Your Favorite 2015 Wedding Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 14th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Your Favorite 2015 Wedding Film

Now that our 2015 wedding season is coming to an end (stateside at least), it would be fun to post our single favorite/best wedding film from this year. Not to compare/contrast, but simply show off our single favorite film to an audience who will appreciate it in ways different and perhaps better than our traditional audience.

It may also be helpful to include a brief description on the camera/equipment used.

This is purely meant for fun, but it could also be a way for all of us to improve and pickup tips/tricks/methods for next year :)
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Your Favorite 2015 Wedding Film

I think the threadstarter should post his and then I"m sure the rest will follow :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Mines sorta easy, in a way. In the spring, I read this arcile, Her childhood snatched, a teen girl looks forward to her quinceañera - philly-archives , which was quite moving. In short, a family in Camden NJ (itself one of the worst cities in the US), had a break in where the intruder attacked the girl, and when the 6 year old brother came out he was killed. Beyond tragic. I remember the story to some extent, but 3 years later news stories tend to fade from my memory. Anyway, in reading the followup article I offered to shoot her quinceanera for them, pro-bono.

It went great, stylistically myb not my best, but I captured alot & got the chance to experiment a bit. This was a week after Kyle Root posted about his first attempt at a cinematic look and I thought to myself(that morning in fact), try using the Sony VG900 more on this, with its interchangable lenses. Typically its my backup to my Z5U. So I went for it. It came out great (relatively speaking), the Mom totally appreciated it, as did the family. The kids are incredibly strong, taking after their mother. I know it looks like whes happy and laughing alot early on, but she really wasnt. Her Mom said she was glad she was happy and laughing a bit as she wasnt sure how she we be that day, so I made sure to include all the footage of it I had. The 1:09 clip is mostly how it was, understandably. At the Blessed Mary scene, the girl broke down for a full 3:15, one of the most tragic things Ive seen, definitely the saddest Ive shot.

Gave me a whole new perspective on what we have in life, and how the little things brides can be upset about are petty (I had one very upset with the DJ uplights were blue not amber. Oh the irony). That said, a true wedding favorite would be this one:

Worked with a great photog who was nice in giving me a quick moment for a shot before/after getting his (he respected the slider:)

Last edited by David Barnett; November 14th, 2015 at 12:02 PM.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Sure I'll play. Here's one of my favorites this year. I like that they had a donut truck to at their wedding and the readings during the ceremony were unique.

Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It's interesting seeing different shooting styles, I am following a weddingchannel on vimeo and it's flooded every day with new videos, if I have time I always watch a few which is good to get new ideas.

About my favorite wedding video, when do you know you have good material for a video? That's when you have a awesome location, meaningful speeches, a second shooter and a American tradition wedding :) I had one this year from a American/Belgian couple in a beautiful city and shot it together with a member from this forum, I normally always shoot alone. I wish I could do US tradition weddings every week, they are so much easier to shoot, especially the ceremony and their speeches sound epic, even the way they speak sounds like in a movie. :)

Here it is, has been posted here before and was shot on a ax100, rx10, gh3, gh4, a blackbird, some tripods and a monopod.

Old November 15th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #6
Major Player

^^^ My favourite wedding film of this year too, as a second shooter!

I'll play. Here's a re-edit of my 5th wedding film. This wedding was shot in the Lake District at a beautiful venue, and was a private affair with close friends and family.

I re-edited the film with commercially licensed music for my website, and I am pleased with how the re-edit went.

Hoping to have steadicam shots in my next wedding film of the year in 2016... I think it'll really raise the production value... here's to 2016!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Trustee

I can't wait to be able to watch all of these (and more, hopefully).

My favorite isn't perfect, but, I'm pleased with the quality (other than the first dance, which should have been better). I shot most of the day by myself - which is going to be very important going forward. Last wedding I checked and I used about 90 seconds of the 15 minutes that wasn't my two cameras I run.

I was also pretty happy with the music/pacing/edit.

15 minute "wedding film" (I sell it as the one for the B&G to watch over and over)

And the 5'er

Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Major Player

OK, I'm faily behind - I've still 18 edits from this seasons to do, and another 5 weddings before the year is over.
Don't think this will be the best of 2015, but it's up there as best so far.

My edits are all chronological - I refuse to throw in the 'shot of the day' from the first frame to hook people - so you may need to bare with it and let the day unfold as it unfolded for the B&G themselves.

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Every time I make a wedding film, I try to make it better than the last. I am never fully happy and am always balancing deadlines with creative satisfaction. But the challenge and desire of wanting to striving to improve is what keeps me fully invested and interested in wedding videography.

My most recent video is therefore my favorite. I was waiting on the Bride's approval before I could post it, which is why I didn't include a link in my OP. I shoot on the GH3/4 and use a slider and Ronin and various monopods. Most of my lenses are primes in this video.

I haven't watched everyone's yet, but I really like how Daniel avoids some of the stereotypical and oftentimes obligatory wedding shots and yet still manages to tell a very great story. I also have enjoyed the image quality of Noa's and some of the "swish" transitions. Noa: since we shoot on much of the same gear, I'm curious what shots in this video are from the ax100.

Thanks for posting these! Can't wait to see more.
Old November 15th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Well, here's my favorite of this year..Had a blast with them....reception was a bit of a challenge because of the djs lights, but I think it worked out at the end.

Shot all on canon 7d...slider,steadicam, with some twixtor.

P.S Noa, how did you get your company name in the vimeo player box? Thanks
Julius Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
how did you get your company name in the vimeo player box?
That's an option you have with the pro account on vimeo, I switch to a plus account recently because I couldn't see the value of the pro account for 3 times the cost of plus and it looks that the videos where my logo was included still have the logo now, it's only not possible anymore to add that on new videos I upload.

Quote:
I'm curious what shots in this video are from the ax100.
3 clips from the ax100 in there, at 03:33, then at 03:57 (the zoom you see was done in post) and 05:18
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post

My edits are all chronological - I refuse to throw in the 'shot of the day' from the first frame to hook people - so you may need to bare with it and let the day unfold as it unfolded for the B&G themselves.
Out of curiosity, is there a big reason why you refuse to throw in the shot of the day?
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Regular Crew

My favorite of 2015 is this one.

Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Smith View Post
Well, here's my favorite of this year..Had a blast with them....reception was a bit of a challenge because of the djs lights, but I think it worked out at the end.

I love that veil shot! I'm guessing you had some help with someone dropping it as you did a slider shot and then reversed the clip?
Old November 16th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #15
New Boot

Hi all. Ian - great thread, thanks for starting.

I've been shooting weddings for about 12 months in Australia, and my favourite so far this year is below. Our season is obviously reversed and coming into summer here, so lots more to edit.

I tend to shoot solo and I found this wedding was a really solid advancement on my earlier films, most noticeably because it's the first where I used a slider. Any thoughts/feedback obviously welcome.

Mitch Phillips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques