Tascam DR-10CS - where have you been all my life. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 24th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Tascam DR-10CS - where have you been all my life.

Anyone know if there is a way to disable the automatic gain function? Seems silly to include auto levels in a device aimed at professionals, especially in one that records a secondary, quieter backup track.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

You have auto level which can be switched to on or off.

The Mic gain can be set to low med and high, I have found low to be way to quiet. At my next wedding I will be setting it to high. I am hoping the lower DB track will be okay for the groom where the lav is and the high will be good for the bride whodoes not have a lab and is coming out quite.
Old October 25th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #18
Major Player

I have a DR-10CS on the groom and I set it to High. I also have a second unit placed on the officiant and I set it to Mid. The reason is that the first officiant that I put this device on spoke loudly enough that even the backup track clipped at times. It seems that most officiants I work with tend to speak more loudly than the bride or groom since they know they need to project, so the Mid setting works well.

I use my Sennheiser ME-2 lavs with these and I noticed that they are much more sensitive than Countryman B3s or Tram TR50s (at least when hooked up to the Tascam DR-10CS). Because of this, I prefer using the ME-2 lavs because I can set the gain to High on the groom and I get a very nice level for him with the backup track, and the main track sounds great when the bride speaks since she's usually quieter.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Whats the battery life like? I've just been reading the specs and it says up to 8 hours, is this about right? I usually leave all my Zoom H1s just running all day (that way I only have to sync them once in post). They run all day even on the longest shoots (15 hours plus).

Matt
Mathew Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Williams View Post
Whats the battery life like? I've just been reading the specs and it says up to 8 hours, is this about right? I usually leave all my Zoom H1s just running all day (that way I only have to sync them once in post). They run all day even on the longest shoots (15 hours plus).

Matt
That's an interesting approach. Whilst I do leave my audio devices on for the Ceremony, Speeches and 1st Dance, they're turned off in between. The only exception is if I'm plugged into the sound desk, then I'll leave it on but do random checks to ensure its running.
Whilst it adds time to syncing, only by say 15 minutes per Wedding at most and benefits me in smaller file sizes, batteries less drained so takes less time to recharge (useful for multiple day Weddings) and less time to upload to Premiere as it conforms the audio.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 04:59 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Whats the battery life like?
I've never let the battery run down all the way so I'm not sure how long it go for until it dies. It seems to run down a bit faster than I expected, so I would be surprised if it lasted more than 5 hours. It only uses a single AAA battery so I just replace it after each ceremony in order to ensure that it doesn't die on me.
Old October 27th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Really grateful for this thread, been looking for something smaller than the H1 for ages and this really is tiny! Also love it has a Sennheiser screw adapter as I'd been having issues with the H1 mic socket. Seems from the manual that came with it it will run for about 15 hours with the right battery which is great. One question - on the website description it says:

"The recording switch uses a sliding mechanism. This prevents misoperation from accidentally pressing a button. In addition, the hold function can prevent recording from being stopped by accidental contact with a button."

But I can't see a hold function, or anything about this in the manual. Is there any way to stop the buttons on the front accidentally being pressed while in someone's pocket for example?
Old October 27th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Mathew

You really don't need a hold, it would be almost impossible to accidentally switch off as they are heavily sprung, in actual fact I struggle to switch them off at times as it takes concentration.
Old October 27th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I do however miss a red light to tell me it's recording - a white blob somehow is not comforting
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Tested it with alkaline and rechargeable batteries - battery life 5 hours. Tested it with a lithium battery - lasted 15 hours of continuous recording :) Very impressed, ordered another couple. Thanks for the tip!
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #26
Major Player

That's good to know that a lithium battery will last 15 hours in it. I haven't tried lithium batteries in any of my devices but it may be worth it for 3 times the battery life.
Old October 30th, 2015, 01:31 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Tested it with alkaline and rechargeable batteries - battery life 5 hours. Tested it with a lithium battery - lasted 15 hours of continuous recording :) Very impressed, ordered another couple. Thanks for the tip!
Are lithium rechargeable or throwaway, thanks for the tip
Old October 30th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Lithium batts are not rechargeable. I think you can get lithium-ion batts that are rechargeable but don't have quite the capacity of lithium - also seem very hard to come by and expensive.
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #29
Major Player

So how does the Juciedlink DAR123 compared head to head with the Tascam DR-10CS for the same price, what is the pros and cons of each??
David Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Seems like they are out of stock at Juno: vinyl, DJ & studio equipment from the world s favourite music store , on ebay it's double price!!!

Anywhere else I can buy this in north america? (Canada)

Thanks
Julius Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques