Top 3 Portable Steadicam/Stabilizers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 27th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Top 3 Portable Steadicam/Stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Received it?
Received it and returning it for a replacement as there appears to be a problem with my one. Although pre calibrated, when switched on, the camera is at an angle both horizontally and vertically; not by much, but enough to mean I had to hold the handle at an angle to keep it level. Some micro vibrations too. I'll try the replacement before making judgement. The issues mentioned in that forum link you gave me are on the nail. The cable to the hot shoe isn't a problem re snagging, not from the admittedly limited use I have had of it.

How durable it is and whether it becomes a purchase I regret remains to be seen. However sometimes you have to take the plunge. If it fails to perform to expectations, then I'll just return. If it does work, I'll keep it and should there be faults further down the line; tough luck on me.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

It makes me wonder how much care they take in pre calibrating it, they only have a limited amount of camera/lens options they use to do that precalibration but I would expect if they use the same body/lens combo as you have it should be perfectly balanced when it arrives.

I did have that same issue you had with my feiyu g3 though which is also balanced for a gopro, the g4 replacement I got later did not have that problem.

I really want to get a stabilizer for my gh4, will use it at my weddings but mainly want to get it for my personal projects, the stuff I plan on doing after I stop doing weddings. I would prefer to buy it in a local store so I don't have any hassles returning it in case it malfunctions and that I get my 2 year warranty. It's only a matter to wait until a local dealer takes a 3 axis stabilizer in stock.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #18
Trustee

To be honest Noa, I agree that buying in store with warranty is the better course of action. It is a hassle to get this thing back. It seems likely this will be a purchase I'll regret indie course, but we'll see. I may yet be surprised.
Old July 27th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #19
Inner Circle

If you look at the demo videos on the suppliers site you should be surprised :) They look very good which was what got my attention in the first place. I will be interested to see how it turns out with your stabilizer.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #20
Tourist

Steve, I'm curious to know how you got on with the Sturdy Cam... The thread is a little stale so I don't know if you'll see this...
Jasper Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #21
Trustee

Hi Jasper,

The answer is very well. Sure it doesn't perform miracles. Some skill of steadicam use is required. So far, I find it is easy to setup as long as you have a flat service to stand it on as you power up. Sometimes it can lean to the side if you set it up on an uneven surface or wobble too much as it powers on. In such cases, I switch off and then hold it on a flat surface to hand and then switch back on. Takes about 20-30 seconds to balance. I've had it pre-calibrated for my camera and lens. So far, I've yet to rebalance it for another lens or adjust the software, but both are possible.

In use, I find walking forward requires good walking on my part, otherwise you get a little bobbing; less so if I walk backwards or to the side. Turning left or right and up and down are dictated by the moving of the handle and this takes some skill to get motion that looks natural rather than forced.

Good points: I can adjust focus manually as I fly as long I do it carefully. Similarly I can start record and operate the focus switch and not have it affect the balance as long I'm not rough with this. My LCD screen is flipped out and therefore visible and adjustable to point up or down depending on where my eye line is. This alone puts it above other handheld gimbals that restrict LCD screen use.

Negative points: You need to attach a cable to the hotshoe of your camera. This cable is quite long and therefore has to be wrapped around the unit to ensure its not left dangling to be caught on something. You also have to remember to remove it when you take off the camera. It seems obvious, but early on in my rush to remove the camera, I forgot the cable was still attached.
Its not weather proof. The electrics are within metal box with clear gaps, both either side and on the edges. You can see into the internal electronics.

That said, it's durable as until recently I had it stored and carried in a cloth bag. I've used it repeatedly in anger, rushing to set it up and not being careful with it and it has survived my not so delicate touch. I've now got a proper case for it; this has now allowed me to add the metal tube and base plate that came with it and which will allow me to place the gimbal and provide flat support as I switch on the unit.

I've been meaning to provide here some samples, but collating footage from various gigs is a bit too time consuming for my schedule at the moment. So have to settle for this promo video below. I brought the gimbal in for some reshoots in September after filming the bulk in July, but sprinkled in with other shots there are a few gimbal shots - at the beginning, 1:23 and 1:35 and 2:49. None have been treated except grading, so no post stabilisation. I'd only had the gimbal a few weeks when I used it for this.

Take a Tour ? Horsebridge Station
Old November 27th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #22
Tourist

Steve

Thanks very much for that. A very thorough reply! I'm glad to hear it is quite robust. I work in Spain and although rain is not really an issue dust is, so it's a bit worrying that the internal electronics are visible.

I am also thinking about keeping it simple and getting the DJI Osmo ... As we have so much light here I could use it for a large part of the day. But, of course, I would prefer to have a better camera mounted on it.

I think I will drop the MiniSturdy guys an email to see if they can calibrate it for my Canon EOSM.

Thanks for the video link. Lovely to see England with the roses blooming! What a great venue.
Jasper Hawker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques