4K experiment this weekend! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 15th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Major Player

4K experiment this weekend!

One of my second shooters just picked up a Panasonic x1000 from some local auction place for $1400.

Everything works and it's in brand new condition. We're going to use it at my wedding shoot this weekend. Looking forward to this experiment!
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: 4K experiment this weekend!

Let us know how it goes; I did ponder this camera for corporate work and video messages at Weddings, replacing my af101a, which currently fills that function.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I can't wait to try it out. He says it's about the same size as our old Canon GL1s, which I thought were just about the perfect size for weddings.

Menu is a bit clunky. He said he was impressed with the 24db gain setting and it appeared to be equivalent to 6db on his XF300.

Resolution was amazing as well.

We're going to use this as a wide shot from the back for the ceremony and try to do the crop in bit on a 1080 timeline.
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Enjoy! I have warmed up to 4k. Not for client reasons but for video production purposes.
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Kyle

Your comments will be quite interesting ..The thing that put me off first of all was the lack of wide angle on the fixed lens! Compared to the FZ1000 I would lose nearly 8mm in some modes (25mm against 33mm in full wide) and it is supposed to a bit sluggish in low light which is important at weddings ..but all that is just others commenting ... I was told the FZ1000 was terrible in low light but for me it shines and a lot better than my big Sony's !!

Keep us updated

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Having just purchased a Sony AX100 I am a 4K convert. The Panasonic X1000 is a bigger camera with a useful looking 20x zoom lens & XLR inputs but with only a 1/2.3" sensor versus the 1" on the Sony. It's probably overkill if you are just going to use it as a locked-off wide camera.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I have yet to see 4K off a small sensor look all that impressive... just saying... when put against the larger sensor cameras, it looks to me more like 3-3.5K... close but not all there.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Panasonic have also released the FZ300 with the same sensor 1/2.3" as the X1000 and most comments I hear are also about the tiny sensor and poor low light performance and it really doesn't do nearly as well as the 1" sensor that they use in the FZ1000 ... I wonder why they chose a 1/2.3" chip for these cameras? I'm guessing on the new FZ300 it's to restrict the DOF due to the massive zoom the camera has (600X optical!!!)

Nevertheless Kyle's comments will be interesting to see
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:53 AM   #9
Major Player

I have the X1000 footage from the ceremony. The church was moderately dark and the gain was pushed high. I was not running the camera, my second shooter was using the remote control app on his phone.

Looking at the footage on a 1080P timeline at 4K resolution (ie it's zoomed in), it looks like mush. Completely mushy and there is no way I'd be zomming in like that and leaving it.

We're going to try again at the next weeding on Aug 1 I think.

I'm still leaning towards a 1" sensor type camera as a nice balance between "low light" performance, shallow DOF ability, and "camcorder" type utility (i.e. no recording time limit).
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

A lot of people say that the camera chip configuration and lens is not the best for some reason. I'm wondering if this is a camera from one of the "manufacture under licence" factories in China ... My HMC80's made in Japan blew my newer AC-130's out of the water ..especially soft lens too! It was a "Panasonic" lens as opposed to a genuine Leica lens and those are the ones that I sold in disgust after 3 months as the image was also mushy!!

On the other hand my new FZ1000's are razor sharp even at MP4 1080 at only 20mbps ... Put it into 4K and it unbelievable!! The FZ series are Japan imports with genuine Leica lenses and wow you wouldn't believe the difference!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques