out at the sides a little and was once accidentally pulled out - the one Clive recommends looks a neater option

Will try it out on Saturday.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques