Camera settings for dance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 9th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #1
Tourist

Camera settings for dance

Hi,
I am new to DSLR video. I have a party to film. This party have flash dace item done by 3 guys to the guest. I am thinking what settings should I go to keep all in focus and sharp. Not sure how you guys are setting the camera. My set up is one camera on tripod for steadiness.
I am thinking:

focus : on infinity
f: 5.6
speed: 1/60 ( 24 fps) for the motion

Is this the best way to get a sharp focus ?
Dimi Arachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Camera settings for dance

Hi Dimi, welcome to the forum.

I really think that if you need to ask those sort of basic questions, you may not be ready to shoot under pressure with a DSLR., you may be better to use a video camera.

The questions you are asking are virtually impossible to answer without knowing the type of camera you are using, the type of lens, how much light there will be on the subject, how far away from them you are gong to be etc. The focus is not relevant to the shutter speed, aperture or frame rate, so you will have to decide whether the Autofocus is fast enough, which I doubt on a DSLR or whether you are going to be following focus manually as the dancers move about, which will also quite likely be difficult if you are inexperienced in that type of filming. Setting to infinity is unlikely to be suitable if you are close to the subject or if you are not leaving the camera on the widest angle.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: Camera settings for dance

+1 Roger, learn your specs Dimi
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques