Mixing UHD and HD wedding footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:49 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Mixing UHD and HD wedding footage

Hi Guys

Steve asked me a question about having to mix footage shot at 3840x2160 and footage shot at 1920x1080 on the same timeline and rendering out to 1080P This is assuming we might be shooting with cameras in 4K and also others in 1080 and need to mix them.

The clip below (sorry just some random footage at home cos our season only starts in 2 weeks time) is made up of 10 second clips with the first in UHD and the second in 1080 and they alternate as 4K and HD to0 the end and all dumped onto my Vegas 13 timeline but keeping the project properties in 3840x2160 ... due to the crop factor the 4K segments are slightly zoomed as opposed to the 1080 ones ... 4K was at 100mbps and 1080 at only 20mbps and then the whole timeline is rendered out to an MP4 file at 4000kbps (I was lazy and wanted to upload quickly!)

Is this the correct method of mixing UHD and HD??? Hope this also answers your question too Steve

Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Mixing UHD and HD wedding footage

Having a 3840x2160 project only makes sense if you plan on delivering in 4K but if you will deliver HD and dvd only then a 1080p project setting is a better option because you gain the cropping ability which you don't have in a UHD project.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Noa

Thanks what I was trying to figure out ...so shoot in UHD but drop the file onto a 1080 timeline and technically you don't get any IQ loss because of the huge file size??? Does your 4K on a 1080 timeline look a bit different to the 1080 in sharpness or will you get away with it??? If the photog blocks my main camera I usually rely on the little action cam mounted high up to save my bacon!! With the Sony cameras my biggest issue was the darn action cam was sharper than the Sony footage.

Appreciated ...I'll do one on a 1080 timeline next!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, unless you want a 4K master you always have to work in a 1080p project and drop your 4K footage in there, not sure how Vegas handles this but Edius automatically resizes it to fit a 1080p resolution and then you can crop to your heart's content :)
My 4k footage looks more detailed on a 1080p timeline compared to my 1080p camera's, even when I zoom in up to it's native resolution I still can mix and match with my 1080p footage. That's the beauty of working with 4K footage, your focus however needs to be spot on because once you start cropping any focus deviation will be painfully visible.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Chris and Noa... Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques