How to film when not allowed in sanctuary? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 12th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Major Player

How to film when not allowed in sanctuary?

Use a lot of cameras!

I came up with this shot plan for an upcoming wedding where we aren't allowed inside, but unmanned cameras are.

First time this has happened in 15 years.

This is where 4K crop and recompose would be handy. I'm going do a variation and shoot in 1080 but edit on 720 timeline for latitude.

Also plan to go to rehearsal and tape the floor where they will be standing and hope they can stand in same spot on Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
How to film when not allowed in sanctuary?-image.jpg  
Old June 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How to film when not allowed in sanctuary?

Watch out for clip limits on a couple of those - you won't have the luxury of stop/restart? Other than that, looks like about the best you can do...

Guess the last video guy forgot to shower/use deodorant and brush their teeth?!? You know it must have been bad when the video dude is now banished to the outer darkness... somehow I have this picture of a shaggy dude in flouro tank top, surfer trunks, and flip flops...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Oh, and watch out for floral arrangements that won't be there for the rehearsal, but will grow directly in your shot lines overnight!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
we aren't allowed inside, but unmanned cameras are.

First time this has happened in 15 years.
I have had that happen once in a protestant reformed church in Holland, I was not allowed inside and neither where my camera's, easiest wedding ever. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm not sure I understand. Isn't the sanctuary just the very front part where the pastor and wedding party are?

For us, its almost 100% of the time we're not allowed up there. I have been doing a 3 camera, now 4 camera shoot (added a 4K GoPro for the balcony shot).
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Major Player

For us, the sanctuary is the entire room.

We've been told we can re-stage the major events for photos and video after the ceremony, so we plan to do some of that just in case.

My goal is to shoot that with my D750 and a 70-200 for shallow DOF for the highlights though... not necessarily for the ceremony edit.
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Maybe we need to mention this to brides when we book them? Something like "we obviously can only film your wedding IF we are allowed in the Church so our cameras are a reasonable distance from the couple"

Some of our Anglican Churches here specify you cannot be in the aisle at all, nor can you be anywhere in the pew area ... the excuse is "You are here to record the ceremony, not be part of it" .... For me I would be upset if I was only allowed to be in the back! I don't mind being off to one side (as long as it's on the groom's side so I at least favour the bride) and I can understand not being allowed to enter the "sacred" area around the altar.

I recollect someone here in the UK was told by the vicar " You can film the couple entering the Church and then exiting the Church ..that is all!! That would also be an easy wedding!! 4 minutes of footage and the ceremony is done.

I wonder where you stand after booking a bride and then at the rehearsal finding out you have to be way at the back upstairs with little chance of getting any decent footage ??? Maybe grab a couple of GoPros on stands and put then on stands, start them and go relax outside Kyle and call that the ceremony???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques