Best storage solution for wedding videographers - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 24th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Best storage solution for wedding videographers

goodbye RAID5, hello RAID0! can't wait to edit off of these drives now!
Attached Images

Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #32
Inner Circle

The price/performance/capacity ratio of a "old" harddisc cannot be beaten, you can get a 6TB disc for 300 euro while a 1T SSD will set you back 500 euro.

Put a few of these large HD in a raid and that will be all the speed you need to edit, a SSD will not give you any performance gains in that respect because the processor is always the bottleneck, it just is not fast enough to be limited by the HD speed.
SSD is only useful for your OS and programs to decrease startup time, I rather spend my money on lots of harddisc space and that has become very cheap these days.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #33
Inner Circle

But why would you edit on a huge drive designed for storage? These are not designed for performance. It makes no sense. And you have no backup.

Ideally an editor should buy two of these for storage/archiving, the second drive being a copy of the first.

Then you buy a FAST drive for editing ONLY, not storage.

This is not rocket science folks.

How I do it:

1 fast drive for OS

2 large drives for storage and archiving, one drive is a copy of the other. This is where you put your video files when they come off of the camera and store them after your edit is done.

1 smaller, faster drive for editing only. While editing you always save your project in three places each time you save it. You save your work on your edit drive, and once on each storage drive.

At the end of your edit, you delete the edit drive, and leave the other copies on your storage drives. Then you move your next wedding or project onto the edit drive and begin again.
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #34
Major Player

To me a regular HDD that can do ~150 MB/s is not really a storage drive. And when you put 2 of those together in RAID0 you pretty much beat any other single 7200rpm HDD, at least when it comes to transfer speeds.

I do have a back-up on another, external WD Red for which I bought a USB3 rack. This setup feels pretty solid to me for now :)
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #35
Trustee

Here's what I do for FCPX on an iMac:

- SSD system drive

- project and media on 12TB eSATA 4-Bay OWC RAID5 (~250MB/s Read/Write)

- regular backup via Carbon Copy Cloner to a pair of cheap 5TB Toshiba drives running as a RAID0 (10TB total) via OSX software RAID. Taped them together for easy handling. Photo attached of this monstrosity ;)

- for more data intensive projects, I use a Thunderbolt RAID5 that reaches ~450MB/s, but for most stuff the cheaper eSATA and USB connections are more than fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Best storage solution for wedding videographers-image.jpg  
Old August 11th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #36
Major Player

Well I know everyone is not condoning online cloud storage but we do use it at the studio for piece of mind.

It was a pain to get the initial Terabytes uploaded, but now it's a no brainier for security. However we do have a pretty fast 25mb upload speed. It takes 1 day to upload a 130gb wedding/event while also backing up to our local 32tb Drobo with dual disk redundancy.

If there is a problem they will expedite ship hard drives to replace the data instead of downloading.

Steve
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Any thoughts on unRAID, FlexRAID and Window's Storage Spaces?

I try to consume as much as possible on this as the needs in storage space continuously increasing....
Stefanos Lampridis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques