Need New Audio Solution - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:11 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Need New Audio Solution

So what's the solution to this dilema?
My nephew refused to wear the H1 in his tightly fitting suit jacket pocket at his recent wedding. He's the first one to complain, but I'm expecting more.
The dimensions "thickness" of some of the suggestions here, aren't much of an improvement on the H1
So I'd like to repeat the OPs question!!!!
"looking for something lower profile (flatter) to use for the groom. Anyone have any recommendations?"
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:43 AM   #17
Major Player

anyone remember the iRivers? :)
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:21 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I have a couple of Zoom H1s and a couple of Sony ICD-PX312s. The Sony's only record MP3, although there are other versions in the same body size that record WAV. Personally I think that MP3 is very acceptable for recording the vows if you use the higher settings. Some people get vey precious about wav for audio recording, but mp3 is good enough for millions of MP3 players for music which I think is more demanding than basic voice recording. Anyway, never been a problem for me.

In my opinion, the H1 is too bulky for an inside pocket, whereas the Sony is much smaller and slimmer. I have attached a couple of grainy pics taken with the iPad to give an idea of size difference.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Need New Audio Solution-image.jpg  
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:24 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Could only upload 1 pic, so here is the other.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:27 AM   #20
Trustee

Problem with the H1 is the mics on the top, which when attaching the unit to a lapel are redundant, but do take up a lot of space and pad out the top somewhat. Lapel mic attachment is on the side, which can be awkward. I have used it once or twice, but it's just too bulky. I've got these olympus pocket recorders now and even a little fabric pouch for them to sit in. Lapel mic connection is at the top and it slips quite comfortably into the pocket. I think the lower profile the better.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:41 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

How bulky are your 2.4Ghz wireless transmitters in comparison to the Sony Recorders??? I usually run a lav cable inside the jacket and drop a transmitter into a side trouser pocket if the breast inside pocket is too tight a fit ..It is still hidden there!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:17 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walsh View Post
So what's the solution to this dilema?
My nephew refused to wear the H1 in his tightly fitting suit jacket pocket at his recent wedding. He's the first one to complain, but I'm expecting more.
The dimensions "thickness" of some of the suggestions here, aren't much of an improvement on the H1
So I'd like to repeat the OPs question!!!!
"looking for something lower profile (flatter) to use for the groom. Anyone have any recommendations?"
Olympus dm670...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:41 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Roger

How bulky are your 2.4Ghz wireless transmitters in comparison to the Sony Recorders??? I usually run a lav cable inside the jacket and drop a transmitter into a side trouser pocket if the breast inside pocket is too tight a fit ..It is still hidden there!
Attached a pic to show relative sizes of Sony, H1 and Boya TX. The Boya is thinner than the H1 and slightly thicker than the Sony. Shorter than either and about twice as wide a both. It fits into an inside pocket with no problem and nobody has queried the size. Being a regular shape probably also helps and there is a belt clip if you want to attach it elsewhere. I thought you had already ordered one?

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:46 AM   #24
Inner Circle

The Yamaha C24 is smaller & about half the thickness of the Sony ICD-PX312 in Roger's photo. It's a real shame that Yamaha stopped production because there is no other comparable quality recorder in such a small package. It was promoted as the "World's smallest 24bit/96kHz pocket recorder". It weighs 57g including battery & is 37.6 (W) x 113.0 (H) x 21.1(D) mm

The replacement product the Yamaha Pocketrak PR7 looks lot a bulkier but according to the specifications isn't all that much bigger at 46.6(W) x 132.1(H) x 28.7(D) mm but is heavier at 82g including battery. I haven't seen one in the flesh but it certainly looks smaller than a Zoom H1.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:00 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The Yamaha C24 is smaller & about half the thickness of the Sony ICD-PX312 in Roger's photo. It's a real shame that Yamaha stopped production because there is no other comparable quality recorder in such a small package. It was promoted as the "World's smallest 24bit/96kHz pocket recorder". It weighs 57g including battery & is 37.6 (W) x 113.0 (H) x 21.1(D) mm

The replacement product the Yamaha Pocketrak PR7 looks lot a bulkier but according to the specifications isn't all that much bigger at 46.6(W) x 132.1(H) x 28.7(D) mm but is heavier at 82g including battery. I haven't seen one in the flesh but it certainly looks smaller than a Zoom H1.
Don't think the Yamaha is half the thickness Nigel, the Sony is 38(W) x 114(W) x 21(D) mm so is virtually identical in size to the Yamaha C24, certainly one of the smallest on the market.

Roger
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #26
Major Player

I just purchased two Tascam DR-10C recorders and they are FANTASTIC! They do everything that the Juicedlink Little Darling was supposed to do except these are available now while the Little Darling has been on hold for quite a while.

I use them in conjunction with my G3 system since they have a passthrough. I plug my Sennheiser ME2 lav into the DR-10C, then run a 4" cable (which came with the DR-10C) to the G3 transmitter. This gives me 3 tracks to work with:

- The audio from the G3 system that is sent wirelessly into my camera
- The audio from the main track on the DR-10C
- The audio from the safety track on the DR-10C

The quality of the DR-10C track is much better because there's no loss of quality through the wireless transmission and it doesn't have any of the issue with interference. Having the safety track is wonderful in case someone speaks too loudly. The wireless track doesn't really get used but it's just nice to have a track where I can adjust the levels on my camera.

These can also be used without the G3 system as a portable recorder to place in a pocket that's about 1/2 the size of the Zoom H1, has a locking connector, and also has a safety track. The only downside is the price as it's more expensive than other options, but for me it's absolutely been worth it because I no longer stress about audio during the ceremony the way I used to.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Hey Michael, did you mean Tascam DR-10C . Are they available in the US somehow? Product: DR-10C Series | TASCAM
Old September 4th, 2015, 04:37 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Michael the specs on the DR-10C say they are 1" deep which is pretty much the same as a H1 - I think I might get a few grooms not happy with that bulge in their tailored jacket - back to the drawing board?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I've thought about this type of solution for a long time,
Attached Thumbnails
Need New Audio Solution-tascam.jpeg  
Old September 4th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

Problem is they have to be on the side not at the back otherwise when the groom turns towards the priest/officiant, the transmitter is in the shot and on the side they also tend to bulge out the jacket, especially if it's buttoned up. I did it once and it looked ugly on wide shots!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques