What gives with these lights - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 29th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: What gives with these lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
As long as my camera reproduces what the lighting was, I never see a problem.
The problem is that the cameras do not reproduce the lighting as it was seen. The deeply pink image that Robert posted is typical. I'm sure it did not look as pink as that at the time. The cameras overemphasis the depth of colour & it's impossible to white balance it out. I started a thread on this forum about the issue with the pink lights over 3 years ago. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...reception.html

Obviously from the OP there are now blue lights that do the same.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The problem is that the cameras do not reproduce the lighting as it was seen. The deeply pink image that Robert posted is typical. I'm sure it did not look as pink as that at the time. The cameras overemphasis the depth of colour & it's impossible to white balance it out. I started a thread on this forum about the issue with the pink lights over 3 years ago. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...reception.html

Obviously from the OP there are now blue lights that do the same.
The pink picture you refer to was more to illustrate the use of lasers and the dots you see on people rather than the colour and its hard to judge lighting from a single small frame. I've never denied that cameras can't reproduce some lighting. However as long as a close enough proximation is found, I don't see any reason for the couple to complain. They're not going to expect natural skin tones from such deep lighting. Well I've never been picked up on it despite a few occasions of intence lighting.

The issues mentioned here aren't just strong blue or pink lighting, but lasers producing dots on people, fast changing colours and other lighting effects some feel is unflattering or aesthetically displeasing. All of which I don't see myself as an issue. Cases where my camera can't reproduce to an acceptable standard the lighting effects being used, then yes this is an issue, but one equally to be blamed on my camera gear as some cameras handle it better than others. However good colour and effective lighting are issues for me throughout the day and frankly a lack of any lighting is more a concern than examples seen here.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
The pink picture you refer to was more to illustrate the use of lasers and the dots you see on people rather than the colour and its hard to judge lighting from a single small frame. I've never denied that cameras can't reproduce some lighting. However as long as a close enough proximation is found, I don't see any reason for the couple to complain. They're not going to expect natural skin tones from such deep lighting. Well I've never been picked up on it despite a few occasions of intence lighting.

The issues mentioned here aren't just strong blue or pink lighting, but lasers producing dots on people, fast changing colours and other lighting effects some feel is unflattering or aesthetically displeasing. All of which I don't see myself as an issue. Cases where my camera can't reproduce to an acceptable standard the lighting effects being used, then yes this is an issue, but one equally to be blamed on my camera gear as some cameras handle it better than others. However good colour and effective lighting are issues for me throughout the day and frankly a lack of any lighting is more a concern than examples seen here.
I have no problem with lasers dots & changing colours etc & neither do the cameras. The colours may not be accurate but as it's all so fast moving & changing then nobody notices. The deep saturated pink or blue where the cameras overemphasise the intensity of the colour is a problem for which there is no solution other than adding your own very bright white light.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I could find no WB temperature that made them look vaguely human!
That's bad... worst I've seen. I wondered if it was at all salvageable. With a bit of massaging in post it could be pulled back to some degree of normal. It could look more like this? I suppose one could leave some blue in the scene if you wished.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
What gives with these lights-led.jpg   What gives with these lights-blue-led-more-like-.jpg  

Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 04:44 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I just grabbed these images from a show a couple of weeks ago - one of my cameras is fixed in a position and simply feeds a couple of video monitors backstage - fixed focus but left on auto exposure, in this case on the spot setting which closes the iris a little to compensate for the typical theatrical hotspot scenario. The magenta lighting and the blue are simply horrible. The trouble is, they look really nice to the eye - the JVC camera (a 5100) has real issues with these two colours - the mixed lighting image is fine, and looks very similar. In my job I also shoot stills on DSLRs (not video) and I updated one and the newer one also has colour issues - not this blowout - but it finds red through to blue very difficult. It has issues with accurate rendering of these colours - they all seem identical. The older camera is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
What gives with these lights-jk1lx.jpg   What gives with these lights-jk2lx.jpg  

What gives with these lights-jk3lx.jpg   What gives with these lights-jk4lx.jpg  

Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques