DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Need New Audio Solution (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/529583-need-new-audio-solution.html)

Art Varga September 1st, 2015 02:01 PM

Need New Audio Solution

My Sennheiser G2 wireless system died so I need to decide whether to replace with another wireless or go with a stand alone recorder. I currently have a Zoom H1 that I use to mic the officiant but looking for something lower profile (flatter) to use for the groom. Anyone have any recommendations?

I saw this on another post and would love to see how they work but they are not shipping till early next year.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...ophones#/story

David Barnett September 1st, 2015 03:52 PM

Re: Need New Audio Solution

Sorry to get off subject, but where do you all place these Zoom recorders? I've seen them called 'pocket recorders', do you literally stick them in the grooms packet (coat or pants)? or nearby?

For now I still only use a wireless lav from the groom on Ch 1 & on camera mic on Ch 2.

Art Varga September 1st, 2015 04:26 PM

Dave- yes, the Zoom H1 is small enough you can put it in a pocket but it is about an inch thick so it might create a bulge depending on where you place it. That's why I was looking for something a little lower profile. I tried a small Olympus recorder a while back but the sound quality was not good.

Art

Nate Haustein September 1st, 2015 04:33 PM

iPod Touch + Rode Smart Lav+

Records pretty much all day long - 10+ hours. Not too bad of an investment at about $200. I use it as a third audio source if I need it.

That being said, I'm selling a couple of Sennheiser G3 sets with ECM77 mics at the moment...

Steven Davis September 1st, 2015 05:55 PM

I too went to replace my Senn G2 system, and after tons of research, went with the Senn G3 system. Pretty happy so far. I'd love to go to a wireless/wave combo, but I need to pay my house mortgage instead.

Peter Rush September 2nd, 2015 01:14 AM

The H1 is too bulky for a jacket pocket - you might get grooms resistant to having it - I was looking at one of these as they record a safety track at a lower level but just as bulky now I've looked at the dimensions

Product: DR-10C Series | TASCAM

Currently I use 3 of these Sony recorders - they are nice and slim but I'm still looking for the perfect LAV mic to use with them - I have a couple of Senny G2 mics but they do not connect too well because of the locking collar so I'm still looking

Sony ICDUX533B UX Series 4GB Voice Recorder - They are great and record wav format LPCM 44.1kHz/16bit

Steve Bleasdale September 2nd, 2015 03:11 AM

Zoom h1 to big the groom don't like bulky mics in a nice new suit, thats the norm is skinny pants jacket around UK so get a Olympus dm 670 then your going places...

Peter Rush September 2nd, 2015 04:14 AM

Steve what lav mics do you use?

Steve Bleasdale September 2nd, 2015 10:12 AM

Peter i use three olympus me-15, one aspen, one azden 503, the aspen azden are supposed to be better, but there is no difference, steve

Oren Arieli September 2nd, 2015 10:23 AM

I think there is still a need for wired/wireless solutions. So it's not just a matter of throwing out the wireless because of issues. Perhaps you should look into a diversity wireless. I've been very pleased with the Sony UWP-V6 series. Having had almost no dropouts or interference issues in years of shooting. I do corporate and event, so a wireless is crucial for me. For weddings, it's a godsend to lav the officiant, and listen in to his cues before the ceremony begins.
Of course, the best system to have is a dual system, wireless and wired mics have their place...just spend good money on a good system and you'll have fewer worries.

Art Varga September 2nd, 2015 02:37 PM

Anyone hear any news on this device by Juicedlink?
The Adorable Juicedlink Little DARling Distributed Audio Recorder | explora
I saw the NAB promo on this quite awhile ago but nothing since. B&H has it listed as coming soon.

Matt Thomas September 2nd, 2015 02:58 PM

Anyone got any suggestions what to look for a budget/reasonably priced wireless handheld microphone that can be powered by its self and as a portable receiver unit so it can plug into either a camera or audio recorder?

Only want this option for getting clear sound during the speeches.

Craig McKenna September 2nd, 2015 03:47 PM

H1s are too bulky? Really? Most of my grooms have happily worn a Sony M10, which is a great recorder that I feel is too bulky. Eventually, I'll switch to the TASCAMs, but not for the forseeable future. Invested a lot in the M10s to begin with, and the pant pocket is a great alternative.

Steve Bleasdale September 3rd, 2015 01:18 AM

Zoom H1 bulky??
Yes but i have been trading for 10 years with over 500 weddings and just about every groom moans over the zoom H1 bulkiness in their pockets well most of the 37 weddings this year have. I like my grooms to be comfy.

Nigel Barker September 3rd, 2015 03:38 AM

The Zoom H1 is definitely too bulky for a pocket. Sadly Yamaha stopped selling the excellent Pocketrak C24 Pocket Recorder a couple of years ago as these really are pocket-sized. Happily I still have a couple if I ever need them. I also have a Sennheiser G3 system as there is no substitute for wireless sometimes they also have lovely lav microphones which give a lovely rich sound.