Beholder 3 MS1 axis gimbal - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 13th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Beholder 3 MS1 axis gimbal

I have 3 batteries for my gimbal and occasionally 1 of those will say full charge, when it isn't. I've taken to charging all 3 after use then giving them another charge before the day just in case. Not sure why the battery doesn't charge first time in rare cases, but its best never to always believe those green lights.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I can't charge the batteries separately as they are too large to fit in a standard battery loader, as usual these kind of products always have strange sized and non standard batteries. To load them I need to leave all 3 in the batterycage they are in which slides into the handle of the gimbal and attach a mini usb cable in that cage and connect that cable either to the pc or to a adapter and a power socket.

First time this happened, now it's loaded again so have to see how it looks like tomorrow.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #18
Trustee

Just got my Beholder MS1 and balanced my NEX 5N on it ...

I needed ideas for cool steadicam shots.

And came across this ...

Wow

James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Just got my Beholder MS1 and balanced my NEX 5N on it ...

I needed ideas for cool steadicam shots.

And came across this ...

Wow
James, you are a bit late finding that clip as it's one of the classic pieces of Steadicam work even more impressive for the fact that it's live & no retakes are possible. Very risky as there are several places where he could literally have fallen flat on his face.

Check out Steadishots.org : A Tribute and Study of Steadicam Operators and Their Work for a wonderful collection of Steadicam work with descriptions & critiques from the operators. The one that everyone quotes as a classic Steadicam shot is Larry McConkey's work on 'Goodfellas' Steadishots.org : Steadicam Shot by Larry McConkey from Goodfellas. My particular favourites are Peter Robinson for that amazing 5 minute single-take shot of the beach & evacuation from Dunkirk from 'Atonement' Steadishots.org : Steadicam Shot by Peter Robertson from Atonement plus Charles Papert for a scene from 'Ugly Betty' where there is so much going on & the choreography is fantastic Steadishots.org : Steadicam Shot by Charles Papert from Ugly Betty

We have to applaud the physical skill & co-ordination of the Steadicam operators but these clips show that even if operating a Steadicam was to become to some extent deskilled by use of an electronic gimbal there is still an enormous amount of skill & creativity in moving & framing the shots that goes far beyond simply being able to move the camera around without introducing wobbles.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
And came across this ...
They probably copied it from me, did this once during the first dance, guests did look a bit weird at me after that, don't know why.

Actually, a few years back before I got a steadicam I hired a steadicam operator with a pilot, I didn't give him much instructions and just let him do his thing, only during the first dance he did a similar circular move around the couple running like an idiot, the footage looked very cool but when I saw him running around the couple I was so embarrassed I told him afterwards never ever to do that again. :)
Old June 17th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I wonder if I can re-create 'The Russian Ark' with my Merlin!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
James, you are a bit late finding that clip as it's one of the classic pieces of Steadicam work even more impressive for the fact that it's live & no retakes are possible. Very risky as there are several places where he could literally have fallen flat on his face.

Check out Steadishots.org : A Tribute and Study of Steadicam Operators and Their Work for a wonderful collection of Steadicam work with descriptions & critiques from the operators. The one that everyone quotes as a classic Steadicam shot is Larry McConkey's work on 'Goodfellas' Steadishots.org : Steadicam Shot by Larry McConkey from Goodfellas. My particular favourites are Peter Robinson for that amazing 5 minute single-take shot of the beach & evacuation from Dunkirk from 'Atonement' Steadishots.org : Steadicam Shot by Peter Robertson from Atonement plus Charles Papert for a scene from 'Ugly Betty' where there is so much going on & the choreography is fantastic Steadishots.org : Steadicam Shot by Charles Papert from Ugly Betty

We have to applaud the physical skill & co-ordination of the Steadicam operators but these clips show that even if operating a Steadicam was to become to some extent deskilled by use of an electronic gimbal there is still an enormous amount of skill & creativity in moving & framing the shots that goes far beyond simply being able to move the camera around without introducing wobbles.
Completely agree Nigel.

Stunning sequences. I have always loved the Goodfellas one.

It's a whole different ball game being aware of your surroundings whilst keeping an eye on the screen / framing of your shot whilst using a steadicam. And I thought framing static shots were tricky !
Old June 17th, 2016, 08:51 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
They probably copied it from me, did this once during the first dance, guests did look a bit weird at me after that, don't know why.

Actually, a few years back before I got a steadicam I hired a steadicam operator with a pilot, I didn't give him much instructions and just let him do his thing, only during the first dance he did a similar circular move around the couple running like an idiot, the footage looked very cool but when I saw him running around the couple I was so embarrassed I told him afterwards never ever to do that again. :)
Haha, I agree. Definitely not to be done at a wedding. I know couples certainly love ubobtrusive operators.

I genuinely don't think my MS1 will get much use. I have always preferred stable static shots and slider shots for opening sequences at weddings anyway. My MS1 will be used a lot during park/outdoor shoots if anything.
Old June 17th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I thought I would post this clip too in case there is anybody who hasn't seen this particular Steadicam work before. This is another from Larry McConkey this time on the Martin Scorsese film 'Hugo' & gives an interesting behind the scenes view as he is flying a 3D camera & stuck a GoPro on the rig so you get to see some of what is going on around the set out of frame.
Old June 17th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Here's the finished scene with all VFX added & the GoPro footage as a PiP

Old June 17th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
I genuinely don't think my MS1 will get much use.
My steadicam work has been particularly important for my trailers, I have used it during the photoshoot but won't anymore as the shoot is often outside the venue in a city and I don't like to drag this thing along, once I arrive at the venue though it gets used quite a lot, The most important parts when I always use it is when the couple enters the venue, during the first dance and when they bring in the cake.
For the remaining parts it's venue shots or when everyone is outside at a reception it's always nice to get a Steadicam shot of that, I also following the waiters serving the food and drinks, just anything that the steadicam is beneficial for.

I have used a slider in the past but I find a steadicam much more versatile, I can do sliding moves, crane moves and I find it very useful to capture events that are difficult to capture with a camera on a tripod, like sometimes they give flowers to both parents at the same time and with the steadicam I can move wherever is the best position and I can use everything in one continuous shot no matter where I move to with the camera.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 02:51 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Oh how I'd like to get a good shot of the couple entering the venue - nearly always one of my least satisfying shots of the day. The doors open and the couple enter to thundering applause and then....well that's as much as I get as the crowded tables means the bride goes first, and the groom has to follow about 6 foot behind, staring intently down trying not to step on her dress!
Old June 23rd, 2016, 03:04 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I always give the couple the tip to let the groom go first and that he holds her hand or something like that, how many times I have witnessed the groom stepping on the dress or even worse the veil (not sure if that's the right name but it's the part they attach to the brides hair and it can be like 3 meters long) and I have seen the brides head snapping back and the veil flying out of her hair because the groom stepped on it. It also looks ridiculous when you see the groom hopping behind the bride trying to hold on to her hand while avoiding the dress. I always follow the couple from behind and then while I go slowly lift the steadicam up high so you get to see the entire venue as well. This gives the photog all the room he need for the photos that he takes from the front.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 04:15 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Nice tip Noa - have a word first so the groom goes in front - :)
Old June 23rd, 2016, 06:10 AM   #30
Major Player

Thanks Noa, these are very good tips on positioning yourself correctly.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques