Sony rx10ii fz1000 6d 70d - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 20th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Sony rx10ii fz1000 6d 70d

I'm sure Steve meant no harm with his post; just enthusiasm for his choice of camera; something I'm sure we all feel at 1 time or another.

Besides I think the video function in Canon DSLR's deserves all the support it can get, its certainly not getting it from Canon.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #17
Major Player

Having shot my last 2 weddings full on with my Nikon D750, I really love the look SOOC. Nikon did a good job with video in that (and apparently the D5500).

But I obviously don't like having to carry a bag of lenses, but of course the trade off is, amazing footage.

We're renting a Canon C100 Mark I to test at this beach wedding next weekend, and I'm looking forward to comparing it to my D750, and the second shooters a7s.

Someone above posted what I had been trying to think of how to explain... the a7s footage is sterile. Good description based on the times we've used it at weddings.
Old August 21st, 2015, 02:37 AM   #18
Trustee

Ok cool i put it the wrong way no worries, i will post correctly next time...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 09:07 AM   #19
Inner Circle

No issues at all Steve! Some of us like some cameras and dislike others ..it all depends on what end result you want. Yes, Kyle, I was looking for that elusive word too.... I loved my Sony EA-50's and used them for 3 years and technically they were perfect but sadly for me the footage was always sterile ..I used to struggle to make the images "pop" ... Never had any complaints from brides though ..they all seemed happy but the end result in my eyes never was what I expected and I spent countless hours trying to make it shine and never could get it right.

If you see footage straight out of the camera and it makes you say "wow" then you have found the right camera! Brand is totally unimportant!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 10:32 AM   #20
Trustee

OK cool Chris, cheers main man.
Old August 24th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I'll throw another name in the hat. Brought a used blackmagic pocket a few months back. Might be the least desirable wedding camera from a utility standpoint but man, do I never like how it makes human beings look. It's great for bridal prep/photoshoot/random B roll stuff.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 04:16 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I think a pocket cam is about the worst camera to use during a wedding, ergonomical it's just a bad camera and you need a lot of time to set it up and use it properly, the lcd screen is also quite bad, batterylife is bad as well and colorcorrecting it's prores footage to match other camera's might be near impossible, unless you have advanced knowledge in grading. When it comes to ease of use in a bad way this camera comes out on top.

If you want a camera that bridges the gap between dslr and videocamera then the rx10II is as close as it gets, it's the only camera I know of that has some advantages of a dslr but has the functioanlity you would expect from a videocamera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #23
Trustee

I think you may be right Noa, its growing on me....
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #24
Major Player

Depends on the person, if you like BMD and have a lot of experience shooting with them then yes a BMPCC can be the right choice for you to use.

If you go into it hating the BMPCC..... then yeah, I agree it will be the wrong choice for *you*!
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I don't hate the bmpcc, I have one and I like it, but not for weddings, I have been shooting weddings for 10 years now so I think I can speak from experience to say the pocket cam is the worst camera possible to shoot a wedding with, unless you work with multiple shooters and have enough time to set up and if you want to deal with the hassle of colorcorrecting all your footage in post.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #26
Trustee

I came close to getting the bmpcc, but the delays initially in delivery caused me to cancel. I did get the chance to play with one and loved the footage. Mind you it's a camera that needs a lot of support gear to make it practical, which kind of defeats the whole pocket approach to the camera. If a successor that does 4k came out, I'd be in the market for one. Even might use it on Weddings in conjunction with a gh4. Not as a main camera though.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I don't hate the bmpcc, I have one and I like it, but not for weddings, I have been shooting weddings for 10 years now so I think I can speak from experience to say the pocket cam is the worst camera possible to shoot a wedding with, unless you work with multiple shooters and have enough time to set up and if you want to deal with the hassle of colorcorrecting all your footage in post.
Yeah, I definitely agree that it's probably the worst camera ever for a wedding, from a usability standpoint. I use it as a third camera for moments where there is a bit of a setup time, and never for anything critical. That said, to me it looks nicer than any camera I've used and had my 2nd shooters use.

The post workflow time is an overblown concern in my opinion. Doesn't take long to start with a baseline LUT and tweak to get a good image after. Plus, the pro res stuff edits really smoothly. And there's much more color flexibility, even with Pro Rest LT, which comes in handy for a lot of the poorly lit rooms/venues I'm stuck with.

So it has it's charms. Just depends on when you use it. I already had a GH2 so I was good to go with lenses too.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques